Kirk Herbstreit/ no football

major

1 minute ago, Motor26 said:

I refuse to turn on the news until someone delivers some good news on this subject. 

Do you feel that there's good news that isn't being reported, or are you staying away as more of a mental health thing? 

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

Do you feel that there's good news that isn't being reported, or are you staying away as more of a mental health thing? 

More of a mental health thing. This is the first pandemic in the social media era, and it’s throwing all sort of information and misinformation at people. I do think/hope by May we will start to get a grasp on the gravity of this situation. And it will ultimately fall somewhere between the most optimistic predictions and the doomsday predictions.

Just now, CommonCents said:

I like Cuban and it a time like this a little optimism goes a long way. Screw You Herbie. 

I’m actually a Mavs fan and post on their boards. If Cuban thinks things are gonna be better by mid May-June, I believe him. He’s a billionaire, and has far more resources at hand than any of us here do. Also Bill Gates said 6 to. 10 weeks. These are people who would actually be getting the truth on the situation. I’m optimistic they are correct. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nelius said:

Rough analogy. If this burns through everyone then god help us all. 

To your question though, China really hasn't done it yet. For starters we can't really trust a thing that China says, and there is evidence that it's spiking there again. South Korea data is solid and truthful it seems however, and they did it through extreme social distancing, and their culture in general is far more apt than ours to band together and listen to authorities. Do you really think we can get all of America to truly shut down simultaneously for 2-3 weeks like they've done in South Korea and Hong Kong? I find it extremely doubtful. We're already talking about the end of this thing and we collectively haven't even really started simultaneous social distancing yet. Florida still doesn't even have a shut down order!

I wasn't necessarily implying everyone has to get it it.  If the people who are "clean" today don't interact with anyone infected that have it today it will slow down and maybe disapear the way a fire burns itself out.

I live in NC on March 17th we pretty much implemented the same rules as NY did around the same time frame except where I live there was not yet one positive case in my surrounding area.  Effective Monday we now are under a Shelter in place which really doesn't change a whole lot as to what is and isn't open other than they can fine and arrest people whereas today they  can just nicely ask them to leave. 

Today we have close to 20 cases in the area.  By around this time next week and new cases were likely contracted after they shut most stuff down i.e. the rule breakers.  So will see even if half the people obey the rules it should knock the numbers down some.

BTW just curious as have heard conflicting statements on this, not that I even drink coffee but is Starbucks deemed essential and open in NY?

13 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

More of a mental health thing. This is the first pandemic in the social media era, and it’s throwing all sort of information and misinformation at people. I do think/hope by May we will start to get a grasp on the gravity of this situation. And it will ultimately fall somewhere between the most optimistic predictions and the doomsday predictions.

Yeah I totally agree with you, that's why I asked. I've thankfully stayed away from social media but I've been obsessed with this thing since late January. Mainly just watching clips from disease experts and following relatively level-headed discussion. At this point I've had the family locked down for two weeks so it seems likely that we don't have it, so I kind of want to turn everything off and focus on other things, but man it's difficult. I've found this virus to be a total productivity killer, it's hard to focus on much of anything when a historical pandemic is playing out around you.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

I’m actually a Mavs fan and post on their boards. If Cuban thinks things are gonna be better by mid May-June, I believe him. He’s a billionaire, and has far more resources at hand than any of us here do. Also Bill Gates said 6 to. 10 weeks. These are people who would actually be getting the truth on the situation. I’m optimistic they are correct. 

I just don’t like when someone like Herbie uses their status to spout off about something that he has no extra information on. It just makes things worse and his guess is no better than anyone else’s. It’s just that he has a recognizable face because of his job. 

• Like (+1) 1

None of us have any idea what the future holds at this point. I love football but with all that is happening, there is so much more to worry about that I have a hard time appreciating football even as a distraction. Bottom line, if things are anything like they are now come September, no one in their right mind would go to a stadium full of people. I hope it doesn't come to that for reasons far more important than football. 

Strange times.

2 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I just don’t like when someone like Herbie uses their status to spout off about something that he has no extra information on. It just makes things worse and his guess is no better than anyone else’s. It’s just that he has a recognizable face because of his job. 

Yeah he has zero credibility on this subject. Whereas guys like Cuban, Gates, people with Big money, have a lot better information than his guess. I also think, like Cuban said, even if they were to play games without fans, it would just do a lot to improve morale of people.  If I had a Mavs game to watch right now, it would do a lot to gravitate my mind away from thoughts of this virus. I would love to watch the Bills this fall even with no fans. Would be an escape. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

There are growing indications the virus is seasonal.  Thus the curve may flatten in the warmer months and return when it gets cooler.  I wouldn't bet on seeing football until there's a truly effective vaccine out there, and that's many months away.

If those "growing indications" are based on some facts and you have a reference, feel free to post them in the "covid-19 facts" thread.

Just to point out that several countries are containing this without a vaccine, and without shutting down.  It takes a test, and it takes contact tracing.

And on that note, I'll point out that the OP is hard to debate without Yet Another Covid Thread in TSW so it's Locksville

• Thank you (+1) 1