“Old” movies to watch with kids

I’m growing tired of watching Pixar/Disney movies.  Last night we watched The Goonies as a family and my kids (10 & 6) absolutely LOVED it!  We had to cover my youngest’s eyes and ears a couple times (e.g., Chunk’s hand in the blender scene), but overall the whole family enjoyed.

We have ET next on our list.  What are some other good “classic” family movies to watch?

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

So far this month?

Honey I shrunk the kids

Gremlins

Rookie of the year

Watched Honey I Shrunk the Kids last week.  They liked that.  Gremlins and ROY are good recommendations, thanks.  

Sandlot is another one I was just thinking about.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’m growing tired of watching Pixar/Disney movies.  Last night we watched The Goonies as a family and my kids (10 & 6) absolutely LOVED it!  We had to cover my youngest’s eyes and ears a couple times (e.g., Chunk’s hand in the blender scene), but overall the whole family enjoyed.

We have ET next on our list.  What are some other good “classic” family movies to watch?

my kids really like The Sound of Music and the original Pinocchio. That said, I didn’t realize there were scenes in Pinocchio of him smoking cigars when he was being a “bad” kid. Not ideal for kids under age 8 to see, IMO.

BTW, we never really got into a lot of Disney and Pixar movies, except Frozen. Been watching some of them recently and shocked at how good some of them are. The movie “Inside Out” is totally genius. I can’t believe someone came up with that concept—

it’s really brilliant. Just watched “Ralph breaks the internet” last night and it was similar in the sense of being really imaginative with how the internet worked. 

4 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

my kids really like The Sound of Music and the original Pinocchio. That said, I didn’t realize there were scenes in Pinocchio of him smoking cigars when he was being a “bad” kid. Not ideal for kids under age 8 to see, IMO.

BTW, we never really got into a lot of Disney and Pixar movies, except Frozen. Been watching some of them recently and shocked at how good some of them are. The movie “Inside Out” is totally genius. I can’t believe someone came up with that concept—

it’s really brilliant. Just watched “Ralph breaks the internet” last night and it was similar in the sense of being really imaginative with how the internet worked. 

Yeah, I’m not saying the Disney/Pixar movies are bad.  They’re actually very good and entertaining for adults.  We’ve just watched them all a million times, and looking for a change of pace.  

I was thinking of watching Major League with my 10 year old.  I think he could handle it.  He’s seen all the Die Hard movies...

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, I’m not saying the Disney/Pixar movies are bad.  They’re actually very good and entertaining for adults.  We’ve just watched them all a million times, and looking for a change of pace.  

I was thinking of watching Major League with my 10 year old.  I think he could handle it.  He’s seen all the Die Hard movies...

I will tell you what changed my life around age 10– the original Karate Kid. Still my favorite movie to this day!! 

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I will tell you what changed my life around age 10– the original Karate Kid. Still my favorite movie to this day!! 

Did you go home and paint the fence? 

9 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Great one!  I know my boy has watched it, but it was a few years ago.  Would be appropriate for everyone now.  Love that movie.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

You said kids!

I’m looking for movies that would be fun for the whole family.  I’m sure my kids would get a kick out of Air Bud, but that would suck for my wife and I....

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Great one!  I know my boy has watched it, but it was a few years ago.  Would be appropriate for everyone now.  Love that movie.

I’m looking for movies that would be fun for the whole family.  I’m sure my kids would get a kick out of Air Bud, but that would suck for my wife and I....

What about the original pirates of the Caribbean? That is cool for 10 year olds and definitely watchable for adults

We are Marshall

Remember the Titans

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Doc Brown said:

There was no better time for movies if you were a kid growing up in the 90's.  Disney knew what they were doing back then.

I might be biased but I don't think there was a better time for growing up than in the 90s period.  It was such an awesome time 

• Like (+1) 1