“Old” movies to watch with kids

Growing up in the 90's these are some of the movies that I really enjoyed as a kid. 

Original Star Wars Trilogy. 

ET

Pee Wee's Big Adventure (might have some scary/mature content by kids standards) 

Space Jam

Goonies

Batman 1989 (and Batman Returns if you don't mind more mature content) 

The Sandlot

I could think of some more but those are just off the top of my head. I also would recommend checking out some 90's kids TV shows. 90's Nickelodeon shows like Pete and Pete, Rugrats, Ren and Stimpy, Doug, Hey Arnold, and the like are all really good and hold up as a good watch. I would also recommend some other shows from that era like Animanics, Pinky and the Brain, Tiny Toons, Batman the Animated Series, X-Men Animated Series, and Recess. 

22 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Anyone remember The Never Ending Story?  I remember liking that movie as a kid.

Except that scene where the horse dies.

Has anyone suggested Labyrinth, Princess Bride or The Wizard yet or even Little Monsters? 

Not sure if this came up yet, but "The Kid" with Bruce Willis is one of my favorites.  Disney movie, great family film.

I also watched "The Jerk" with my son when he was about 12, he loved it.  It's borderline family, depends on your tolerance level. 

50 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

Fantasia ?

I was taking a class a few years ago, and in an off-topic discussion, this movie was mentioned. One student said they hated it. The professor responded in a very authoritative, professorial voice, "Well - there are ways to see that movie, and there are ... better ways to see that movie."

Half of the class laughed, and the others just had a puzzled look on their faces.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

Fantasia ?

48 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I was taking a class a few years ago, and in an off-topic discussion, this movie was mentioned. One student said they hated it. The professor responded in a very authoritative, professorial voice, "Well - there are ways to see that movie, and there are ... better ways to see that movie."

Half of the class laughed, and the others just had a puzzled look on their faces.

My all-time favorite Disney movie.

Made an enormous impression on me as a child. Way ahead of it's time and a true art film.

Yes, it's popularity did not reach it's height until the 1960's, but it's good to see that it's place in film history is as one of the all-time greats.

On 3/29/2020 at 4:14 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Monster Squad, Short Circuit, Big Trouble in Little China, Karate Kid, Lost Boys, Little Shop of Horrors, Howard the Duck.....these are movies I remember watching as a kid. Not sure if they are all age appropriate these days.....

Add Over The Top, Never Ending Story, and The Princess Bride to this list

Edit #2: All the Indiana Jones Flicks & Flight of the Navigator 

I really enjoyed Flight if the Navigator when my kids were young.  That one is under the radar.  I’ve mentioned it a few times in conversation and many people don’t even know about it. 

my wife says The Russians are Coming.  I don’t remember that one. 

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

I really enjoyed Flight if the Navigator when my kids were young.  That one is under the radar.  I’ve mentioned it a few times in conversation and many people don’t even know about it. 

my wife says The Russians are Coming.  I don’t remember that one. 

I totally forgot this film in terms of discussion but totally loved it as a kid, now it makes me think of Space Camp. 

13 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I’ve never seen Bridge to Terabithia, but that was a book I read as a kid that made such a lasting impression. 

Relatively new... 2007.  Zooey Deschanel. AnnaSophia Robb...

Don't think I am going native. Soft.  My wife is a librarian.  These I remember...

p30599_v_v8_aa.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

Let's go real old school....

King Kong(1933). Need I say more?

Bringing Up Baby. Classic screwball comedy with Cary Grant & Katharine Hepburn.

The films and shorts of Laurel & Hardy. Who doesn't love these guys?