Work impact of Covid-19 virus

Punching Bag

How has Covid-19 virus affected your employment?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How has Covid-19 virus affected your employment?

• Retired, no impact
    • Work is open as usual
    • Laid off from job with severance
    • Laid off from job with unemployment
    • Laid off from job with no benefits
    • Working via telecomuting 100% of time
    • Working reduced hours
    • Work more than 1 job, some impacted and others not
    • Working more hours either because others cant or more work
    • Was not working when issue started
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/04/2020 at 09:04 PM

Down to 3 days a week as of Monday. 2 days NYS workshare. I run all the presses and imaging devices so impossible to work from home full time. Could do some stuff at home but need to be there for the bulk of what I do.  

I still go to work as normal. I work at a finance related business so we received exemption. We are down to under 10 essential staff members in office. A few have chosen to work from home via VPN. I chose to go to work because my job would take at least double the time if I didn't have my two big monitors and working from home would be a nightmare. The remainder of the staff is at home getting full pay and benefits for at least 30 days since this past Monday. They are are not working.

Friends ask me if it bothers me that I'm not getting paid extra while everyone else is home getting paid to binge watch Netflix. My answer is a huge no for two reasons.

1. Job security. Full pay and benefits was only guaranteed for 30 days.

2. I would probably end up getting in a fight with my neighbors. They chainsmoke in their apt and it comes up through the heating vents. It honestly seems like it seeps through the walls as well. Just smelling that crap all day is aggravating and headache enducing.

21 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I took mine home from the office on our last day there 3 weeks ago.  Almost didn’t bother, but so glad I did.  Staring at the laptop all day would have been brutal.

How long is the wait to get them online?

Not sure on the wait time, but they are ordered.

Had trouble hooking up monitor for MacBook Pro (her home setup) with Microsoft work laptop. Apple store closed to interior traffic and not much help. Started from scratch and ordered more similar to what she has at the office. 

EDIT: She moved her “command central” from her giant office to my small, and for the last couple years unused office. Her office is over the garage (so roughly 400 SF) and is another family room with TV, couch etc, plus Murphy bed (4th emergency bedroom) and a bath we added. It is also her command central and where she spends much of her home time. She has one of those Mirror workout deals so it’s also her gym. Den/guest BR/office/gym in one.  NOW, she wants a defined “work space” that is not confused with “home”. These are strange times, and it hits in different ways. 

Edited by Augie

Was told that USPTO extended all contracts not already out for bid to September even those for small disadvantaged businesses who were scheduled to graduate from program which is good for me. Often during these times government clamps down especially before a national election.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So wait, you're actually used to being in the same space for prolonged periods of time?

Yep. We've been married for 32 years, and I left my full-time job to freelance almost two years ago. So far, no lawyers or weapons have been necessary. ?

Good article on new work at home. Those who worked at home before probably were aware of some mentioned.  Saw link on LinkedIn.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Why-You-Should-Ignore-All-That/248366

Global catastrophes change the world, and this pandemic is very much akin to a major war. Even if we contain the Covid-19 crisis within a few months, the legacy of this pandemic will live with us for years, perhaps decades to come. It will change the way we move, build, learn, and connect. There is simply no way that our lives will resume as if this had never happened. 

On 3/28/2020 at 1:40 PM, Limeaid said:

Ironically I am putting my old monitors out for recycle trying to make space for more toilet paper.

Maybe with toilet paper getting harder to find (Are manufacturers of toilet paper considered essential?) bidets will be more common.

You can retrofit any toilet for about $300.

white-spt-bidet-seats-sb-2036l-64_1000.j

Meet: "TheWashlet"

What will those Japanese think of next!

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You can retrofit any toilet for about $300.

white-spt-bidet-seats-sb-2036l-64_1000.j

Meet: "TheWashlet"

What will those Japanese think of next!

$300?  I spent about $50 on mine.  Not all the features of that one, but it works. 

• Like (+1) 1