Rewatching playoff game

Jerboski

This thread is masochism.  ?. The funny thing is I’m just as masochistic for scanning it.  I know it was frustrating and we should have coached and executed better, but it’s over and I’m focused on looking forward, and “the future looks so bright, we all have to wear shades”.   Funny, the yougins on this board have no idea of the reference.  Dating my middle agedness.

It was laughable how much they were dominating the game. I felt like I was dreaming. It just goes to show McD that you NEVER take your foot off the gas. And dear God, why abandon Devin friggin Singletary? Kid was the best player on the field. 

1 minute ago, Rubes said:

I'm just going to leave this here for y'all again. Enjoy.

Screen Shot.jpg

If ONE of those 3 guys blocks that ONE guy....he prob gets 20 yards or more. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

It was laughable how much they were dominating the game. I felt like I was dreaming. It just goes to show McD that you NEVER take your foot off the gas. And dear God, why abandon Devin friggin Singletary? Kid was the best player on the field. 

If ONE of those 3 guys blocks that ONE guy....he prob gets 20 yards or more. 

With actual blocking, the worst that happens on this play is that we get into FG range.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The players blew the play. They panicked, got too deep and couldn't recover.

Question:  McD and Frazier should have seen this when the defense was lining up.  If they did indeed run this prevent style defense throughout the season, McD and Frazier should have seen something was off and called a TO; yet they didn't.  Why?

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Question:  McD and Frazier should have seen this when the defense was lining up.  If they did indeed run this prevent style defense throughout the season, McD and Frazier should have seen something was off and called a TO; yet they didn't.  Why?

They didn't line up to deep. They panicked at the snap and dropped too deep and didn't have time to recover. There was nothing wrong with the call. The players blew it. You could see Hyde's frustration right after the play. He knew they had blown it. 

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Coaching was fine.

I disagree to the point that McD becomes very conservative whenever he gets a lead.  Yes, Houston was a good team and Watson is a play maker, but to win and advance you have to beat good teams and hold playmakers in check.  Bring the game to them, not allow them to dictate the game to us.  McD couldn't do that.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

They didn't line up to deep. They panicked at the snap and dropped too deep and didn't have time to recover. There was nothing wrong with the call. The players blew it. You could see Hyde's frustration right after the play. He knew they had blown it. 

I just remember seeing a lot of green between the D-line and the secondary.  Maybe it happened like you say, but again, I recall seeing a lot of green and no players.

11 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Defensively.  He and Frazier go into a soft zone/prevent D, which prevents you from winning.  This prevent D theory has been proven a bad choice for many years so not sure why McD thinks it will work for him.

Cuz all these guys remember is the one time a team got burned in man/pressure look.  Tebow to Demaryus Thomas for 80 in playoffs vs Steelers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMVnLsODqqg

12 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This is what I don't like about McDermott, his tendency to go conservative even with a small lead.  That is not how you win big games.  He has to change his approach and not take his foot off the gas pedal.

You have finally said something I agree with!  

Kidding, of course.

McD's approach will continue to allow teams to be "in a game." Until he changes his approach we'll have losses that we should not experience.

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You have finally said something I agree with!  

Kidding, of course.

McD's approach will continue to allow teams to be "in a game." Until he changes his approach we'll have losses that we should not experience.

Thanks, man.

Your last sentence nailed it.  I think McD has the potential to be a great coach, but until he adjusts some of his philosophies, he will be limited.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Duke’s performance in that playoff game is exactly why he’s fighting he’s fighting for a 6th WR spot.  It was a huge opportunity that he probably was not ready for.   I think they realized they needed a MUCH better option at WR.

Grilled wings sound good right now

Duke isn’t even remotely close to the main reason we lost that game.  That TD throw and attempted catch was a high degree of difficulty.  I can live with that play a heck of a lot more than the others.

The Gore runs up the middle prior to that throw are unforgivable on their own.  Our multiple guys not being able to block one guy on that Josh run that would have likely sealed the game is unforgivable.  The failed sack on Watson by Milano was unforgivable that allowed Watson to seal the game.  Daboll’s idiotic game calls at key moments was unforgivable, almost all of which involved Gore.  I could name several other self inflicted bone head moments too.

Then there are the refs.  The missing of the play clock being expired for 2 seconds on 3rd and very long in OT was unforgivable.  The fake penalty on Ford was unforgivable.  The refs literally screwed us massively with critical mistakes no less than 3 times (there were more, but saying critical game changing plays).  

Im glad we are upgrading WRs.  And you are absolutely right, Duke is going to be fighting for the 4th and 5th WR spot probably with a rookie along with Foster and McKenzie.  But he was way way down the list of reasons we lost that game IMO.

For me it’s way way way more on Daboll, Refs, and some totally whiffed plays by our players.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Duke isn’t even remotely close to the main reason we lost that game.  That TD throw and attempted catch was a high degree of difficulty.  I can live with that play a heck of a lot more than the others.

The Gore runs up the middle prior to that throw are unforgivable on their own.  Our multiple guys not being able to block one guy on that Josh run that would have likely sealed the game is unforgivable.  The failed sack on Watson by Milano was unforgivable that allowed Watson to seal the game.  Daboll’s idiotic game calls at key moments was unforgivable, almost all of which involved Gore.  I could name several other self inflicted bone head moments too.

Then there are the refs.  The missing of the play clock being expired for 2 seconds on 3rd and very long in OT was unforgivable.  The fake penalty on Ford was unforgivable.  The refs literally screwed us massively with critical mistakes no less than 3 times (there were more, but saying critical game changing plays).  

Im glad we are upgrading WRs.  And you are absolutely right, Duke is going to be fighting for the 4th and 5th WR spot probably with a rookie along with Foster and McKenzie.  But he was way way down the list of reasons we lost that game IMO.

For me it’s way way way more on Daboll, Refs, and some totally whiffed plays by our players.

I never said Duke was the reason the Bills lost.  I did say that his play is the reason why WR was a huge priority.  His poor play showed Duke likely isn’t worth of the snaps he was getting at WR2. 

I think we can agree that there were a lot of factors for the losses. I think you forgot to add Josh Allen to the list.  He panicked and pissed the bed and played like garbage for most of the second half

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

A first year WR who spent most the season getting scout team reps with practice squad QBs then almost zero reps with Josh in over a month leading into the last few weeks of the season, was supposed to come into a playoff game and not make mistakes. 

What I don't get is how short of a leash we put on players who show high potential but weren't drafted high so are considered throw away players. Duke, by far, imo showed enough to warrant the opportunity he will have to make the team this year AND CONTRIBUTE.

Anyone with good football eyes can see he has the ability. To judge his performance in his 4th or 5th NFL game of his life and say that's why he is fighting for a spot is quite absurd.

Not really he had a chance to contribute on a grand stage and he responded by dropping passes.  Both the TD and a catch late that would have put them in FG range.  He’s nowhere near ready to be a contributor on offense.  Maybe our 6th WR.....MAYBE

It was a frustrating game but I'm not that broken up about it. I never had a realistic expectation of us winning the Super Bowl last year. The team as it stands today, even before the draft, would have won that game easily. I'm past worrying about beating teams like the Texans - that should be the minimum expectation this year. I want to see if we're ready to beat the Chiefs and 49ers. If Allen takes another step forward I think we're already there.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Thanks, man.

Your last sentence nailed it.  I think McD has the potential to be a great coach, but until he adjusts some of his philosophies, he will be limited.

You nailed it. I think McD is a great coach, and this franchise is light years ahead of anywhere we’ve been since the Super Bowl years. However, some people get a little sensitive when his limitations are mentioned. I’ve made this point countless times. We could have the top ranked offense in the league, and we’d blow games by going into a shell too soon.

The clock management/conservative play calling on the series before halftime of the playoff game was an all time blunder of being overly conservative. Some excuse McD for coaching that way because he has a young QB, but that excuse is starting to fade, at some point you need to trust your players. Nursing a lead doesn’t work in the NFL, and making decisions based on fear doesn’t work in any area of life. I hope McD changes that part of his philosophy soon. I’m tired of watching our offense sit on the ball whenever we have a lead before halftime. Leaving those potential points on the table is what separates champions from everyone else. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

It was a frustrating game but I'm not that broken up about it. I never had a realistic expectation of us winning the Super Bowl last year. The team as it stands today, even before the draft, would have won that game easily. I'm past worrying about beating teams like the Texans - that should be the minimum expectation this year. I want to see if we're ready to beat the Chiefs and 49ers. If Allen takes another step forward I think we're already there.

I can’t bring myself to rewatching it, but I agree with your assessment. It hurt, but we weren’t going to the Super Bowl. At the time some people thought we had a chance in a weak AFC, but KC got too hot for anyone to beat. 

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

A first year WR who spent most the season getting scout team reps with practice squad QBs then almost zero reps with Josh in over a month leading into the last few weeks of the season, was supposed to come into a playoff game and not make mistakes. 

What I don't get is how short of a leash we put on players who show high potential but weren't drafted high so are considered throw away players. Duke, by far, imo showed enough to warrant the opportunity he will have to make the team this year AND CONTRIBUTE.

Anyone with good football eyes can see he has the ability. To judge his performance in his 4th or 5th NFL game of his life and say that's why he is fighting for a spot is quite absurd.

It's amazing how everyone forgets the contested catches he made in this game, catches that no one else on the roster could make. Can't believe they take them for granted.

15 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Duke’s performance in that playoff game is exactly why he’s fighting he’s fighting for a 6th WR spot.  It was a huge opportunity that he probably was not ready for.   I think they realized they needed a MUCH better option at WR.

Grilled wings sound good right now

Duke had a collosal drop however he is making this team- number 6 receiver 

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I can’t bring myself to rewatching it, but I agree with your assessment. It hurt, but we weren’t going to the Super Bowl. At the time some people thought we had a chance in a weak AFC, but KC got too hot for anyone to beat. 

I would have been at peace had we beat the Texans, but lost in the Divisional round.  This team was not ready to go to the Super Bowl, or even AFCC.

Some people here are setting unrealistic expectations and need to look under the hood, so to speak.

• Like (+1) 1