New Challenge for McDermott

gjv001

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I disagree

of course

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Everyone knew our o-line and WR unit needed a complete overhaul. Beane obviously had Ford graded the highest and it clearly fit a position of great need. 

I don’t fault BB for the pick. It made sense at the time. Ford was projected to go in the 1st round by almost everyone so getting him in the 2nd seemed like a good pick. 

Yet he wasn't picked by anyone in the first round..

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Was that a 16 point play for the Texans?

No but it killed that drive.

4 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

End of first half was abominable, end of the game wasn't much better. 

Daboll (who reports to McDermott) had head scratchers throughout the game.

Players were not ready for prime time, but, neither were the coaches. 

Give me a break. This is a young team on the rise growing and gaining experience. All the experts had them as a 6.5 win team.

As for not ready for prime time I seem to remember them doing just fine against the Cowboys and Steelers in primetime. Let's try and have some perspective and recognize improvement and growth.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I guess you didn’t read my post at all. We don’t all agree it was an awful call. It wasn’t. It was the right call and a stupid play by Ford.

No I did read your post but the only logical conclusion was that you made a typo. That was a horrible call.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

What two other instances?

Either way it was a penalty.... and I was amazed to see Cody Ford on his Twitter still not understanding how.... read the rules. It’s that simple.

I seriously wonder if you would be whining like this if a patriot player committed the same “penalty”

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You would have to read the post I was responding to and the ones above that to understand my response.

There really is no need

all your posts read about the same

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I seriously wonder if you would be whining like this if a patriot player committed the same “penalty”

There really is no need

all your posts read about the same

Sometimes the posting box is like a mirror. Sometimes irony is used without any awareness....

2 hours ago, Augie said:

If that is against the rules, the problem is the rule. The defender was still playing, chasing the guy with the ball. Still eligible to make the tackle or collect a fumble.  There was no blind side hit, if fact it was barely a push. You will never convince me that should be illegal. 

couldn't agree more.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

couldn't agree more.

If memory serves me correctly, THAT was the point where my language became particularly salty....with my neighbors present. They still wave and say hello, so I guess they took my tirade in stride. But I could feel that little glance my way as I was raging......

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Again it's not hindsight when everyone knew our weakness at WR and these weren't obscure WRs in the 2nd round.

I love how (as in another thread) everyone dumps on "so called experts" mock the draft, and then when a GM whiffs on a pick, the defense of the GM/pick is "well, the guy was highly touted"....by the "so called experts" who's mocks we all mock.

And no, that's not why they lost the one game, but it is why they don't have a 1st round pick in this draft.....

Even if Ford turns into the greatest OG ever, he can't have the same impact as a stud WR.  Just can't.

Right, all picks are subjective. In most cases the same people touting the WRs praises were also touting Ford. Ford was not an obscure OL. 

Additionally, I did not say whose mocks are legit or not. Take that to someone else.

Beane addressed the WR position last year. Lets not pretend he didn't. 

The first pick this year? Used on a bonafide stud WR who's capable of stepping onto the field day one improving the offense tremendously. 

Sure, the jury is out on Ford. Let's see his progress this year. I wouldn't change events. We're on the right path. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

If that is against the rules, the problem is the rule. The defender was still playing, chasing the guy with the ball. Still eligible to make the tackle or collect a fumble.  There was no blind side hit, if fact it was barely a push. You will never convince me that should be illegal. 

You're correct.  The problem is with the rule.  

The rule wasn't written with kind of play in mind.  It was designed to protect players in a different situation.  

It's a problem with rule making. Rules are general and situations are specific. That's just the way it goes.  In an ideal situation the official recognizes the play as outside what was intended by the rule. 

Still, it's the player's responsibility to know the rule an stay within it. 

My problem with the play was that he may have been within it.  He really didn't hit the guy, and the rule requires that something like a blow be delivered.  It was more like Ford said to the guy "I'm here and I'm going to make contact just to be sure you don't get back into the play. "   Unfortunate. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

No but it killed that drive.

Give me a break. This is a young team on the rise growing and gaining experience. All the experts had them as a 6.5 win team.

As for not ready for prime time I seem to remember them doing just fine against the Cowboys and Steelers in primetime. Let's try and have some perspective and recognize improvement and growth.

No I did read your post but the only logical conclusion was that you made a typo. That was a horrible call.

You're drooling again.

it is very gratifying to see the Decade of Fail in the rear view mirror. Clappy has got us into the postseason in two of three seasons with teams that were shall we say at less than peak performance. The thing I am most excited about is the unity of purpose and aligned modes of thinking of our organization. Beane and Clappy are thinking as one entity and we actually have a talent recognition and evaluation system that assesses whether a prospect is a fit for our organization culture. Speaking of organizational culture, we actually have one now. Shipping out talented but troubled players like Marcel Darius and Zay Jones was the first clue that this was serious. Little things like getting rid of pool tables sent a message. I can't overstate the importance of that compared to the Decade of Fail.

The Whaley/Nix era was marked by signings for whom the most important criteria was the player's willingness to come to Buffalo. If the player answered in the affirmative we usually overpaid by 25% to keep them. The signings of Shawn Merriman, Derrick Dockery and Kawika Mitchell were but a few examples of players motivated by little more than a final kick at the can and a final cash grab.

The work of building culture is far from done.  When I see predictions of us overtaking the Pats in the AFCE I hesitate because whatever the talent advantage we may have, we still do not have the institutional memory of New England in knowing what to do to win meaningful games. We have some painful mountains to climb to get to that point psychologically. Only a homer would say that our offense did anything but ride the coat tails of our defense in 2019. We have not arrived at a place where we are winning games decisively as opposed to playing not to lose. 

Still, the corner has been turned. I have full confidence in McDermott and Beane in getting us the rest of the way but only a fool expects a path without some pain in getting there. 

10 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You’re right, he wasn’t. That’s probably why Beane was really excited to get him in the 2nd..

He was the top rated ol on their board while trying to build. Ok that was horrendous the year before

IF Jon f was not a good player we would be thanking the stars we drafted Cody ford

beane was just so good at his job the he fortified the position with multiple good players did we also need wr....yes

Sean McDermott is wired to keep doing everything the same way, until or unless it stops working.  He is an extremely self disciplined person, so I don't think the sudden high expectations will change much of anything inside the organization.

8 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

The case you make for WR is valid. Still hindsight. 

I don’t fault the Ford selection. Never a bad idea to fortify the trenches. Ford was highly touted.

Was it the right call? I surely don’t know. But I won’t say it was the difference in us winning or losing vs Houston. 

Ok - I understand until proven otherwise, but let’s not pretend that Brady leaving is inconsequential.

11-5 with Matt Cassel.  Brady did not scare me last year

11 hours ago, dickleyjones said:

Only to lose, in overtime. You are correct but it was damn close.

Why was it close when you're up 16 points with 21 minutes remaining?  Because McD, despite his tough talk, doesn't put the collective foot on his opponent's throat.  He's a conventional coach who, when the chips are down, plays it safe.  That's gotta change if, as someone below knows they are, "Super Bowl caliber."

11 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Part of the reason they lost is because the offense stopped scoring.  

Yep.  And offense is this coaches Achilles heal, although their skill talent has improved for 2020.  Gonna be real interesting seeing how they use Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Knox, and Singletary.  

11 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

You know what? I'll accept this, despite its lack of big picture perspective. 

What I like best about McDermott, and Beane for that matter, is their self-critical thinking and their drive for continuous improvement. I totally buy into the organization now and believe McDermott will (probably already has) look in the mirror, dig deep and grow. He challenges himself that way and encourages his players to grow that way. That is his way and now the Bills way.

He has a lot to improve on and he will. Super Bowl caliber.

Big picture perspective?  Every coach and GM in the league are driving for continuous improvement because, barring success, they'll all be out of a job eventually.  You think McD is the only one riding that wagon?  

I saw a HC last year who was 1-4 against playoff level teams.  Hence, my point about him needing to up his game.  He does that by changing his spots and learning to be bold offensively.  Do you believe a guy that's been defensive minded his whole career acquiesces suddenly to being an up-tempo offense?  I think the jury's out on that.  

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

No doubt Sean has alot of developing to do like Josh. He will have to do better in time management.  He'll have to start eliminating his conservative nature. And finally he'll have to turn more attention to building a world class offense. Do these 3 things and it won't matter who they play.

McD has 20 years of NFL experience.  If he's not good on game day by now, it's probably not going to get better.  

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Why was it close when you're up 16 points with 21 minutes remaining?  Because McD, despite his tough talk, doesn't put the collective foot on his opponent's throat.  He's a conventional coach who, when the chips are down, plays it safe.  That's gotta change if, as someone below knows they are, "Super Bowl caliber."

Yep.  And offense is this coaches Achilles heal, although their skill talent has improved for 2020.  Gonna be real interesting seeing how they use Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Knox, and Singletary.  

Big picture perspective?  Every coach and GM in the league are driving for continuous improvement because, barring success, they'll all be out of a job eventually.  You think McD is the only one riding that wagon?  

I saw a HC last year who was 1-4 against playoff level teams.  Hence, my point about him needing to up his game.  He does that by changing his spots and learning to be bold offensively.  Do you believe a guy that's been defensive minded his whole career acquiesces suddenly to being an up-tempo offense?  I think the jury's out on that.  

McD has 20 years of NFL experience.  If he's not good on game day by now, it's probably not going to get better.  

Honestly, do you see anything positive about this team?