Share Your Bold Buffalo Bills 2020 Draft Prediction

One or two of these prospects:   Rb taylor, swift, Akers, moss,    Lb quarterman,  wr mims , golden, clay pool,  DE anai, greenard, k levin chaisson,  safety Antione Winfield jr, Kvon Wallace 

bills will trade players, and future draft picks, including a number one next year, to go 'all in' this year.

we are a 'no huddle offense' away from being 'championship caliber'

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Logic said:

I’d actually be pretty irritated if it was a defense heavy draft, too.

They have already poured so much money and so many draft picks into the defense. It’s ALREADY a top 5 unit and should get better as guys like Oliver and Edmunds progress.

Meanwhile, the offense is a bottom 7 unit. This is Allen’s make or break year. Beane said the team needs more “touchdown makers”, and thus far he has only added one. The offense needs All more upgrades, namely at RB, WR, and OT. 

So with regard to this coming draft? I’m 100% with you. We need offense, and it would be irritating to watch them use three of their first four picks or something on defense.

Beane says they need more "touchdown makers".   Are we going to get a starting WR at #54?  Nope. Can't get TD's sitting on the bench.  DE?  I couldn't find any DE who scored a TD last year.  Of the top 50 tacklers, 3 LB and 1 S scored TD.s     No DE's.   ......Let's put our thinking caps on.   We have our starting WR on the team already and they touch the ball a lot....Hmmmmmm.  Tight ends get passed to sometimes but we have a decent bunch of them, there is no superman in the draft, and they seldom score except as an almost gadget play in the red zone...... Hmmm  Allen is already on the team as the QB..........WAIT  I got it !!   We are going to draft a CENTER because he handles the ball the most !!  A quick 4.55 guy and the QB handback to the center will be our bread and butter play. !!......  or maybe a top notch RB?

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2019&week=100&category=DEFENSE&sortOrder=0&page=1

18 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Beane says they need more "touchdown makers".   Are we going to get a starting WR at #54?  Nope. Can't get TD's sitting on the bench.  DE?  I couldn't find any DE who scored a TD last year.  Of the top 50 tacklers, 3 LB and 1 S scored TD.s     No DE's.   ......Let's put our thinking caps on.   We have our starting WR on the team already and they touch the ball a lot....Hmmmmmm.  Tight ends get passed to sometimes but we have a decent bunch of them, there is no superman in the draft, and they seldom score except as an almost gadget play in the red zone...... Hmmm  Allen is already on the team as the QB..........WAIT  I got it !!   We are going to draft a CENTER because he handles the ball the most !!  A quick 4.55 guy and the QB handback to the center will be our bread and butter play. !!......  or maybe a top notch RB?

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2019&week=100&category=DEFENSE&sortOrder=0&page=1

A player doesn’t need to be a starter to be a touchdown maker. A big WR like a Chase Claypool or Tee Higgins can be a red zone threat. Doesn’t mean they have to start.

Likewise, a Jonathan Taylor or AJ Dillon could be mighty useful in goal line situations — right now our QB is essentially our short yardage back, which is not ideal — without being starters.

Maybe you were just being funny with your post, but if serious, the thesis that “if a guy doesn’t start, he can’t score touchdowns” is flawed at best, downright false at worst.

Edited by Logic

1 hour ago, Logic said:

A player doesn’t need to be a starter to be a touchdown maker. A big WR like a Chase Claypool or Tee Higgins can be a red zone threat. Doesn’t mean they have to start.

Likewise, a Jonathan Taylor or AJ Dillon could be mighty useful in goal line situations — right now our QB is essentially our short yardage back, which is not ideal — without being starters.

Maybe you were just being funny with your post, but if serious, the thesis that “if a guy doesn’t start, he can’t score touchdowns” is flawed at best, downright false at worst.

I am looking at one of the top 3 or, at worst, one of the top 5-6 to be a 1a/1b running back. One of the top 3 would likely be the 1a by the middle of the season.  It might be hard to decide who the starter was based upon the number of plays.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I think RB is certainly a possibility but I don’t think they’ll draft one before the 4th round.  I think that the pick in the 2nd round will be DE or CB.  They might not go offense until rounds 4 and 5.  

25 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I think RB is certainly a possibility but I don’t think they’ll draft one before the 4th round.  I think that the pick in the 2nd round will be DE or CB.  They might not go offense until rounds t  and 5.  

With only one quality running back why in the hell would they wait until the 4th round?  The R1b will get at least 10-15 touches a game.  We might be able to get one of the top 3 RB's who (within 2-3 years) could be a top 8 RB in the league.  You rather a development prospect at DE, who 53 other teams decided not to draft.  JHC !!

11 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

With only one quality running back why in the hell would they wait until the 4th round?  The R1b will get at least 10-15 touches a game.  We might be able to get one of the top 3 RB's who (within 2-3 years) could be a top 8 RB in the league.  You rather a development prospect at DE, who 53 other teams decided not to draft.  JHC !!

I’m not saying I personally would do it, it’s just what  I’m guessing.  Only because they have no future option at DE after this season.  Hughes and Addison are short term at this point.  

You can make the argument at CB2.  If they resign Tre they will want a cost-controller started on the other side for the next 5 years.  I see CB as a real option too.

17 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If he lasts that far so be it

I was going to predict that Shenault falls to the third! I think his injury history with lack of medicals and visits will put teams off. I mean Metcalf almost dropped to the third last year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

t what  I’m guessing.  Only because they have no future option at DE after this season.  Hughes and Addison are short term at this point. 

Gee,   do you think there will be another Crowley type player as a FA or trade next year? Do you think that maybe 3 or 4 really great potential young defensive ends might wind up on somebody's practice squad-  somebody they are trying to hide?  Maybe a guy who has already been through the original screening and culling that rookies get, and has a year or two of time on pro training.  Have you looked at who might be available in the 2021 draft ?    This is not the last chance we have to pump young DE's into the pipeline.  Is it possible that one of the Bills depth chart people might develop.  Has God put out a notice that as of 3-29-2020 not a single additional NFL DE is going to be allowed to breathe?        https://nfltraderumors.co/2021-nfl-free-agent-list/ 

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

5 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Gee,   do you think there will be another Crowley type player as a FA or trade next year? Do you think that maybe 3 or 4 really great potential young defensive ends might wind up on somebody's practice squad-  somebody they are trying to hide?  Maybe a guy who has already been through the original screening and culling that rookies get, and has a year or two of time on pro training.  Have you looked at who might be available in the 2021 draft ?    This is not the last chance we have to pump young DE's into the pipeline.  Is it possible that one of the Bills depth chart people might develop.  Has God put out a notice that as of 3-29-2020 not a single additional NFL DE is going to be allowed to breathe?        https://nfltraderumors.co/2021-nfl-free-agent-list/ 

That’s not what I’m getting at.  My point is you have to consider the salary cap years down the line.  If the Bills are going to tie up $30M+ on Josh Allen, $17M+ on Tre White, $12M on Dion Dawkins it’s going to drastically change their cap space.  So you need to find cost controlled players on rookie deals.  

If the Bills draft a DE in Round 2, he’ll have a year to play behind Addison and Hughes and then can start in the 2021 season allowing them the flexibility to clean up their cap by moving on from either veteran DE.  

To your argument about a DE other places - with a few exceptions, most of the quality edge rushers in the NFL were drafted between Rounds 1-3.   Also in three drafts McDermott has never spent a high pick on a DE.

I just think all signs point to a DE in Round 2.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

That’s not what I’m getting at.  My point is you have to consider the salary cap years down the line.  If the Bills are going to tie up $30M+ on Josh Allen, $17M+ on Tre White, $12M on Dion Dawkins it’s going to drastically change their cap space.  So you need to find cost controlled players on rookie deals.  

If the Bills draft a DE in Round 2, he’ll have a year to play behind Addison and Hughes and then can start in the 2021 season allowing them the flexibility to clean up their cap by moving on from either veteran DE.  

To your argument about a DE other places - with a few exceptions, most of the quality edge rushers in the NFL were drafted between Rounds 1-3.   Also in three drafts McDermott has never spent a high pick on a DE.

I just think all signs point to a DE in Round 2.

Well, I see the chance to get a game-changing running back in the second round and Beane has not picked up any JAG veteran running backs. That last thing should tell us something.  It seems that defensive ends are either found high in the draft- 1st round, or are hidden somewhere and everywhere else.  The chart below suggests we would be as successful looking in the 4th round and UFA as in the second round. This year they are predicting  run on DE's, with 11 or so supposed to go before our #54 pick.  The list below shows that there is no year with more than two top DE's selected.

1., Calais Campbell Jacksonville ………2nd round 2018      #  50

2. Myles Garrett, Cleveland……………1st round 2017         #  01

3. Cameron Jordan, New Orleans         1st round 2011        #  24

4. Joey Bosa, Los Angeles Chargers     1st round 2017       #  03

5., Danielle Hunter Minnesota                3rd round 2015       #  88

6. Demarcus Lawrence, Dallas               2nd round 2014      #  34

7. Frank Clark, Kansas City                    2nd round 2015      #  63

8. Trey Flowers, Detroit                          4th round 2015       # 101

9. Melvin Ingram, Chargers                    1st round 2012       #   18

10. Dee Ford, San Francisco                  1st round 2014       #  23

11. Michael Bennett, New England                              UFA 2009

12. Olivier Vernon, Cleveland                            3rd round 2012         # 72

13., Mario Addison Carolina(BUFFALO)                     UFA 2011

14. Yannick Ngakoue, Jacksonville                    3rd round 2016         # 69

15. Jerry Hughes, Buffalo                                    1st round 2010          #31

So. We don’t have a 1st round draft pick.  We are unlikely to get a #16 pick in the first round (avg of 1st round DE) anytime soon. There are 6 first rounders, only 3 second rounders, 3 third rounders a forth rounder and two UFA.  There are NINE from the first and second rounds and NINE from the third round and below.   We don’t need to waste that second round pick on a DE prospect.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-defensive-linemen-rankings

16 hours ago, PIZ said:

The WR that the Bills draft will be Bryan Edwards out of SC. He will give them the size they need at receiver.  6’3” - 215 lbs. Looks bigger than that. 

would love this.  And he's likely a 3rd or 4th rounder.  

• Like (+1) 2