Share Your Bold Buffalo Bills 2020 Draft Prediction

10 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Well, I see the chance to get a game-changing running back in the second round and Beane has not picked up any JAG veteran running backs. That last thing should tell us something.  It seems that defensive ends are either found high in the draft- 1st round, or are hidden somewhere and everywhere else.  The chart below suggests we would be as successful looking in the 4th round and UFA as in the second round. This year they are predicting  run on DE's, with 11 or so supposed to go before our #54 pick.  The list below shows that there is no year with more than two top DE's selected.

1., Calais Campbell Jacksonville ………2nd round 2018      #  50

2. Myles Garrett, Cleveland……………1st round 2017         #  01

3. Cameron Jordan, New Orleans         1st round 2011        #  24

4. Joey Bosa, Los Angeles Chargers     1st round 2017       #  03

5., Danielle Hunter Minnesota                3rd round 2015       #  88

6. Demarcus Lawrence, Dallas               2nd round 2014      #  34

7. Frank Clark, Kansas City                    2nd round 2015      #  63

8. Trey Flowers, Detroit                          4th round 2015       # 101

9. Melvin Ingram, Chargers                    1st round 2012       #   18

10. Dee Ford, San Francisco                  1st round 2014       #  23

11. Michael Bennett, New England                              UFA 2009

12. Olivier Vernon, Cleveland                            3rd round 2012         # 72

13., Mario Addison Carolina(BUFFALO)                     UFA 2011

14. Yannick Ngakoue, Jacksonville                    3rd round 2016         # 69

15. Jerry Hughes, Buffalo                                    1st round 2010          #31

So. We don’t have a 1st round draft pick.  We are unlikely to get a #16 pick in the first round (avg of 1st round DE) anytime soon. There are 6 first rounders, only 3 second rounders, 3 third rounders a forth rounder and two UFA.  There are NINE from the first and second rounds and NINE from the third round and below.   We don’t need to waste that second round pick on a DE prospect.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-defensive-linemen-rankings

Again - this isn’t my choice but I’m trying to speculate on what might happen.  The exact round isn’t that important but as you pointed out, with a few exceptions the best DE’s are drafted in the first 3 rounds, which I why I think they will go DE in Round 2....or trade back into the bottom of Round 1.  I also see CB as a need.

I really don’t see Beane drafting an RB in the 2nd.  Maybe in the 3rd.  I think they’ll try to draft an undervalued WR in the later rounds.  Just my prediction 

They are actually gonna draft the best player available at their pick that they have on the board when their pick comes up but a lot will depend on who has been taken & who is left that they have on their board, but from there i really don't have a clue .

Claypool !!!! ?

On 3/30/2020 at 12:28 AM, Phil The Thrill said:

That’s not what I’m getting at.  My point is you have to consider the salary cap years down the line.  If the Bills are going to tie up $30M+ on Josh Allen, $17M+ on Tre White, $12M on Dion Dawkins it’s going to drastically change their cap space.  So you need to find cost controlled players on rookie deals.  

If the Bills draft a DE in Round 2, he’ll have a year to play behind Addison and Hughes and then can start in the 2021 season allowing them the flexibility to clean up their cap by moving on from either veteran DE.  

To your argument about a DE other places - with a few exceptions, most of the quality edge rushers in the NFL were drafted between Rounds 1-3.   Also in three drafts McDermott has never spent a high pick on a DE.

I just think all signs point to a DE in Round 2.

I agree with the need/desire to find a DE, but who is it that will be available at DE at pick 54 that you think is worth taking there?  This comment is not aimed at anyone in particular, but there are A LOT of posts saying that they would rather have a DE in round 2 over the likely handful of top RBs that could be there like Edwards-Helaire, possibly Taylor or Dobbins or Akers, but few of these posts say what DEs they think are worth the 54th pick.

I think most here would agree that if the prospects are comparable in grades on the Bills’ board then they should lean toward the more premium position of DE.  However, I don’t expect equivalent talent at DE to be available compared to other positions.  Maybe Greenard or Cutis Weaver or Julian Okwara will be available and maybe then Bills grade them highly, but this looks like a bad year to be trying to find a DE unless you can get Chase Young.

Edited by OldTimer1960

33 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Why are people clamoring for a feature back? We have a starting RB in Singletary, we need a complimentary back who can do things he can't like AJ Dillon, you can get him in the 4th.

The folks discussing a RB are looking not for a “feature” back to get 20 carries a game, but a very good RB to split touches about evenly with Singletary.  I’m not a big fan of Dillon.  He isn’t horrible, but there is a reason that you will likely see him last until round 4 and that is that he is pretty much one dimensional and he will have more trouble running over NFL defenders than he did against weaker college defenders.