Drafting a QB

Bakin

I see the backup QB situation this way.

Newton, Winston and Dalton (if available) all would want to still be a starter but at least would want a Bridge QB position.

They might turn into backups in the future but now they would be too expensive and not a proper fit for the role.

So it seems there are these choices:

1.  Stay with what they got.  Allen, Barkley and Webb.  I'm not a Barkley hater but his role may be over as I feel the training wheels

will be off of Josh's bike this year.  How much advice can Barkley give him going forward?  Maybe Beane thinks Webb could grow

into the backup role.  It seems to me they can do better than what they got.

2.  Draft a QB.  If so, would it be a mid-rounder or a late-rounder?  It sounds like some of the informed college posters are saying there

is not much available in the 2nd tier of QBs this year.  If true that's a shame because I think this year the timing would be right.

Josh in his 3rd year and with no "big needs" a 4th rounder seems sensible.  Of course that guy will not check off all the boxes but

after all it is a long term backup that you are looking for.

3.  Free Agency/Trade.  Trades are always a wildcard so I'm not sure who is available but it is a possibility.  The remaining FAs other

than Newton and Winston are poor choices.  There is a chance that after the draft/final cuts that a decent backup shakes loose.

I guess we will find out what Beane and McDermott think next month but it sure would be nice to know that if needed they have the

best QB available to fill in.

14 hours ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

All we need is a 2nd string RB and a 1st string QB and the Lombardi is ours. Hate all you want but Josh is not a good QB. Not championship QB, anyway. Decision making is off the charts ---> bad, at times.

Dude.  Is your name supposed to rhyme, or something?

• Sad 1

I appreciate the thread OP, but I wouldn’t do a QB this year when it’s almost assured whether anyone on the board or not will probably use if there is yearly progression a full five years with the extension to Allen to see if he is the guy.  I’d rather bundle picks to get some studs, and end up with maybe 5 picks tops.  Move up for a WR/EDGE/RB.  I’m sure two other BPA, but I’d be so happy with studs at those three positions with actually WR and RB as top priorities, but we can can get a solid RB at a later third day pick.

Keep adding weapons, and if we get another cheap Edge guy, for the next four years, awesome.  I’d be surprised if we take any other top FA if there are any left, and rather save the $ for the upcoming contracts after one more year of cheap labor.

17 hours ago, Bakin said:

Chill out already. 
I love me some Josh. He is my boy. 

But who would you look to add as a 3rd stringer / someone to compete with Barkley?

I'd like to see Matt Moore added to our QB mix as think he could compete/beat Barkley for QB2. If talking replacing Webb or be QB3 I would say drafting a guy like Bryce Perkins in Round 6 or 7 be an option or adding some UDFA. 

1 hour ago, buffalostu2 said:

Is picking a QB a good idea with a more than likely shortened offseason?  No time to pick up the offense and no time to see him on the field.

My thought process is do it now (if a decent guy is available) because it takes a while for a rookie to get to a useful point

no matter what the circumstances.  Barkley's contract is up this year and I don't see wanting to re-sign him.

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I appreciate the thread OP, but I wouldn’t do a QB this year when it’s almost assured whether anyone on the board or not will probably use if there is yearly progression a full five years with the extension to Allen to see if he is the guy.  I’d rather bundle picks to get some studs, and end up with maybe 5 picks tops.  Move up for a WR/EDGE/RB.  I’m sure two other BPA, but I’d be so happy with studs at those three positions with actually WR and RB as top priorities, but we can can get a solid RB at a later third day pick.

Keep adding weapons, and if we get another cheap Edge guy, for the next four years, awesome.  I’d be surprised if we take any other top FA if there are any left, and rather save the $ for the upcoming contracts after one more year of cheap labor.

I had not seen the earlier threads about drafting a QB. I was thinking more about obtaining an experienced backup. I trust Beane to make a good decision, but I can't say I was impressed with Barkley's (admittedly limited) play last season and worry that if Josh goes down a great opportunity to win the division and maybe make some noise in the playoffs could be wasted.

I'm not interested in them getting Cam Newton--seems silly to me; he's not going to want to be a backup, for one thing.  

Edited by Dr. K

10 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I think Dalton can work if hes a team player and takes a pay cut 

CIN would have to release him first and I see no reason they would want to do this.

If CIN cuts Dalton they have nobody on the roster to give Burrow and help at all.

With a very good chance of a very short camp Burrow would be at a huge disadvantage.

CIN pays Dalton his 17 million this year to bridge IMO.

Imo, the Bills will definitely need to draft a QB this year, most likely between rounds 4-7...

They need a guy to, not only compete with Barkley, but take over as the full time backup when Barkley’s contract is up after the 2020 season...

You would think a smart team would want a guy to be acclimated to the league and the offense before he is relied upon...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/27/2020 at 2:04 PM, The Jokeman said:

I'd like to see Matt Moore added to our QB mix as think he could compete/beat Barkley for QB2. If talking replacing Webb or be QB3 I would say drafting a guy like Bryce Perkins in Round 6 or 7 be an option or adding some UDFA. 

I like Matt Moore, last i read about him the giants were talking to him. Don’t know if he’s still a free agent or not

I like Cole Mcdonald from Hawaii in the late rounds as a guy who could eventually be a #2. I like his arm and athleticism, has a weird release, but I’m not sure if its a major problem, its just weird. And he's one of the guys out in California training with Josh Allen, so there would be a relationship there. I believe the Montez kid is as well. 

On 3/28/2020 at 4:17 PM, ColoradoBills said:

CIN would have to release him first and I see no reason they would want to do this.

If CIN cuts Dalton they have nobody on the roster to give Burrow and help at all.

With a very good chance of a very short camp Burrow would be at a huge disadvantage.

CIN pays Dalton his 17 million this year to bridge IMO.

I don't think Dalton is staying there as a backup and I think Burrow is starting week 1. I'd be shocked if Dalton is on the Bengals week 1 roster. 

On 3/27/2020 at 11:10 AM, bigK14094 said:

Winston doesn't seem like he would bring collabration to the QB room, so , I say pass.  (he would compete to start, not assist JA)  Barkley is a better #2 by far.

I'm not advocating to pick up Winston, but all indications are he is a good locker room guy and knows the qb position well. 

I do have a question though. Why is competition good at other positions, but not at QB? Allen is in yr 3, not a rookie. Competition should do him good. The question isn't about Winston, per say. Just wondering why you would emphasize Winston would come in to compete and make it sound like a bad thing.

If Eason makes it to the 3rd or 4th rd I think you consider it.  Jalen Hurts in a slash role I would like alot as well.  Developmental as a qb.  Work him into a Tasym Hill type package as a Wr, Rb, Qb.  Allen is athletic to run any play from the qb position, but I feel hes at a place in his career to begin limiting his hits.

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Dalton is staying there as a backup and I think Burrow is starting week 1. I'd be shocked if Dalton is on the Bengals week 1 roster. 

I would tend to believe that way too until this corona virus.

If it's a truncated summer training season I see them keeping him as insurance.

It will be fun to see how it pans out.