New Challenge for McDermott

gjv001

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Does everyone now forget the last game he coached?  Buffalo was up 16-0 late in the third quarter only to lose 22-19.  

He's also a career 3-17 against teams either in the playoffs or make the post-season.  He's gotta start beating the better teams more frequently.  And next season's schedule is sure to be more difficult than 2019's. 

McD has a lot to improve on.  

if our RT wasn't letting Watt through like a turnstyle , we would have won.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

if our RT wasn't letting Watt through like a turnstyle , we would have won.

Or if they had their RB, you know, run the ball.... after getting way out by 16 with under 25 min of football left to play.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Or if they had their RB, you know, run the ball.... after getting way out by 16 with under 25 min of football left to play.

That would have helped too but Ford was a huge liability in that game and most of the season.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I love how the OP has already put the Bills ahead of the Patriots.

We'll see if Las Vegas does the same rolling into Week 1 of the season, if there is a week 1 of the season this year.

how is Bellicheck  doing these days?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

That would have helped too but Ford was a huge liability in that game and most of the season.

how is Bellicheck  doing these days?

AJ Brown would not have been a liability I bet....

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

got it, i was thinking of some right tackle considering our conversation.

Brown would have been great but i really wanted DK Metcalf

They went with the wrong need....

Metcalf was also available.  

Just now, inaugural balls said:

How long can you go between oil changes on your hindsight-o-meter? 

It's not hindsight when, on draft day, your team desperately needs WR talent....and abundant talent is available right there for the price of a 2nd rounder.

This isn't hard at all.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

They went with the wrong need....

Metcalf was also available.  

for sure, although we definitely needed a RT for years and hopefully this guy from Carolina fills that need. My problem with Ford (and slightly Dawkins ) was he was considered a guard maybe a tackle prospect, what they need to do is draft real Tackle prospects who can go to guard if they dont pan out.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

for sure, although we definitely needed a RT for years and hopefully this guy from Carolina fills that need. My problem with Ford (and slightly Dawkins ) was he was considered a guard maybe a tackle prospect, what they need to do is draft real Tackle prospects who can go to guard if they dont pan out.

yup.  That was a huge opportunity cost.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's not hindsight when, on draft day, your team desperately needs WR talent....and abundant talent is available right there for the price of a 2nd rounder.

This isn't hard at all.

This is why i was surprised we went after Diggs considering this supposed to be the deepest WR draft ever. They must figured he was better than who they could have gotten at 22. Still hoping we get another WR in the draft , he's not the fastest but i really like the way Quintez Cephus plays.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Why?

because its a s#!t call regardless of the rule. Do they call every holding call ? nope, so when such  wus ass play like that happens you let it go . On top of that the rule is garbage , if you're a clearly face to face that should never be considered an illegal block.

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

yup.  That was a huge opportunity cost.

they have done good for the most part but hopefully they learn from this.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This isn't hard at all.

The case you make for WR is valid. Still hindsight. 

I don’t fault the Ford selection. Never a bad idea to fortify the trenches. Ford was highly touted.

Was it the right call? I surely don’t know. But I won’t say it was the difference in us winning or losing vs Houston. 

6 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

Why would the patriots not be the favorite still?

Ok - I understand until proven otherwise, but let’s not pretend that Brady leaving is inconsequential.

2 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

You know what? I'll accept this, despite its lack of big picture perspective. 

What I like best about McDermott, and Beane for that matter, is their self-critical thinking and their drive for continuous improvement. I totally buy into the organization now and believe McDermott will (probably already has) look in the mirror, dig deep and grow. He challenges himself that way and encourages his players to grow that way. That is his way and now the Bills way.

He has a lot to improve on and he will. Super Bowl caliber.

This is really well said.  That's exactly what I think.   He's constantly asking himself and others around him what he needs to do to improve, and his game management is just one of those things.   Not only is he asking what needs to be done, but he actually does it.   He's an amazing combination of heart, drive and teacher and learner.   

I have never been too upset with his game management, other than abandoning the run a few times last season.   But whatever each of us may think of his game management, it's a craft that he understands is critical to the success of the team. 

In fact, maybe that's why he's so driven.   Just like he wants his right tackle to be motivated by the chance to contribute to the the success of all his teammates, McD understands that the success of 100 other people depends on his doing his job.   Among things his job requires is game management, so he is motivated by the fact that 100 people need him to do it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1