Work impact of Covid-19 virus

Punching Bag

How has Covid-19 virus affected your employment?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How has Covid-19 virus affected your employment?

• Retired, no impact
    • Work is open as usual
    • Laid off from job with severance
    • Laid off from job with unemployment
    • Laid off from job with no benefits
    • Working via telecomuting 100% of time
    • Working reduced hours
    • Work more than 1 job, some impacted and others not
    • Working more hours either because others cant or more work
    • Was not working when issue started
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/04/2020 at 09:04 PM

Impact on employment is not the same for everyone.  I work from home now (and was not allowed to before) at a job which is a lot slower since Patent and Trademark office went to "Quiet Time" (basically no changes unless necessary) with it slowing down earlier due to reduction in data miners from China.  My wife has labor union contract for food service so she is being paid until end of school year while they are closed.  Many of her friends are in restaurant business and hours are being cut and some being let go without severance.  A couple of friends have extra work now doing jobs for companies whose employees are out either due to illness, child care or taking care of relatives.

How about you?

I'm very fortunate that my company is able to keep all 60,000 employees. They are even paying our hourly folks an additional 3 weeks of PTO while we are effectively locked out of our building.

We've been working from home as if everything else is normal for 2.5 weeks now, and are scheduled to stay home until May 1.

I'm actually on a conf call right now (and paying the same amount of attention as usual).

I work remotely so this isn't a huge change for me. My office/warehouse/factory out in CA has been closed since the prior Monday, however. All those people are currently not working and getting paid. 

I have so many service industry friends that are screwed right now..........I feel terrible about their situation.

14 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I have so many service industry friends that are screwed right now..........I feel terrible about their situation.

Same. I wanted to throw a big dinner for them and feed them and send them home with leftovers... but then remembered we arent allowed to gather together!

I look forward to how hard everyone is going to party when this is over. Should be a good month for them in tips when we do finally get back to normal.

• Like (+1) 3

Full send at my place of work.  Got roped into service as a lackey for the governor enforcing the executive orders on top of all the regular duties.  More hours because really we don't have the personnel to cover all our shifts to begin with and there are a few guys out on sick time at the moment.  

On the bright side there's constantly food around because we're all trying to keep our favorite take out places in business.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Full send at my place of work.  Got roped into service as a lackey for the governor enforcing the executive orders on top of all the regular duties.  More hours because really we don't have the personnel to cover all our shifts to begin with and there are a few guys out on sick time at the moment.  

On the bright side there's constantly food around because we're all trying to keep our favorite take out places in business.  

Knowing you, there's some of these hiding in your pocket..........

Labatt Blue Light | Total Wine & More

• Haha (+1) 1

I am retired, so no direct impact on me. My wife stopped flying for work a month ago, and stopped going to the office two weeks ago, so having her home is certainly different. Even when this is deemed “over”, I suspect her travel will be reduced. Things are going just fine, and she rarely needs to be physically present. The cost of the travel is not insignificant. 

Our son still has a job working remotely from his fiancés parents lake house. The fiancé made the cutdown from 600 to 40 employees, but was furloughed a couple days ago.  

Strange times.... Imagine if this had happened just 25 years ago. We didn’t even have a computer at the house!  What would THAT have looked like?  

• Like (+1) 1

This is typically a slower time of the year for me, but this has definately impacted it too. Trying hard to do as much remotely as possible. Fortunately Social Security kicked in last year, so most of my basic living expenses are taken care of with that. Still, on occasion, I will venture into a client's business or home. But I try to make sure there is limited exposure. It's a far from perfect solution, but there you have it. I'm also delivering stuff to a few elderly friends and clients, so I do my best to protect them from me, just in case.

I REALLY feel bad for anyone working under the table in bar/restaurant industry. It's a fairly common practice. I'm not sure if they will qualify for any of the government relief programs.

BTW, do we know if anyone on the Wall has tested positive?  If so, do we need to stay 6 posts away from their posts?  :rolleyes:

No seriously I hope we are all safe and doing our best to stay that way.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I am retired, so no direct impact on me. My wife stopped flying for work a month ago, and stopped going to the office two weeks ago, so having her home is certainly different. Even when this is deemed “over”, I suspect her travel will be reduced. Things are going just fine, and she rarely needs to be physically present. The cost of the travel is not insignificant. 

Our son still has a job working remotely from his fiancés parents lake house. The fiancé made the cutdown from 600 to 40 employees, but was furloughed a couple days ago.  

Strange times.... Imagine if this had happened just 25 years ago. We didn’t even have a computer at the house!  What would THAT have looked like?  

Hopefully the availability of the Internet and streaming entertainment will reduce the number of suicides and homicides I suspect should rise during these times.  Then again, I wouldn't be surprised by a small baby boom, after this, too.  I wonder what the net gain/loss of life directly related to the isolation will be?

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

I REALLY feel bad for anyone working under the table in bar/restaurant industry. It's a fairly common practice. I'm not sure if they will qualify for any of the government relief programs.

My wife is school kitchen manager and large portion of kids qualify for Free and Reduced Lunch (Reduced is free anyways).

She often sees the kids who have no money for lunch buy snacks often more expensive than the lunches they cannot afford.

She also sees them in parking lot and many of them have brand new, current model cars and she has heard them say "car is in uncle's name".

Most of these kids do not need the free lunches and their parents work under the table under reporting income so I do not feel sorry for them.

15 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

My wife is school kitchen manager and large portion of kids qualify for Free and Reduced Lunch (Reduced is free anyways).

She often sees the kids who have no money for lunch buy snacks often more expensive than the lunches they cannot afford.

She also sees them in parking lot and many of them have brand new, current model cars and she has heard them say "car is in uncle's name".

Most of these kids do not need the free lunches and their parents work under the table under reporting income so I do not feel sorry for them.

Yes, some people take advantage of the free services meant for the truly needy It's a shame. But, not to turn this into a PPP thread, it's a drop in the bucket compared to corporate/billionaire theft. I guess in their case, it's just "smart management".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

BTW, do we know if anyone on the Wall has tested positive?  If so, do we need to stay 6 posts away from their posts?  :rolleyes:

That gave me a good chuckle.  Humor is definitely a requirement through all this.

Maybe we can have a quarantine sub-forum.

1 hour ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Work is just ramping up for us. I'm an RN and girlfriend is a PA at a regional hospital in the northeast. No shut down's here. Just hoping we make it out unscathed. Lack of PPE's is a real thing.

You stay safe and thank you for being a major badass when all I can do is stare at Excel.

As for me, I'm finishing up my second full week of working from home. My salary was cut 20% and I know most of the company has been furloughed. I'm still considered "essential" as in my job can still make money, but I have a job at the end of April (assuming this isn't going away) I will be surprised. 

Edited by Captain Hindsight
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

You stay safe and thank you for being a major badass when all I can do is stare at Excel.

As for me, I'm finishing up my second full week of working from home. My salary was cut 20% and I know most of the company has been furloughed. I'm still considered "essential" as in my job can still make money, but I have a job at the end of April (assuming this isn't going away) I will be surprised. 

My wife is struggling a bit getting the technology up to the level she has at the office, but is making it work. A guy on her team in Boston was still going into the office because he needed the big double monitors to deal with huge spreadsheets. She told him to “go home!!!” and she had monitors delivered to his house. The bank had a policy you couldn’t take any equipment home (maybe that’s changed now? Very fluid situation). It only cost her a couple hundred bucks to keep him working, well worth it! 

Some of the buildings are not owned by the bank, and the owner of the building has shut them down 100%. Going in is not an option. You have to adapt.

Sorry you had to take a haircut there, but 80% is better than nothing. Good luck going forward. This sure does suck in a lot of different ways......

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

My wife is struggling a bit getting the technology up to the level she has at the office, but is making it work. A guy on her team in Boston was still going into the office because he needed the big double monitors to deal with huge spreadsheets. She told him to “go home!!!” and she had monitors delivered to his house. The bank had a policy you couldn’t take any equipment home (maybe that’s changed now? Very fluid situation). It only cost her a couple hundred bucks to keep him working, well worth it! 

Some of the buildings are not owned by the bank, and the owner of the building has shut them down 100%. Going in is not an option. You have to adapt.

Sorry you had to take a haircut there, but 80% is better than nothing. Good luck going forward. This sure does suck in a lot of different ways......

One takeaway from this is the realization of how much better I have it than other people. I think most of us can find that, if we really look. (Obviously others are in very bad shape, no matter how you look at it.)

I have recently relocated into a much smaller/older dwelling from the nice big condo. I was cooking/cleaning in my kitchen when my incredibly small sink (1/2 sink, really) frustrated me. I thought, "This is the worst problem in my life!" Maybe a bit of hyperbole, but still, THAT'S the worst thing in my life? I guess I got it pretty good. Not much money, mind you, but so what?

• Like (+1) 1

As of yesterday I am now telecommuting to work on the daily. So far no issues. Yet do miss having colleagues to banter and vent with in person. Also my shift ends an hour and a half earlier than the wife's so can't sit on the sofa after work and veg like I usually do but do have a bedroom or two that can sneak off to as needed or because our company looking for it work an hour or two of OT to build up some more money just in case her status changes as she is an essential job and her employers have whispered waiting on the federal unemployment thing to get worked out. 

New Zealand has been in "Stage 4" (lockdown) for the past three days, but I've already been working at home for a week.  Stage 4 is to last at least 4 weeks.  (Probably more.)

Everything is shut down except for essential services.

Like many of you here, I feel incredibly grateful and fortunate to have a safe, steady job.  My heart goes out to all of those who don't.

That said, this working from home thing has been interesting to say the least.

I usually go out of my way to never bring work related stress back to my home and family, but it's now directly inside my home. 

My overenthusiastic manager wants to keep things flowing and has been encouraging us all to all use video conferencing for meetings.  God I hate it.  (I want my coworkers out of my house!)

So, this may not be the right place to ask, but is it still up to each town/county/state to have the own plans, or are things beginning to be more coordinated? (back in America)