Kirk Herbstreit/ no football

major

2 minutes ago, ColeB said:

And then, as with the Spanish flu of 1918, the virus could mutate and return with a vengeance in the fall and winter.

OK that's worse than my worst case scenario. Scary

Edited by Nelius

5 minutes ago, ColeB said:

And then, as with the Spanish flu of 1918, the virus could mutate and return with a vengeance in the fall and winter.

I hope it miraculously disappears altogether, and the Spanish flu was no joke, but going away for the summer is almost best case scenario at this point. At least we’d have a little time to prepare for the next round. Otherwise, we’re just stuck with it until a vaccine comes around, and that’s not nearly going to happen soon enough. 

Edited by SirAndrew

20 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

By worse than what they are telling us, I meant worse than what you linked to

If the shut down/quarantine goes past the summer, we will be talking about cities being war zones, entire cities would be homeless. We are talking collapse of society as we know it. We are talking much worse than corona. Like people being murdered for a glass of water type bad

Oh for chrissakes. THIS seems like reasonable and well informed conjecture. ?

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I hope it miraculously disappears altogether, and the Spanish flu was no joke, but going away for the summer is almost best case scenario at this point. At least we’d have a little time to prepare for the next round. 

Hopefully with someone other than the Orange Man occupying that big white house.

It's way too early to come to this conclusion.  I'm sure the higher ups in college and NFL may have this thought come across their mind, but I doubt they're ready to cancel their seasons.  Surprising this is coming from Kirk.

My opinion - It’s worse than we know. The country will eventually come back to life in stages after the spike in cases goes down in those areas. Summer may help. But it will not be normal activity - we will be working with social distancing limits which means no group sports and no fans in stands. Until vaccine or effective treatment comes along, no football and that stinks.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Herbie has been pretty erratic with his comments. The other day he RTd one of Clay Travis’s tweets which is the complete opposite side of that spectrum. It’s ok to have that opinion if he does. But espn may need to reel him in a bit. 

Whether he is simply giving an opinion or not it is not implausible that sports, all spectator sports, might have to be put on pause until this virus is contained by a vaccine. And from what the experts are indicating that might be a year or so away. There certainly is a contamination risk that can exponentially spread if only a small percentage of an attending crowd were infected with the virus, even if asymptomatic. This is a tough and complicated issue. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think there is very little chance for a season. 

When they are back the landscape will have completely changed. 

Retires, out of shape, Virus victims and perhaps 2 Drafts. 

There are reports that even getting over the virus leaves long term damage to the respiratory system. I imagine that would have a big impact on a top tier athlete. 

If they cancel the season do they still pay players? What does fully guaranteed even mean in this context?

What do players do if they lived paycheck to paycheck ? like they say some do on ESPN 30 for 30? 

Could teams go under with no revenue and still having to pay salary and leases? 

Owners may not the same luxury of cash flow from other business. 

Interesting times. 

17 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I'm not exactly following. This is unprecedented territory. What I linked to is pretty awful. I think 300+ US dead per day and counting is already terrible and it will get worse, but I don't think we're going to start murdering each other in the streets any time soon. My community is stepping up big time already with helping the poor, hungry, etc. This is a huge deal, but I don't think society is going to collapse if it continues for months, which it will. We just may not be able to watch some football.

Remember, there is no real current food or water shortage despite the grocery store hoarding. That's just idiots hoarding. If people just stay the eff inside and watch some TV we should be able to minimize the impact. Worst case scenario is that it's life for 12-18 months until there's a vaccine.

Does anyone have confidence in our leaders to know how to properly administer the distribution of a vaccine?  Many people believe the flu shot gives them the flu so they don’t bother getting it.  The way it’s going with this virus, just about everybody will want the vaccine.  That’s 330 million people.  It could be chaos.  The privileged may be first in line.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

China tried opening up basketball after 4 months and had to shut down due to an outbreak.

The problem with the virus is its not going away until we have something to fight it other than social distancing. 

It's very likely football doesn't start in September.

Then we need to flatten the curve as they say and do controlled exposures while working on a vaccination. This ***** can't dictate how we live any longer than necessary. 

• Like (+1) 1

Most cities only shutdown 3 weeks for the Spanish flu.  There were also millions dying in Europe at the same time from the war, so death was almost commonplace. Not saying the orange man is right because all he cares about are his re-election chances, but it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.  Entirely possible that football doesn’t happen this fall.  Much easier to quarantine 10 basketball players and play in empty arenas than it is for football to do the same.  

23 minutes ago, ColeB said:

...or if might not.  He has no facts of expertise to make that statement.  No one knows what the outcome will be. If the mass of media thinks the worst, then bet against them.

Just now, Just Joshin' said:

...or if might not.  He has no facts of expertise to make that statement.  No one knows what the outcome will be. If the mass of media thinks the worst, then bet against them.

Yep, no one really knows anything about how this will turn out. Sadly, that doesn’t everyone from running their month. People can’t live without answers, and the reality is answers don’t exist. 

Just now, Just Joshin' said:

I tend to listen to what health experts and scientists are saying. And they are worried in the short term about flattening the curve so that health services are less overwhelmed while long term there are so many projections that could be both bad and less bad. Hope for the best prepare for the worst. I do hope that we have football and a sense of normalcy by September. 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Logic said:

I know someone already said it in this thread, but...

The fact that the Bills are the best they’ve been in decades and are FINALLY favored to win their division again, not to mention Brady finally leaving the East...and THIS happens to be the year the NFL may not have a season?! 

Oy. God must be a Pats fan ?

Same with Liverpool soccer. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

I tend to listen to what health experts and scientists are saying. And they are worried in the short term about flattening the curve so that health services are less overwhelmed while long term there are so many projections that could be both bad and less bad. Hope for the best prepare for the worst. I do hope that we have football and a sense of normalcy by September. 

That is correct, but all the experts know is we need to flatten the curve not to overwhelm the healthcare system. That is a fact, and it would save countless lives. What they don’t know is how this will end. 

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Then we need to flatten the curve as they say and do controlled exposures while working on a vaccination. This ***** can't dictate how we live any longer than necessary. 

What do you mean by controlled exposures?

As it stands we don't even know what percentage of the population is infected with the virus. If people behave responsibly and follow the guidelines the curve certainly can be flattened. But what happens if someone is asymptomatic and the virus is dormant and for some reason it is activated? What makes this virus more frightening and dangerous than the generic flu is that it so highly contagious. You can go from containing this virus and then in quick order have it re-ignite and exponentially infect others. 

This is a complicated and inflammable issue that can alter the way we live for a very long time.