The Iso: Dion Dawkins (The Players Tribune)

We have kids and nana’s bagging groceries and ringing food items yet we are going to worry about felons. Yikes. 

Hope everyone praises health workers and their grocery folks as much as they can.

Felons are down a ways on the list of concerns. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

We have kids and nana’s bagging groceries and ringing food items yet we are going to worry about felons. Yikes. 

Hope everyone praises health workers and their grocery folks as much as they can.

Evidently some in the "sports" media don't see it that way. Your handle is very apropos.

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It is just one article in a series of interviews with athletes about how they are dealing with the current environment. Why wouldn’t they print it? People have real lives not everything is pretty. 

Everyone worries about their Family. When we have crazy times like this ? we worry even more about the ones we cannot be near.

decent article

I like Dion Dawkins

go bills

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Aren't jail cells separated by more than 6 feet?  They should be fine.

Inmates in jail don't normally spend all their time in a cell.  Coronavirus realities will change practices to be sure, but jails normally have a common dining area, and opportunities for inmates to get exercise in various ways.  If coronavirus were brought into a facility by a corrections officer who did not know he had it, and the jail was operating normally, it could spread like wild fire.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SmokinES3 said:

True, he didn't exactly finely articulate his points. Do you get the impression from the article that Dawkins is an especially intelligent man? I certainly didn't get that impression from reading it....

Especially given the talk of releasing prisoners in the media the last couple of weeks, what would you want if you were in his shoes? I'm not saying that feeling would be invalid or even unreasonable. Just not feasible for society, and I believe other intelligent people should be able to see that. 

Oh, I just found the Wonderlic. Any guesses? I'll put the O/U at 14 just for kicks.

I firmly believe that releasing any rightfully incarcerated individuals due to the Covid situation is a huge mistake and shouldn’t even be thought of.

That being said, I find this post distasteful. You don’t know what Dawkins is advocating for(as you stated yourself) and your assumption that he isn’t smart after reading one piece of writing/seeing the results of a completely arbitrary testing process seems very unfair. Don’t assume his motives and then attack his intelligence. 

As for the discussion of releasing prisoners due to covid: 

I think the question has to be asked as to why prisoners are incarcerated to begin with. I think the easiest answer, that many would agree with, is that their actions have deemed them a threat to themselves and/or society. With that being the basis for their incarceration, I don’t see releasing them when society is at its most vulnerable as being a good call.

Its also worth noting, as anyone familiar with social work/law enforcement in general would testify, that a huge portion of released inmates have a lot of trouble finding basic necessities such as housing, clothing, and food upon their initial re-entry into society. How much more so in the crazy world we live in now when human services are running over capacity (if at all) and society as a whole is barely producing the necessary things for those already active members. 

In that sense, assuming probably safety measures are taken, I think Jails may end up being as safe, or safer for those people.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I firmly believe that releasing any rightfully incarcerated individuals due to the Covid situation is a huge mistake and shouldn’t even be thought of.

That being said, I find this post distasteful. You don’t know what Dawkins is advocating for(as you stated yourself) and your assumption that he isn’t smart after reading one piece of writing/seeing the results of a completely arbitrary testing process seems very unfair. Don’t assume his motives and then attack his intelligence. 

As for the discussion of releasing prisoners due to covid: 

I think the question has to be asked as to why prisoners are incarcerated to begin with. I think the easiest answer, that many would agree with, is that their actions have deemed them a threat to themselves and/or society. With that being the basis for their incarceration, I don’t see releasing them when society is at its most vulnerable as being a good call.

Its also worth noting, as anyone familiar with social work/law enforcement in general would testify, that a huge portion of released inmates have a lot of trouble finding basic necessities such as housing, clothing, and food upon their initial re-entry into society. How much more so in the crazy world we live in now when human services are running over capacity (if at all) and society as a whole is barely producing the necessary things for those already active members. 

In that sense, assuming probably safety measures are taken, I think Jails may end up being as safe, or safer for those people.

You are correct in that I should not have accused him of advocating for anything (well, at least knowingly). I should have edited that in my post.

As far as intelligence, a 12 Wonderlic speaks for itself IMO. It's intelligence and/or motivation (Yes, I'm aware of the '83 QB class and other early 80's QB's low scores and myriad other examples before anyone goes there. Motivation was obviously the dominant factor there given the historical performance). NTM Dawkins is frustratingly inconsistent given his talent. However, on the other hand, perhaps I was too harsh. He seems like a dedicated teammate and a good guy.

I also apologized as I didn't intend to attack Yolo in any way for posting the article. He is a fantastic contributor here, much like yourself.

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

some of us are capable to doing more than one thing at a time. You should try it.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SmokinES3 said:

You didn't answer the simple question either. Barr isn't releasing anyone convicted of violent crimes, sex crimes etc. Not even close.

Neither is anyone else nor did Dion Dawkins request such in his interview, so what are you talking about?  Make it plain.

Edited by purple haze

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

Neither is anyone else nor did Dion Dawkins request such in his interview, so what are you talking about?  Make it plain.

The predominantly leftist sports media knew of his situation and used him to further their agenda of releasing prisoners (pandering for future votes). Is that plain enough for you?

38 minutes ago, SmokinES3 said:

The predominantly leftist sports media knew of his situation and used him to further their agenda of releasing prisoners (pandering for future votes). Is that plain enough for you?

Before this thread get's locked, I wanted to call you an idiot.

:thumbdown:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

Prisoners with coronavirus is the last thing I care about, now the corrections officers is another story, I hope they are safe.

If the prisoners get Covid-19, good chance the officers get it too.

1 hour ago, SmokinES3 said:

You could have said that in the first place rather than take everybody through circles.  The prisoners are citizens and should be treated as such.  This also helps the C.O.'s who work at the facilities.  Can some prisoners be dispersed to less crowded facilities or can temporary facilities be created that would still be under security provisions, etc?  Probably.   Will that measure be taken?  Who knows.   Also, not every prisoner in jail are violent or sexual offenders.  There are people in jail for drug offenses; possession or distribution.  A lot of them.   They could be released.  

All that said, your conspiracy theories should go off the football discussion board.  There is an area for you to spin your tales regarding politics or other things.

Edited by purple haze
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is WAY too political and doesn’t belong here...not the original post, just the individuals who can’t contain themselves. 

For me, it’s a shame, during a global pandemic, that football fans have to take it here. When does human decency prevail?

Gah... all this back and forth. 

it’s an interview with Dawkins, he’s talking about being quarantined. They will be interviewing other athletes too. It’s part of their ISO series. I find it interesting ...I know how it affects my “boring” life, interesting to see what pro athletes are doing right now. He’s worried about his brother given the circumstances, I get that.  He also apparently has custody of his nephew while his brother in jail and that’s really impacted his life.  I did not see anything political about it, i thought it was just eye opening as to what one of our Bills are going through but I guess I’m oblivious. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

Prisoners with coronavirus is the last thing I care about, now the corrections officers is another story, I hope they are safe.

3 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

Yea but the worry is only for the officers.

So based on your statements, if the prisoners get sick and die, oh well? so people in prison should be treated like animals? I'm not advocating for them to be released, but I'm reading your responses and that's how it comes across.  Are they not people too? Do they not deserve the same opportunties to survive this pandemic that everyone else does?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, bbb said:

So what's the solution? 

Adequate healthcare in the prison system for starters.

In many prisons, you basically have to be in the process of dying before you'll be seen by a healthcare professional.

Prisoners are sentenced to incarceration for a period of time to repay their debt to society; unless they are sentenced to death, adequate healthcare should be a given. AFAIK, they don't have the option to purchase private insurance.

Dawkins is concerned about his brother's health. THE HORROR!

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SmokinES3 said:

True, he didn't exactly finely articulate his points. Do you get the impression from the article that Dawkins is an especially intelligent man? I certainly didn't get that impression from reading it....

Especially given the talk of releasing prisoners in the media the last couple of weeks, what would you want if you were in his shoes? I'm not saying that feeling would be invalid or even unreasonable. Just not feasible for society, and I believe other intelligent people should be able to see that. 

Oh, I just found the Wonderlic. Any guesses? I'll put the O/U at 14 just for kicks.

So...your guessing....got it

6 hours ago, SmokinES3 said:

And there you have it folks

you could have saved ppl time and trouble trying to figure out what you were trying to say so they could have ignored your post

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1