Work impact of Covid-19 virus

Punching Bag

How has Covid-19 virus affected your employment?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How has Covid-19 virus affected your employment?

• Retired, no impact
    • Work is open as usual
    • Laid off from job with severance
    • Laid off from job with unemployment
    • Laid off from job with no benefits
    • Working via telecomuting 100% of time
    • Working reduced hours
    • Work more than 1 job, some impacted and others not
    • Working more hours either because others cant or more work
    • Was not working when issue started
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/04/2020 at 09:04 PM

My workplace has been divided into 3 teams.

One team is on an indefinite telework status because they are over 60, have a medical condition that impairs the immune system, or someone in their household has an impaired immune system

The other two teams are on a 3 days on/2 off/telework, 2 days on/3 off/telework rotation

I work for a food company that ships food out across the country and state of Florida. Right now we are exploding b/c of people stuck inside. Every morning our company take the temp of every employee. Basically they say, :"You want to keep working through this Social Distancing and that include your families." The owners are thinking the state gov't is about to make our company an emergency food distributor. So we are gearing up for it b/c it will mean very long hours. But we will provide food for hospital workers, families of hospital workers while this is going on. I am going to find about more by Monday but our business has gone up around 15% in the past 2 weeks.

8 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

So, this may not be the right place to ask, but is it still up to each town/county/state to have the own plans, or are things beginning to be more coordinated? (back in America)

Completely uncoordinated.  Some states are imposing restrictions and others are allowing per county/city/area.  Like liquor laws you can find jurisdictions next to each other with different rules.  Some rules are soft and some are hard.  No consistent terms.

It appears more per metro area which kind of makes sense.  

Buffalo and New York City are hardly alike other than both being in New York State with New York City closer to Boston than Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Work is just ramping up for us. I'm an RN and girlfriend is a PA at a regional hospital in the northeast. No shut down's here. Just hoping we make it out unscathed. Lack of PPE's is a real thing.

Fellow RN here.

Have had a huge downturn in ED visits, see less than half the normal visits.  Couple that with not doing elective surgeries, and our hospital is far below capacity.  Need to keep it like that, just starting to get the COVID patients.  We are actually overstaffing a bit.  

Lack of PPE is real.  Sad that Te CDC has been forced to relax the requirements because of lack of supply.  We need to be better than this.

Been working from home for a long time, so that isn't much different.  But had a few standing meetings that have been cancelled / gone virtual and also now no face to face meetings with clients which  is weird.  

Fortunately, wife is still working full time but 50% is telecommute.

Have some clients having very tough times of it, so much so, that I might not get paid by a couple.  Stinks, but am still better off than many.

Good luck to all.

My wife and daughter are high school teachers.  Schools are closed, possibly (probably) for the rest of the school year. They are trying to post videos and use Google Classroom.  The teachers don’t really know what is expected of them, and a lot of the kids are not taking it seriously.  I don’t know how this is going to work. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Work is just ramping up for us. I'm an RN and girlfriend is a PA at a regional hospital in the northeast. No shut down's here. Just hoping we make it out unscathed. Lack of PPE's is a real thing.

Thank you for what you and your GF are doing. All you healthcare workers are heroes in my eyes.

• Like (+1) 2

Sent the over 60 crowd... LoL... Only one guy out of us 13, home. Free leave to May 11.

Other over 60 was deployed in Afghanistan.  He's sent back and in quarantine.  Will get redeployed?

So...we were playing with short bench to begin with 9/10 operators.  10 of  the 13 staff 24/7/365...Sent the two management people home.  Mechanic home.

Picking up an extra 30 hours time in coming weeks.  Business as usual operating. 

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sent the over 60 crowd... LoL... Only one guy out of us 13, home. Free leave to May 11.

Other over 60 was deployed in Afghanistan.  He's sent back and in quarantine.  Will get redeployed?

So...we were playing with short bench to begin with 9/10 operators.  10 of  the 13 staff 24/7/365...Sent the two management people home.  Mechanic home.

Picking up an extra 30 hours time in coming weeks.  Business as usual operating. 

I can see the viral videos now.........

Carp Gone Wild! 

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They gotta get through along with the fuel for your car.  ?

That lentil sloppy joe recipe was all the gas I need for a while! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

My wife went to OfficeMax trying to improve her work at home situation. They are completely out of monitors. ZERO. Nada. Zilch.....

Ironically I am putting my old monitors out for recycle trying to make space for more toilet paper.

Maybe with toilet paper getting harder to find (Are manufacturers of toilet paper considered essential?) bidets will be more common.

I am lucky that I’m essential, even have the letter in case I get pulled over.  So still working regular hours.  The wife though is working from home 100%.  Which is good because her office is now being used for testing employees for Covid. 

Dunno where to post this. Maybe the "laugh" thread, though some might not laugh. It's Covid related so, here ya go!:

Definitely Not Safe For Work.

NSFW!!

(But perhaps needed at work.)

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Augie said:

My wife went to OfficeMax trying to improve her work at home situation. They are completely out of monitors. ZERO. Nada. Zilch.....

I took mine home from the office on our last day there 3 weeks ago.  Almost didn’t bother, but so glad I did.  Staring at the laptop all day would have been brutal.

How long is the wait to get them online?