Backup QB?

Dr. K

Matt Barkley is a national treasure and an inspiration to us all.  He has earned over $7,000,000 in his career while giving every American reason to believe they they too can be an NFL quarterback regardless of their complete lack of ability to do so with any degree of competency.  Nathan Peterman could only last 2 years throwing 3 TDs and 12 INT’s, but Barkley has not only been in the league since 2013, he’s left and come back TWICE despite 10 TDs and 21 INTs (and 10 fumbles for good measure).

The guy is legitimately terrible and has no business being on an NFL roster.  The Bills are in ‘win now’ mode, and Allen has missed games pretty much every season he’s played organized football, so a competent backup QB who can give you a shot at winning is a must.  This team is good enough to win ten or eleven games and the AFCE, but they aren’t good enough to do that with Barkley under center for 3-4 games.

Those worried about Josh’s psyche are off base.  If he’s so mentally fragile that he can’t perform with Cam Newton or Joe freaking Flacco standing on his own sideline, then how’s he supposed to look across the field in the postseason and see Pat Mahomes standing on the other sideline and not crap his pants?  Allen’s had two seasons of being treated with kid gloves while McBeane has worked to build a roster around him.  It’s time for him to go out there and win games.  Franchise QBs entering their prime aren’t intimidated by Andy Dalton looking over their shoulders.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

There is a reason why Barkley was still available when the Bills picked him up, what was it, 10 or so days before he had to start a game. Everyone likes him, gets along great with Josh, he had ONE great game against the Jets, but why is this the one spot people keep fighting for to not improve? I simply cannot for the life of me wrap my head around why so many people would rather have Barkley as the back up over Cam or Flacco if those guys were willing to come here and be the back up. Or if not those two, you mean to tell me that there is not one other guy some of you would like to have here to play the most important position on the field other than Matt Barkley in the event that Allen get hurt? Again, I think he a good guy, but you are completely 1,000% lying to yourself if you feel that position can’t be upgraded

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Was OK with Barkley till last season.  Don't know what happened to him but we do need a reliable backup QB.  Cam, despite where he comes from,  is not the answer for the BILLS.

The only full game he played was the last one with the 2nd teamers. he also played in the NE game & threw an int. The year before he played like an all pro on the road in his only playing time. He's obviously not an all pro but seems to be a good backup. I do agree that we should be grooming a young QB on the practice squad - just in case of the "what ifs". What if Josh has a serious debilitating injury. What if he eventually decides that he would rather play closer to his family in Cali. What if he regresses. All of the above is not likely but neither was the corona virus. Just saying.

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Was OK with Barkley till last season.  Don't know what happened to him but we do need a reliable backup QB.  Cam, despite where he comes from,  is not the answer for the BILLS.

What do you mean you don’t know what happened to him? He’s always sucked.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, papazoid said:

i say no....to me barkley is a #3

i value the backup qb more than most. i think it's the 10th most important position on the team.

the way they addressing so many needs in free agency....makes me think a QB is possible in the 2nd or 3rd round.

especially if they add a RB before the draft

10th? Like you've actly made a list? Well, i guess we all have some extra time now lol

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I would have liked to see them bring in competition for Barkley and maybe they still will. 

I am not talking about a guy who clearly beats him out like a Winston or Mariota type but more another guy who has been a #2 in the league who you let compete for that backup job and may the best guy win. 

I do think Barkley's relationship with Allen (they are tight) is helping him remain as the undisputed #2 as much as if not more than his play. 

On 3/27/2020 at 4:50 PM, Hampton Josh fan said:

Barkley is not the guy for a team with Super bowl aspirations. Please get a vet. QB who had some success like a Mariota or a Bridgewater. The targets for me would be Dalton or Matt  Moore,  with old buddy Fitzpatrick as an alternative better than Barkley..

Neither is #17

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

No doubt, but could they take a good Biils offense and win a game or two if JA gets his bell wrung like last season. 

That’s pretty sick of you to want Josh to get hurt. He had 1 bad game against the pats a game had he not gotten hurt we probably would’ve won. And he played very well the rest of the season. You Josh Allen Haters never cease to amaze me. 

On 3/27/2020 at 4:50 PM, Hampton Josh fan said:

Barkley is not the guy for a team with Super bowl aspirations. Please get a vet. QB who had some success like a Mariota or a Bridgewater. The targets for me would be Dalton or Matt  Moore,  with old buddy Fitzpatrick as an alternative better than Barkley..

First off we are not getting Dalton especially when he’s being paid 17 million for 1 year left remaining on his contract. Mariota is mediocre at best who’s had very little success as an NFL starter, Miami is not letting go of Fitzpatrick. Bridgewater got WAY overpayed in Carolina and he’s average at best. Moore is the only one I would consider but he’s talking with the Giants. 

I don't think the Bills will consider a QB with their 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks, but I do happen to think whoever drafts Jake Fromm is going to get a starting QB that will have a great NFL career.

I've paid attention to Fromm, since he was highlighted on a QB1 show on youtube during his senior year in high school. The dude is a natural born leader, and I think he is going to find a lot of success.  Hes probably going to be picked somewhere in the 2nd round, maybe early 3rd, so the Bills would likely have to use pick #54 to get him.

The reason I think he fits here is it wouldn't be viewed as a threat to Josh Allen this season (which the Bill's brass seems to care about for some odd reason), but it's a great hedge if things dont progress for Josh this season.  If Josh shows well this season, you have a high end backup in Fromm with starting upside (and trade value if you wanted to go that route.)

One thing I will note:

The Bills have signed a lot of bodies again this offseason and at least on paper have very few glaring holes that "MUST" be filled.  I still think RB, DE, OL and to a lesser extent CB and WR need an influx of talent.......but the Bills have put themselves in a position where they could take a Jake Fromm with #54.  I mean QB is far and away the most important position, so why wouldn't you want to invest in that position.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

That’s pretty sick of you to want Josh to get hurt. He had 1 bad game against the pats a game had he not gotten hurt we probably would’ve won. And he played very well the rest of the season. You Josh Allen Haters never cease to amaze me. 

First off we are not getting Dalton especially when he’s being paid 17 million for 1 year left remaining on his contract. Mariota is mediocre at best who’s had very little success as an NFL starter, Miami is not letting go of Fitzpatrick. Bridgewater got WAY overpayed in Carolina and he’s average at best. Moore is the only one I would consider but he’s talking with the Giants. 

Your critical analysis is appreciated, but the question is could anyone available stopgap us for a game or two. This offense will be customized to play well enough to allow the defense to be the difference. The optimum scenario is to get a guy who has won games before, but these journeyman are backups for a reason. If you have a vet backup in mind without significant warts, fire away.