Why I believe Jordan Phillips wasn't retained

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I don’t know this for a fact, but I can surmise from their offseason that they felt missed tackles were a problem in 2019.

Phillips missed 11 tackles last year; that’s an absurd amount for a guy that played 543 snaps. For comparison’s sake, everyone’s favorite whipping boy—Star Lotuleilei—missed 3 tackles in 482 snaps.

The guy that will most likely replace Jordan, Vernon Butler, missed only 2 tackles in 440 snaps in 2019.

Star didn’t beat his man enough to get enough tackle opportunities to miss.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DJB said:

Phillip's was upgraded and at a reasonable cost. 

He also took a lot of unnecessary penalties which hurt the team. 

I like Phillips but not at 10 million per same goes for Lawson. I also think Frazier defense brought out the best in Phillips. I don't see Jordan getting close to another 9.5 sack season. If you watch the tape Jordan had alot of coverage sacks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

From my understanding, he was offered 8 mil and took 10 elsewhere.  We were willing to bring him back at our price, and were fine if he wanted more elsewhere. 

I don’t think there was more to it than that 

The Pats have done this for years.  They decide what a player is worth to them and hold firm.  If the player wants any more, they let him walk.  They don't worry about keeping their own just for the sake of keeping their own.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes Phillips is a talented player. At his size, with his athleticism he is a freak and he ended up in the right spot in Buffalo

And McDermott put him in the best spot to succeed because he's a great defensive coach

What Phillips wasn't great at was playing his 1-11. Which is the most important part of McDermott's defense

All 11 players doing their job to make the defense successful. While Phillips certainly bought into the culture and team he still liked to free-lance

He didn't like to take 2 gaps when asked and would rather shoot the game hurting our run defense at times. In a front 4 scheme where gap integrity is key, Phillips lacked that detail

Yes a talented player but McDermott will get that out of guys who play his way 100% of the time , not 75%

Buffalo 716 - Always love your football insight and you know the details. Do you think guys on one year contracts tend to go for the eye popping stats as opposed to “doing their jobs” at times?  That is, Phillips was going for the sack at all cost knowing that stat would be his pay day, not % of missed tackles?

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Star didn’t beat his man enough to get enough tackle opportunities to miss.

Star didn’t beat his man men enough to get enough tackle opportunities to miss.

Even though this is a Jordan Phillips thread, I thought I'd fix that for you.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Buffalo 716 - Always love your football insight and you know the details. Do you think guys on one year contracts tend to go for the eye popping stats as opposed to “doing their jobs” at times?  That is, Phillips was going for the sack at all cost knowing that stat would be his pay day, not % of missed tackles?

Of course I think that happens. Most players have 1 chance at a pay day

I presume Phillips leaving will net us a compensatory pick. The fact that we were able to coach him up to what was likely his best year as a pro speaks volumes about how well Beane and McDermott compliment each other. To get compensation for a player who before getting here was marginal is to create value from next to nothing. I'm sure Phillips worked hard for his new contract and I wish him well. I also have no doubt that Beane and McDermott know that he was the beneficiary of his teammates play rather than the sole reason for his increased sack numbers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Don't overthink it.  They drafted Oliver the year before.  They were not going to invest that much for a back-up.  Like others have said, Phillips and Lawson were a by-product of the secondary providing great coverage.  It was pretty rare to see clean 1:1 wins by the DL that affected the QB early in the play.  Both hustled and played to the whistle which earned them their money.  They will be fine without Lawson and Williams.  I would have kept Lawson and cut Murphy but once McD and Beane make up their mind they rarely change it - see Peterman, Gore, KB, Sammy, and Dareus. 

Biggest weakness last yer was lack of pass rush and it hasn't gotten any better.  RT is probably better even if Ford doesn't get better.  That leaves back-up RB and P as the other libilities.  I'd be fine if the first two picks were OLB.  Better yet I'd move Edmunds to OLB as I'm still not convinced he is the answer at MLB.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes Phillips is a talented player. At his size, with his athleticism he is a freak and he ended up in the right spot in Buffalo

And McDermott put him in the best spot to succeed because he's a great defensive coach

What Phillips wasn't great at was playing his 1-11. Which is the most important part of McDermott's defense

All 11 players doing their job to make the defense successful. While Phillips certainly bought into the culture and team he still liked to free-lance

He didn't like to take 2 gaps when asked and would rather shoot the game hurting our run defense at times. In a front 4 scheme where gap integrity is key, Phillips lacked that detail

Yes a talented player but McDermott will get that out of guys who play his way 100% of the time , not 75%

Great point and I agree. 

Never forget him missing a fumble recovery because he started celebrating because of a sack and didn't even see the ball , vs Miami.

We upgraded at DT big time , Butler , QJeff and when you also account Harry and Oliver in year 2. 

He seemed to come up big in big moments. I agree with letting Shaq go. Philips will be missed even though he was a liability to the run at times. He will mostly be missed in short yardage and goal line situations. He was huge for us last year in that department. I hope the other guys can step up.

Beane had a number of his worth and he stuck to it.  We invested too heavily at that position in the draft to pay him 10 million a year even though I loved the energy he brought to the defense and the crowd.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Star didn’t beat his man men enough to get enough tackle opportunities to miss.

Even though this is a Jordan Phillips thread, I thought I'd fix that for you.

You can watch the tape as much as you want and see how many times Star got beat being single teamed. There’s a reason the dude took a pay cut, when JP got offered $8M.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You can watch the tape as much as you want and see how many times Star got beat being single teamed. There’s a reason the dude took a pay cut, when JP got offered $8M.

I have. It's not what you make it out to be. Not even close. Again, this is a JP thread. Not a Star bashing thread. You've had plenty of chances for that.