“You want that guy”: Stefon Diggs through the eyes of his former coaches

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Yeah, Diggs basically did nothing besides miss a couple practices and NOT deny to the media that he asked for a trade. He's like a freakin angel compared to many other diva WR's (all of whom fans have been clamoring to trade for).

Diggs simply wanted better play from Kirk Cousins, and he was right to call Cousins out.  it worked, too.

I'm glad (and surprised) we have Diggs and see this as a low risk, high upside transaction.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

☝️☝️☝️ This is such a gross exaggeration of the “issues” with Diggs.  Where do you guys come up with such an extreme description of “issues”?  I mean he went out and played to a high level all year.  He carried the offense when Theilen got hurt for a chunk of the season.  He had been no where near the level of a “problem” some posters here keep making him out to be.

What I fear is going to happen, is that every word, gesture, etc this guy does as a Bill is going to be so grossly over scrutinized so some people can point at him and say “See, told you he’s a problem and it was dumb to trade a first for him”.  

Diggs is a stud.  He’s gonna be a stud here.  This is a great trade for both him and us.  We needed badly a player with the same level of fire and competitiveness that Josh has.  These two are going to be great together.  

Nobody is saying that he isn't a great talent or that he doesn't perform when he's out there. But skipping practice and calling out your teammates/organization on social media can be defined at the very least as "issues" if you take the blinders off. I imagine you might feel different if he was traded somewhere else. You can be excited about the trade while also looking at his recent history objectively.

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Nobody is saying that he isn't a great talent or that he doesn't perform when he's out there. But skipping practice and calling out your teammates/organization on social media can be defined at the very least as "issues" if you take the blinders off. I imagine you might feel different if he was traded somewhere else. You can be excited about the trade while also looking at his recent history objectively.

I have always felt the criticisms on him were to harsh, before we traded for him.  Its just being exaggerated is all I am saying.  And I already know that this board is going over analyze every body motion, every word, every social media pic, every word he writes on social, etc. to try and prove he is a bad apple.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/28/2020 at 5:27 PM, Binghamton Beast said:

We had two Hall of Famers that weren’t. Reed and Lofton.

The extreme to which history has been rewritten regarding our Great 1990s Team is unbelievable.

Folks think they were all perfect team players and angels off the field. When in reality, it was simply the lack of social media and 24 hour news cycle that saved those players from scrutiny.

Bruce and his DUIs and coke problems. Kelly's drinking and hitting women. "The Bickering Bills" pointing fingers at each other. Kelly and Reed fighting over the same girl. Reed was often a selfish diva, and more than once threatened to leave the team. Bennett has done time for rape. Thurman was a HUGE ahole back then (worst encounter I've ever had with a pro athlete, and I was only a 12 yr old kid).

Yall really need to reset your views of those old players. They were not choir boys or selfless team players. But winning cures everything. So when we win with Diggs, get over it.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have always felt the criticisms on him were to harsh, before we traded for him.  Its just being exaggerated is all I am saying.  And I already know that this board is going over analyze every body motion, every word, every social media pic, every word he writes on social, etc. to try and prove he is a bad apple.  

I agree with that. This place tore down Stevie and he was nothing but awesome to the fans (and remains so to this day). And for what it's worth, Diggs was great with the fans in Minnesota too, apparently. Just hoping the immaturity he displayed last season doesn't repeat itself here or you'll end up being right.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/29/2020 at 2:03 PM, ColoradoBills said:

I didn't lose any sleep of the "Ed Oliver is problem child" comments and I'm not losing any sleep over Diggs.

I'll leave this in McDermott's hands.

The Oliver thing wasn’t even close to Diggs.  It was an idiot coach overreacting to him wearing a jacket when he was hurt.  

there is a ton of rationalizing here.  I mean fans did it last year when they talked about acquiring AB and get it.  Like if Diggs went to the Pats, we would make fun of the Patriot Way for taking on a “problem.”  Off the field, he seems like a really good guy.  But on the field, if you’re being honest, he was a Richard.  And this wasn’t in Cleveland.  It was for a team with SB aspirations.  He would have temper tantrums after wins because he didn’t get the ball enough.  He is a good player with a decent contract who is young.  You don’t trade that player unless it was a big problem.  With AB (and trust me, he’s not close to that idiot but for comparison), the Steelers hide a lot of stuff he did for years until they finally couldn’t take it anymore.  

they overpaid but I get the risk they took.  But to pretend like there aren’t some problems is foolish.  We’ll see when Brown and Beasley get more looks. Or when Allen airmails him when he’s open.  Or if the Bills lose.  This is a no brainer for Hopkins.  But there’s some risk.  But I’m fine with it.  

15 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Diggs simply wanted better play from Kirk Cousins, and he was right to call Cousins out.  it worked, too.

I'm glad (and surprised) we have Diggs and see this as a low risk, high upside transaction.

Cousins is a much better passing qb than Allen at this point.  

On 3/29/2020 at 10:14 AM, Hebert19 said:

I think he will bond with allen very well because they are both alpha dogs that will do anything to win.  Cousins will check down when they need 10 yards and that's what diggs will appreciate the most about allen...he will run for 10 yards.  Throw it past the sticks and will do whatever it takes to win.  I'm excited to see these 2 fire up the O this year.  

Cousins averaged 8.1 ypa, Allen averaged 6.7.

On 3/28/2020 at 12:34 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I like Kirk Cousins from what I know, but he strikes me as a bit cerebral and insular - he got the Redskins to give him his own office off the locker room, ferpetesake. 

I heard Gruden on a podcast and that was completely overblown.  He studied so much field there, they gave him his own room that anyone could use.  He is a giant dork though. 

58 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The extreme to which history has been rewritten regarding our Great 1990s Team is unbelievable.

Folks think they were all perfect team players and angels off the field. When in reality, it was simply the lack of social media and 24 hour news cycle that saved those players from scrutiny.

Bruce and his DUIs and coke problems. Kelly's drinking and hitting women. "The Bickering Bills" pointing fingers at each other. Kelly and Reed fighting over the same girl. Reed was often a selfish diva, and more than once threatened to leave the team. Bennett has done time for rape. Thurman was a HUGE ahole back then (worst encounter I've ever had with a pro athlete, and I was only a 12 yr old kid).

Yall really need to reset your views of those old players. They were not choir boys or selfless team players. But winning cures everything. So when we win with Diggs, get over it.

Who said they were choir boys? Again, my definition of Diva probably differs from yours. I do know this, football character was a big thing to Marv Levy and Bill Polian. 

3 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Who said they were choir boys? Again, my definition of Diva probably differs from yours. I do know this, football character was a big thing to Marv Levy and Bill Polian. 

Yes, they had such great football character that they couldnt even hold themselves back from over-partying before the biggest games of their lives, which was a major factor in our first 2 Super Bowl losses.

And from all reports, Diggs has excellent football character as it comes to his dedication to the game and winning.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Oliver thing wasn’t even close to Diggs.  It was an idiot coach overreacting to him wearing a jacket when he was hurt.  

there is a ton of rationalizing here.  I mean fans did it last year when they talked about acquiring AB and get it.  Like if Diggs went to the Pats, we would make fun of the Patriot Way for taking on a “problem.”  Off the field, he seems like a really good guy.  But on the field, if you’re being honest, he was a Richard.  And this wasn’t in Cleveland.  It was for a team with SB aspirations.  He would have temper tantrums after wins because he didn’t get the ball enough.  He is a good player with a decent contract who is young.  You don’t trade that player unless it was a big problem.  With AB (and trust me, he’s not close to that idiot but for comparison), the Steelers hide a lot of stuff he did for years until they finally couldn’t take it anymore.  

they overpaid but I get the risk they took.  But to pretend like there aren’t some problems is foolish.  We’ll see when Brown and Beasley get more looks. Or when Allen airmails him when he’s open.  Or if the Bills lose.  This is a no brainer for Hopkins.  But there’s some risk.  But I’m fine with it.  

That is my point exactly.  Beane and McDermott took on some risk and I will leave it in their hands.

Worse that can happen is they have to trade him (and his team friendly contract ) to someone else for a 2nd.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Maybe so, and he should be.  You're comparing a vet with a BIG contract vs a second year, still raw prospect.  Expectations for Cousins should be high and he wasn't close to meeting them.  Diggs, I believe, realized this.

No need to worry. McBeane have already planned for the worst.

The contingency plan for Diggs is the same as it was for AB. If Diggs acts up, he'll be called into a one one one meeting with our fearless coach, in an empty gymnasium containing a wrestling mat.

McD will end it in the first minute with a triangle choke.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 3/28/2020 at 3:20 PM, QB Bills said:

I didn't read the article, but I imagine it mirrors what's been said about all diva wide receivers at some point. "The guy only acts like a dick because he's super competitive". Blah blah blah..

Truth is, Diggs has been a head case on more than one occasion recently. If the Bills can control that, then I'm sure we'll all consider this a great trade. If he continues to B word and moan, giving up a first round pick for him won't be looked upon so fondly.

Having said that, he's a great talent and depending on Allen's progression, could catapult the offense into making the Bills a legit contender. 

All I saw was “didn’t read the article” and moved on. Why should we bother reading, if you didn’t? 

We should listen to your uniformed opinion but you can’t bother to read an opinion from a guy that actually knows and coached him? 

Hard pass...

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

All I saw was “didn’t read the article” and moved on. Why should we bother reading, if you didn’t? 

We should listen to your uniformed opinion but you can’t bother to read an opinion from a guy that actually knows and coached him? 

Hard pass...

Don't lie Bobby hooks. You read beyond that. It's not nice to lie. 

My "uniformed" opinion has a big T on it for truth. 

23 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Cousins averaged 8.1 ypa, Allen averaged 6.7.

I heard Gruden on a podcast and that was completely overblown.  He studied so much field there, they gave him his own room that anyone could use.  He is a giant dork though. 

Not saying he doesnt throw the ball around.  I mean he throws for a ton of yards and always has...I'm more talking about his demeanor.  I've watched him since MSU and have followed him a ton...he doesnt have the it factor of grit that a guy like diggs would go to war with and for.. josh does. 

Just now, Hebert19 said:

Not saying he doesnt throw the ball around.  I mean he throws for a ton of yards and always has...I'm more talking about his demeanor.  I've watched him since MSU and have followed him a ton...he doesnt have the it factor of grit that a guy like diggs would go to war with and for.. josh does. 

I think this overrated.  Like I’m sure Diggs would rather hang out with Allen because Cousins seems the world’s biggest dork.  

but Diggs seems like he cares about his numbers first (because they led to more money) and than everything second.  Again, dude was throwing temper tantrum when they were winning.  I hope this doesn’t happen if he’s not getting his numbers here.  A really good receiver can make a huge contribution by drawing coverage and opening things up for other.  At this point of his career, Diggs has embraced that mindset.  Let’s hope he does. 

2 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

We had 55 million in dead cap and by the time we trimmed we had 1/3 less to spend on a team than most teams.    After those cuts and trades we had a terrible terrible team. Christ Holmes was getting time at WR...without those changes we would have been deeper in cap hell and would have had a tank like the browns in our future.