“Old” movies to watch with kids

22 hours ago, frogger said:

I’ve stumbled onto some old Dark 80’s Disney movies.  You might forget Disney was dark.

Not at all.

Disney has had it's dark moments from way back.

Which 80's Disney movies are you referring to?

On 3/30/2020 at 12:06 PM, billsfan89 said:

Growing up in the 90's these are some of the movies that I really enjoyed as a kid. 

Original Star Wars Trilogy. 

ET

Pee Wee's Big Adventure (might have some scary/mature content by kids standards) 

Space Jam

Goonies

Batman 1989 (and Batman Returns if you don't mind more mature content) 

The Sandlot

I could think of some more but those are just off the top of my head. I also would recommend checking out some 90's kids TV shows. 90's Nickelodeon shows like Pete and Pete, Rugrats, Ren and Stimpy, Doug, Hey Arnold, and the like are all really good and hold up as a good watch. I would also recommend some other shows from that era like Animanics, Pinky and the Brain, Tiny Toons, Batman the Animated Series, X-Men Animated Series, and Recess. 

Ren and Stimpy, huh?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DX0VTZP-X7Sk&ved=2ahUKEwix3L_s3cXoAhUBCawKHfBECx4QwqsBMAN6BAgHEA0&usg=AOvVaw2h29xyb_P4LN77B7W-glKe

1 minute ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

That was from the Spike TV version they did which was more adult oriented haha. But the Nick show while a bit more risqué for a cartoon is mostly good for kids to watch (depending on how old and to what degree you let them watch more risqué stuff.) 

The problem with watching your childhood favorites with your kids is realizing that half the movies you loved growing up and remember fondly were really just shite.

That said, I'm still going to watch all the Steven Seagal movies with my son. Such are the sacrifices we make for children.

50 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

The problem with watching your childhood favorites with your kids is realizing that half the movies you loved growing up and remember fondly were really just shite.

That said, I'm still going to watch all the Steven Seagal movies with my son. Such are the sacrifices we make for children.

I’m pretty sure Steven Seagal movies have always been pretty bad.

jean Claude van damm movies, on the other hand— that’s some classic stuff. I am now in the mood for Bloodsport! 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I’m pretty sure Steven Seagal movies have always been pretty bad.

jean Claude van damm movies, on the other hand— that’s some classic stuff. I am now in the mood for Bloodsport! 

No way man. When I was 12 there was nothing better than that cool tough guy caricature that calmly and effortlessly took out large groups of goons who each conveniently waited their turn to telegraph wild haymakers.

It wasn't until I watched it as an adult that it became the silly masturbatory fantasy of another grown man. Once the magic is gone it never comes back.

• Haha (+1) 2

Jason and the Argonauts or one of the other Ray HarryHausen effects movies.  I would have thought this would really go over well with a 10 year old.  Then after the movie you can bond while explaining how they did the skeleton scene.  I believe there are video's on youtube that explain the method although they might not be that exact scene.

Harryhausen must have been one patient individual.

Edited by Greybeard
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/29/2020 at 12:25 PM, Augie said:

Did you go home and paint the fence? 

Guessing its more of was on wax off.

I highly recommend Holes ( not sure of the apostrophe, for those that care)

Nanny McFee is also a good one

Narnia Chronicles 

Edited by Buffalophil1948

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Watched Flight of the Navigator tonight.  My 10 year old seemed to enjoy it...the 6 year old lost interest quickly.  It’s really tough to find movies that they both are into.

Did the adults find it entertaining at all?  I enjoyed it when my kids were young.

”compliance”