Kirk Herbstreit/ no football

major

5 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Maybe the best thing for.  This nation already has an unhealthy addiction/obsession with it as it stands pre- Covid-19.  When something on this scale happens only exposes how “non-essential” a sport ANY sport really is besides mindless entertainment that gets treated like life and death.

I tell you even if the NFL does come back all sports for that matter the last thing I’m gonna wanna hear is some coach give a BS answer with coach speak when asked a simple question.

”Coach ____________.  You’re a football coach you’re not a scientist you’re not a doctor stop making it seem like what you do is very important just answer the question.”

Sports are the very thread that holds a ton of relationships together. It’s in times like these that we need sports. Want to get people to stay home, give them something to watch. Want people to take a break from bad news, watch sports. Sports would help not hurt. Play the games with no one in the stands and offer pay per view if need be for owners to make money. Sports will be back sooner than later I think.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

There will be football in September. There will be baseball before the 4th of July. My two cents. This country will not stay on hold for too much longer. Herbie sounds like he had a tough day homeschooling. I believe he has 4 kids! 

What do you want to bet?

I haven't missed any of the other sports, but I would very depressed if Football cancelled. I see the virus likely disappearing over the summer, only to reappear next winter again, but that is just a guess on my part. 

How long can ESPN survive with no live sports? I think they can get through to the fall, but the loss of the NFL would be catastrophic. I also wonder how many owners can survive no season if their other business ventures are not making money as well. 

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

China tried opening up basketball after 4 months and had to shut down due to an outbreak.

The problem with the virus is its not going away until we have something to fight it other than social distancing. 

It's very likely football doesn't start in September.

So how'd China and Korea do it?  I kind of look at this like a forest fire, eventually there's nothing left to burn so it goes away.

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So how'd China and Korea do it?  I kind of look at this like a forest fire, eventually there's nothing left to burn so it goes away.

The problem is it's not a forest that is standing still.

You got the trees that self-isolating, the trees that are running around touching every other tree and all the trees in between.

When a forest fire start, the trees either burn where they are growing or don't.

• Like (+1) 1

I think there will be football. 

The annual spring/summer college scrimmages will not happen

NFL training camp will be closed to the public

The regular season may be shortened

Games may be played to an empty stadium

I do not think there will be baseball

• Like (+1) 1

The world as we know it isnt shutting down for 6 months.  At some point life is continuing.  The NFL may have to get a special agreement for training camp this year. Football not long ago was a 6 month job.  Training camp will be closer to what it was in the 90s but the NFL season will start.  If it doesnt than there was a mass collapse of the country and society.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yep, this is the season God had scheduled for the Bills to win the Super Bowl. (The Divine has a dark sense of humor.)

Actually what league shattering event occurred which should take the blame? 

The divorce of T*m Br*dy and Bill "I've never seen a cheat I'd not employ' Belichick. 

Blame them.

I don't see how there wouldn't be a season unless this corona is worse than what they're telling us

Now will there be a full off season of otas training camp and pre season, I doubt.

Also want to point out if there is no football this fall, we have a lot more pressing issues other than football and frankly that thought gets very depressing

54 minutes ago, major said:

ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit: 'I'll be shocked' if there's football in the fall because of coronavirus. I feel the higher ups in college and nfl know this, but few are willing to say it. Your thoughts?

I’ve been saying the same thing...I’m not expecting a 2020 season...

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I hate to say it but at this point I agree with him.  The problem is the peak in New York City will be followed by growth in other places, e.g., New Orleans, Boston, Detroit, etc.  Hopefully the summer kills this thing off, but right now I have my doubts that we're closer to the end than to the beginning.  

I fear the fact that this thing is now running rampant in New Orleans is evidence that this is unfortunately not seasonal. Warm climates are watching cases explode as well. This very well could be life until there's a vaccine.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

I haven't missed any of the other sports, but I would very depressed if Football cancelled. I see the virus likely disappearing over the summer, only to reappear next winter again, but that is just a guess on my part. 

How long can ESPN survive with no live sports? I think they can get through to the fall, but the loss of the NFL would be catastrophic. I also wonder how many owners can survive no season if their other business ventures are not making money as well. 

I don’t miss the NBA, and I will never watch MLB, but I sure do love college hoops. The NCAA tournament and football (mostly NFL) are my thing. Missed the NCAA tournament dearly, but missing the Bills, this year in particular, would be a tough blow. 

Having said all that, other people have REAL problems, so...... 

16 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Rough analogy. If this burns through everyone then god help us all. 

To your question though, China really hasn't done it yet. For starters we can't really trust a thing that China says, and there is evidence that it's spiking there again. South Korea data is solid and truthful it seems however, and they did it through extreme social distancing, and their culture in general is far more apt than ours to band together and listen to authorities. Do you really think we can get all of America to truly shut down simultaneously for 2-3 weeks like they've done in South Korea and Hong Kong? I find it extremely doubtful. We're already talking about the end of this thing and we collectively haven't even really started simultaneous social distancing yet. Florida still doesn't even have a shut down order!

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2