Micah Hyde On-side Kick Return vs. Dolphins

JoeF

1 hour ago, chongli said:

You can't play the game scared, or in a prevent defense. I'd rather take the 7. Who cares if Miami marches down the field? The Bills just scored 7.

Also, the Ravens tried to prevent injuries by resting their starters in Game 17 vs. Pittsburgh last year. They were off the next week, and then lost big time to the Titans. It would have been better had the starters played and stayed in shape. You have to go for the gusto in this league.

Naw, let him have his fun. This was an exciting play. You can't play the game scared.

Cummings didn't have any special teams TD's.

You are right. My bad.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

First i was corrected,  Fred was tackled didn't go down voluntarily.

Another big difference is with Fred the Bills were tied and did need to score, even a cheap shot FG did entail some risk.

And there would have been 1.38 left to score 10 about the same amount of time the Cowboys had with the ball at midfield on MNF vs Bills down by 12.   Cowboys came back and beat us in regulation, and that is with Cowboys missing a 2 pt conversion.

As i wrote earlier what if Hyde was tackled & fumbled or twisted his ankle and fumbled.  Had he dropped down the game would have been over after three victory formations.

The play that sticks with me was Antowain smith’s long td run in 1997 vs the Colts that put them up by 8 with 1:14 left in the game. If he deliberately goes down at, say, the five of Indy, the game would have ended with the Bills running out the clock. Instead, the colts got it back, marched 80 yards down the field in the final minute plus, scored, missed the 2-pt conversion, recovered the onside kick, and then failed to score. Bills win, 37-35. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199709210buf.htm. All of that could have been avoided if he had simply taken a knee near the goal line. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/1997/sep/22/bills-pull-another-from-fire/

18 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

There were actually people pissed off here because he didn't down it.  Calling him selfish.

It was less about being selfish then about escaping an unexpectedly tough game with no more injuries. Injury minimization is huge in a league plagued by injuries. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/28/2020 at 9:41 AM, dave mcbride said:

The play that sticks with me was Antowain smith’s long td run in 1997 vs the Colts that put them up by 8 with 1:14 left in the game. If he deliberately goes down at, say, the five of Indy, the game would have ended with the Bills running out the clock. Instead, the colts got it back, marched 80 yards down the field in the final minute plus, scored, missed the 2-pt conversion, recovered the onside kick, and then failed to score. Bills win, 37-35. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199709210buf.htm. All of that could have been avoided if he had simply taken a knee near the goal line. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/1997/sep/22/bills-pull-another-from-fire/

It was less about being selfish then about escaping an unexpectedly tough game with no more injuries. Injury minimization is huge in a league plagued by injuries. 

Excellent example.

There was a game a few years ago where a Phil Eagle didnt score but downed the ball to guarantee a win.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:47 AM, njbuff said:

And it's amazing as this TD has been the only non-offensive TD for the Bills in the last two years.

That's crazy.

Hopefully they have a bunch of non-offensive TD's in them in 2020, which will make things easier and help heighten the team's overall record.

Great point.  They are due; nature loves an average.

Edited by eball

On 3/27/2020 at 3:48 PM, fergie's ire said:

As I recall, the Tasker play was an odd one and not an onside kick....at least not intended to be.  It was a squib kick that Tasker picked off from the front line of blockers and ran back.  So, it went about as far as an onside kick, but wasn't.

That was in the 93 divisional playoff against the Raiders. The temperature for that game with the windchill was something like -25. Tasker actually just missed a TD on that play. He got knocked out of bounds inside the 5. Kenneth Davis scored the TD a play or two later.