#Quarantine Saturday 1981 Bills hi-lights

‘80-‘81 were Back to Back playoff seasons. These 2 great videos feature the best football voices ever in John Facenda & Van Miller!

*Note: Tap Part 2 link near the end for a smooth transition. link to part 2 added below, just in case.

Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I remember that Last second hail Mary against the Pats for the simple reason I gave up on the game, wen for a walk and saw all these cars driving home from the stadium and people going nuts. In short, I missed a great moment because I lost faith.....silly me!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Weird how they start the first one with the loss to the Bengals in the playoffs..and yet do not mention the 4th down conversion that was not! 

For those that dont remember or are too young, Bills were driving for the tying touchdown and faced a 4th and 3 from say the Bengals 35. Bills call timeout, come out of timeout and Fergy hits Lou Piccone with a 8 yard pass for the first. We were going bonkers in my house with joy..Fergy gunna do it!Announcer comes on end of play, holdon, we have a flag. Delay of game, Bills took to much time...after a freaking timeout!

Back in those days no play clock on screen, no flag graphic...man that was crushing. Pass incomplete in the endzone next play, game over!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Maybe we go all the way in '80 if Fergy stays healthy. He played that Chargers' playoff game on a bad ankle. We needed home field to do it in '81 but we had some bad losses during the season. The Monday night game against Dallas was brutal. we had control of it until halftime and then the wheels came off. That loss spilled over the following week to the Cardinals' game. Those two losses were the difference between 10-6 and 12-4.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

‘80-‘81 were Back to Back playoff seasons. These 2 great videos feature the best football voices ever in John Facenda & Van Miller!

*Note: Tap Part 2 link near the end for a smooth transition. link to part 2 added below, just in case.

Enjoy!

I wasn’t even born yet.  Was this at the same time as your retirement party?

2 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

I remember that Last second hail Mary against the Pats for the simple reason I gave up on the game, wen for a walk and saw all these cars driving home from the stadium and people going nuts. In short, I missed a great moment because I lost faith.....silly me!

That was on my Dad’s birthday and we did the same. We heard the roar of the crowd from outside and the game was won by the time we got to the car.

Ah, thanks for that, Chandler! As a young Bills fan who suffered through the grim 1970s, those two seasons were electrifying!

That team was set up by Stew Barber & Chuck Knox's spectacular 1979 draft, maybe the team's best ever. #1 pick Tom (%$#@) Cousineau  jumped ship (although ultimately yielded the draft pick that netted Jim Kelly) -- but the next THREE guys chosen -- Jerry Butler, Fred Smerlas and Jim Haslett -- were pro bowlers. The Bills also nabbed free safety Jeff Nixon in the 4th round, who was an interception machine until he blew out his knee. The next year they picked up two more pro-bowlers, Jim Ritcher and Joe Cribbs. Ritcher was a stud for years, and Cribbs was the arguably the league's best offensive dual-threat for a few years. 

Good times, man!   ? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wasn’t even born yet.  Was this at the same time as your retirement party?

You ‘n me, Whippersnapper!

B91326CE-B235-4EDA-8A78-72E986AF7872.jpeg

4 hours ago, purple haze said:

Several full games from that era are on youtube or at least they used to be.  Look them up.  Those teams were very good.

The last second Hail Mary to Hooks vs Pats* is an all time Classic! -not to mention the Playoff chances. They were struggling at this late point. I thought it was over. But I never stopped listening to Van on the radio. What a thrill!

• Haha (+1) 1

I was at the 1981 Pats game, stayed till the glorious end.  We were in the upper deck, Pats side and when Hooks scored, I looked down the tunnel and guys came flying out of the bathroom, many with their pants still down around their ankles, to see what the roar was all about.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I will admit, I don’t know much about the Bills before JIm Kelly joined the team.

I could never figure out Chuck Knox,  he had 2 bad seasons, 2 good ones, and then a disappointing year.  Didn’t get along with Ralph and walked away.  What a shocker.  

Many older fans lamented that the Bills let him go, probably because Knox had a few good years with Seattle and the Bills were saddled with Kay Stephenson who appears to be the “hot” coordinator turned crappy head coach.

How big was Ralph’s decision not to retain Chuck? And was it all over money?

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I will admit, I don’t know much about the Bills before JIm Kelly joined the team.

I could never figure out Chuck Knox,  he had 2 bad seasons, 2 good ones, and then a disappointing year.  Didn’t get along with Ralph and walked away.  What a shocker.  

Many older fans lamented that the Bills let him go, probably because Knox had a few good years with Seattle and the Bills were saddled with Kay Stephenson who appears to be the “hot” coordinator turned crappy head coach.

How big was Ralph’s decision not to retain Chuck? And was it all over money?

go back to sleep..?

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

what? I’m asking about Chuck Knox.  Hopefully someone can give me the 411

Yes, of course you are.

I will say, this is a far more appropriate place to share your feelings for Ralph rather than the thread commemorating is passing. Having said that, why does every thread have to turn into this?  Geez, get over it already! No need to reach.... just because something is Bills related, Ralph is fair game?  Show some variety!   :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yes, of course you are.

I will say, this is a far more appropriate place to share your feelings for Ralph rather than the thread commemorating is passing. Having said that, why does every thread have to turn into this?  Geez, get over it already! No need to reach.... just because something is Bills related, Ralph is fair game?  Show some variety!   :)

Im asking because Chuck Knox was coach of this 1981 football team.  I’m wondering why he left Buffalo and how much of an impact his departure had on the team.  It seemed that Kay the Head Coach was a colossal clusterfreak

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Im asking because Chuck Knox was coach of this 1981 football team.  I’m wondering why he left Buffalo and how much of an impact his departure had on the team.  It seemed that Kay the Head Coach was a colossal clusterfreak

Then WhyTF are you asking? ? Google it.

Please stop.