Kirk Herbstreit/ no football

major

Just now, JohnC said:

What do you mean by controlled exposures?

As it stands we don't even know what percentage of the population is infected with the virus. If people behave responsibly and follow the guidelines the curve certainly can be flattened. But what happens if someone is asymptomatic and the virus is dormant and for some reason it is activated? What makes this virus more frightening and dangerous than the generic flu is that it so highly contagious. You can go from containing this virus and then in quick order have it re-ignite and exponentially infect others. 

This is a complicated and inflammable issue that can alter the way we live for a very long time. 

I mean systematically expose everyone to this virus and let nature take its course. Eventually everyone will be infected anyway at this rate. As you mentioned, who knows how many people have it or already has it and were asymptomatic.

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I mean systematically expose everyone to this virus and let nature take its course. Eventually everyone will be infected anyway at this rate. As you mentioned, who knows how many people have it or already has it and were asymptomatic.

How can you systematically expose a population when the authorities in charge don't have the capacity to test for it? A big fear as noted by Dr. Fauci is that the virus becomes dormant and then re-ignites at a later time. As far as the vaccine goes even if it proves to be successful how do you deal with a large portion of the population who refuse to get vaccinated? As it stands 50% of the people don't get flu shots even when it is available. 

11 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Is this a fact or your opinion?

Well obviously it is not a fact until it is announced but it is just unrealistic to think any different. This virus isn't disappearing in 4 or 6 weeks. More like 4 or 6 months.  

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well obviously it is not a fact until it is announced but it is just unrealistic to think any different. This virus isn't disappearing in 4 or 6 weeks. More like 4 or 6 months.  

Ok. I said by July 4th. That is 15 weeks.  I’m not sure where you got 4 to 6 weeks. I never said that.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

15 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Same with Liverpool soccer. 

That season is done. I have on very good authority that when the Premier League meets next week a majority of clubs (11 out of 20) will vote for abandonment. A final decision won't come down until May but the 19/20 season is void. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

How can you systematically expose a population when the authorities in charge don't have the capacity to test for it? A big fear as noted by Dr. Fauci is that the virus becomes dormant and then re-ignites at a later time. As far as the vaccine goes even if it proves to be successful how do you deal with a large portion of the population who refuse to get vaccinated? As it stands 50% of the people don't get flu shots even when it is available. 

We can’t keep everything shutdown for people who choose not to get the vaccine.  Social Darwinism.  

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

We can’t keep everything shutdown for people who choose not to get the vaccine.  Social Darwinism.  

Forget about the vaccine. We are a year away from that remedy. How and when do we get back to normal (attending games, concerts, socializing, restaurants, schools etc.) when there isn't a vaccine to deal with this currently infectious virus? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

We dont have the capacity to  test everyone now because of how fast this ramped up. Eventually we will, if people choose to do so. As far as the flu shot goes and how its related to this, I say let nature take its course. Many will die, but we either need a vaccine like polio, or the body will build up a natural defense like chicken pox. 

I would be surprised if the NFL does not have games close to normal schedule even if they do not have any fans present. They can test all players repeatedly if needed and play in empty stadiums but the TV ratings will be great if not simply for the normalcy of it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That season is done. I have on very good authority that when the Premier League meets next week a majority of clubs (11 out of 20) will vote for abandonment. A final decision won't come down until May but the 19/20 season is void. 

It just sucks. Whatever happens there will be an asterisk. There's no doubt Liverpool was class of the field this year.

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Forget about the vaccine. We are a year away from that remedy. How and when do we get back to normal (attending games, concerts, socializing, restaurants, schools etc.) when there isn't a vaccine to deal with this currently infectious virus? 

Agreed.  There won’t be large public gatherings like games and concerts until there is a vaccine.  But when there’s a vaccine, I can’t see people being ok not going back to normal because some people choose not to get the vaccine.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

It just sucks. Whatever happens there will be an asterisk. There's no doubt Liverpool was class of the field this year.

They were. Of a very bad field it must be said but this is an excellent Liverpool team. 

Edit: not sure it will have worked its way over there yet but the Football Association voided all semi professional leagues for the season yesterday. It is very much the direction of travel. 

Edited by GunnerBill

2 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

One of the things that I admire about Josh is that he is self-motivated and a worker. As this link indicates you don't have to worry about him when he is on his own. I don't know for sure what his potential is but what I do know for sure is that he is going to maximize it to the best of his ability. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Same with Liverpool soccer. 

They were, what, two games away from a league title, with an all but insurmountable point lead? They should have just been declared champions.

Just now, Logic said:

They were, what, two games away from a league title, with an all but insurmountable point lead? They should have just been declared champions.

That isn't impossible still. Even if it is abandoned. The problem is they then have a season with champions but no other outcomes because they can't declare relegation or European qualification based on the table. They would be bang to rights in court on that. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

PicsArt_03-27-08.11.46.jpg

I dont know what the odds were, but it had to be like 99.99999999% they would get the title.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1