ESPN ranks all 2019 picks

59 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He was 7th in pass rush win rate as a DT last year. Why don’t you expect him top 10 this year? The 2nd half of last year he was arguably the 2nd most disruptive DT in the league behind Donald. There’s nothing, at anytime in his career, to suggest he will be anything but a star. He was a 1st team All-American as a true freshman. He was 1st team All-American all 3 years. I’m not sure what the rest of us are missing? 

Asked a different way, who are the 10 DTs that you expect to be better than him this year?

I just looked up the numbers and they are more impressive than I realized. As for the 10 I also realized I can only name 7 DT I think are better right now I was counting several ends as DT in my mind.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

If Oliver keeps progressing this year, builds on what he did last year,  and QuintinJefferson plays up to his potential (he's 26), the Bills defense may be even better this year, more unforgiving and with more big plays.

I think signing Jefferson and Diggs will be considered two of the top 10 off season moves in the NFL. Go Bean and McDermott.

Agree. They are the two best deals the Bills did. 

33 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I just looked up the numbers and they are more impressive than I realized. As for the 10 I also realized I can only name 7 DT I think are better right now I was counting several ends as DT in my mind.

Fair enough

I think that we all agree he’s an ascending player with a sky high ceiling. Let’s just hope that he stays healthy and continues to work hard. 

3 hours ago, warrior9 said:

That’s where he was drafted

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

They just went by draft position and did grades, there’s no way you can rank him above Oliver. 

good ol jets lmfao how many first round dts can you possibly draft

Sorry, I thought they re-ranked the picks. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28946190/how-2019-nfl-first-round-draft-picks-fared-store-2020

I think the grade on Oliver is too high. I think he is on his way to being great but I am certainly not happy if he has already hit his plateau. I also think the rating on Murray is too high also, the rest seemed fair from the limited amounts I saw of them. 

With no sports they have lots of time to do other things.

I think I only counted 6 players in this evaluation that were considered “stars”. If you’re in the top 20% of rookies in the first round of an NFL draft, that says something (depending on what you think of the evaluators). 

Oliver certainly had a good year. I think a lot of people hyped him to break Donald’s rookie sack record to falling short of that was, to them, a disappointment.  I never compared him in that metric as I was just hoping he would make it clear he belonged in the 1st round and was on his way to being, at least, a solid DT for the Bills for the foreseeable future.

He certainly did that...and more.

3 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

I think I only counted 6 players in this evaluation that were considered “stars”. If you’re in the top 20% of rookies in the first round of an NFL draft, that says something (depending on what you think of the evaluators). 

Oliver certainly had a good year. I think a lot of people hyped him to break Donald’s rookie sack record to falling short of that was, to them, a disappointment.  I never compared him in that metric as I was just hoping he would make it clear he belonged in the 1st round and was on his way to being, at least, a solid DT for the Bills for the foreseeable future.

He certainly did that...and more.

He was the most disruptive DT prospect since Donald. Which led a lot of people to believe he was going to be Aaron Donald. I always said somewhere between Donald and Kawaan Short (top 5 DT for most of his career and obviously in the McD defense) was where I saw him. When you look at the best 3 techs in the league and compare what they did as rookies to Ed then really it is only Donald who outperformed him. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I still do not expect him to be top 10 this year based on last year. Maybe they mean simply a star compared to the rest of the group because a lot of them are not impressive. If I am wrong about him being a pro bowler next year I will own it gladly.

oh, prepare to own it ;)

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oliver was 7th in pass rush win rate for DTs. He did that as a rookie who got off to a slow start. He was a REALLY good player late in the year. He’s absolutely going to be a star starting this year.

I thought he was the best DL in the playoff game, but that's just my opinion man...

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

oh, prepare to own it ;)

I know my hardest positions to evaluate is DL-I was wrong about Hughes, Dareus, and maybe Oliver-I might have watched too much Bruce and Ted Washington to be reasonable. But if he is all pro next year I will admit my mistake and be happy as anyone else.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m old, crotchety and set in my ways..?‍♂️

That makes two of us... and we don't have nearly the years left to see the Bills win it all. They better go deep in the playoffs when the season is finally played. They didn't even cancel NFL games during the war!

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Remember the rumour that Beane was going to trade up to take him?

No, but there are all kinds of rumors for all kinds of reasons. 

What I do know is we stayed put and took Oliver in our slot. WIN!

I was a HUGE Oliver fan going into the year, but some of the hype and film made me jealous of Williams. I’m glad they are making the decisions, and not me. I feel like we won that hands down. 

18 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I know my hardest positions to evaluate is DL-I was wrong about Hughes, Dareus, and maybe Oliver-I might have watched too much Bruce and Ted Washington to be reasonable. But if he is all pro next year I will admit my mistake and be happy as anyone else.

So you'll admit you're wrong if he is the best DT in the league in his second year in the NFL? Pretty high standards.