Drafting a QB

Bakin

6 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Chill out already. 
I love me some Josh. He is my boy. 

But who would you look to add as a 3rd stringer / someone to compete with Barkley?

Not a bad idea at all. Never know what ya can find in the late rounds and Barkley isn’t exactly a world beater backup QB

I love JA and think he’s the franchise QB, but I would look to take Anthony Gordon with our 3rd or 4th rounder (if he makes it that far) given how few holes we have now. The dude is a baller and would be a great backup to Josh. Plus I want to make sure he doesn’t go to NE.

• Like (+1) 3

I started the same thread a few days ago. Allen has always been my QB.  There are only a handful of needs from the draft now - Edge, OLB, OT, RB, P.   And all of those spots are for depth.  

I would favor a veteran like Winston, Dalton, or Newton. They have enough talent to compete for the AFC Championship this year.  They only do that with better QB play.  I think Allen will step up.  But why take the chance.  Find a QB that can win if Allen gets hurt or falters.  They have the cap for a one year deal.  If they don't get one of those three (which I think there is almost zero chance they will) I would still draft a QB in the mid rounds.  

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

All we need is a 2nd string RB and a 1st string QB and the Lombardi is ours. Hate all you want but Josh is not a good QB. Not championship QB, anyway. Decision making is off the charts ---> bad, at times.

So was Brett Favre's but he won a Superbowl and two MVP's.  I'm still unsure about Allen after two years but any serious person can't at this time say he doesn't have the potential to be a top 10 starter in this league.  That being said, SIGN A DAMN QUALITY BACKUP!!!  This team's too good.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I started the same thread a few days ago. Allen has always been my QB.  There are only a handful of needs from the draft now - Edge, OLB, OT, RB, P.   And all of those spots are for depth.  

I would favor a veteran like Winston, Dalton, or Newton. They have enough talent to compete for the AFC Championship this year.  They only do that with better QB play.  I think Allen will step up.  But why take the chance.  Find a QB that can win if Allen gets hurt or falters.  They have the cap for a one year deal.  If they don't get one of those three (which I think there is almost zero chance they will) I would still draft a QB in the mid rounds.  

Andy Dalton hands down, plus all the the money we donated to his charity should give us a leg up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I would probably pass on drafting a QB this year. Someone like James Morgan or Nate Stanley might be worth considering at the end of the draft if they’re available but overall I don’t really like the developmental prospects this year. 

11 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I would probably pass on drafting a QB this year. Someone like James Morgan or Nate Stanley might be worth considering at the end of the draft if they’re available but overall I don’t really like the developmental prospects this year. 

Yea I largely agree with this. I would take a flier on Morgan but not before the 6th. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

All we need is a 2nd string RB and a 1st string QB and the Lombardi is ours. Hate all you want but Josh is not a good QB. Not championship QB, anyway. Decision making is off the charts ---> bad, at times.

We won an AFL Championship with Jack Kemp at QB.  You don't need Tom Brady to win big games.  Allen seems to have the same thing that made Kemp a winner: Leadership.  

And sophomore QBs aren't yet fully made.  Josh can get better and hopefully will.   Jim Plunkett, for example, in his sophomore year with the Patsies made really bad decisions too - far worse than Josh.  That season he threw 25 picks versus 8 TDs!   People questioned whether or not he was good enough to start in the NFL.  Later in his career, though, Plunkett won two Super Bowl with the Raiders and was named a Super Bowl MVP.   

I think it's far too early to give up on Josh.  There was clear progression from Year 1 to Year 2.  Let's see what Year 3 brings before we start looking for another QB.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I would add safety to your list.  Marlowe is meh.  

13 hours ago, Bakin said:

Chill out already. 

But who would you look to add as a 3rd stringer / someone to compete with Barkley?

I would take Hurts if available in 3rd to be honest 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Bakin said:

Chill out already. 

I’m not sure josh is ready to be the vet QB in the room just yet. 

but I’m sure they bring in another young arm somehow for camp. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood