Backup QB?

Dr. K

Are the Bills set at backup QB? Seems to me if Allen goes down the team could be in trouble. Barkley had that great game two years ago against the Jets, but I'm not confident that he can do the job for any length of time if he has to.

But I suppose most every team in the league has questions at backup QB.

Edited by Dr. K

i say no....to me barkley is a #3

i value the backup qb more than most. i think it's the 10th most important position on the team.

the way they addressing so many needs in free agency....makes me think a QB is possible in the 2nd or 3rd round.

especially if they add a RB before the draft

I personally like Barkley, I think he fits well in the QB room and understands his role. I think he has been a huge help to JA. I am hugely against signing a guy like cam who thinks he should be a starter. This is Josh's team and I don't really want to mess with the synergy in the QB room right now.

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, BruceVilanch said:

I personally like Barkley, I think he fits well in the QB room and understands his role. I think he has been a huge help to JA. I am hugely against signing a guy like cam who thinks he should be a starter. This is Josh's team and I don't really want to mess with the synergy in the QB room right now.

I don't hate Barkley and unlike many, think he is a serviceable backup QB who knows his role and is good in the QB room. With that said, I'm onboard for an upgrade, if one is available. Case Keenum would have been a nice upgrade, IMO. 

Also, I think Allen is established enough with the FO and fanbase, we shouldn't be concerned about the threat of the backup taking his job. I really don't think Josh will let that happen. At least not if he is the franchise QB I believe he will be.

Also, a young prospect with growth potential is something every team should have on their roster/PS.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I don't hate Barkley and unlike many, think he is a serviceable backup QB who knows his role and is good in the QB room. With that said, I'm onboard for an upgrade, if one is available. Case Keenum would have been a nice upgrade, IMO. 

Also, I think Allen is established enough with the FO and fanbase, we shouldn't be concerned about the threat of the backup taking his job. I really don't think Josh will let that happen. At least not if he is the franchise QB I believe he will be.

Also, a young prospect with growth potential is something every team should have on their roster/PS.

Very well crafted and thought out response, thank you!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

Are the Bills set at backup QB? Seems to me if Allen goes down the team could be in trouble. Barkley had that great game two years ago against the Jets, but I'm not confident that he can do the job for any length of time if he has to.

But I suppose most every team in the league has questions at backup QB.

Only when they have to actually play...

• Haha (+1) 1

I like Barkley and he's an average QB at best.  Although I may be ripped here, I'd like to see the Bills give Cam Newton a try.  I think a 1 year deal on a reasonable contract would be a smart investment and works for both Cam & the Bills. 

For the Bills: With Josh being a QB that runs a fair amount, the chance of injury is higher than many.  Cam gives you a QB with similar skills who can run the same offense.  He also provides a veteran presence in the QB room and might take a 10 million dollar 1 year deal.

For Cam: The big question for him is health.  Taking a back-up job for a year allows him to get healthier and on a 1 year deal provides him the chance to move somewhere as a starter.  

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

I like Barkley and he's an average QB at best.  Although I may be ripped here, I'd like to see the Bills give Cam Newton a try.  I think a 1 year deal on a reasonable contract would be a smart investment and works for both Cam & the Bills. 

For the Bills: With Josh being a QB that runs a fair amount, the chance of injury is higher than many.  Cam gives you a QB with similar skills who can run the same offense.  He also provides a veteran presence in the QB room and might take a 10 million dollar 1 year deal.

For Cam: The big question for him is health.  Taking a back-up job for a year allows him to get healthier and on a 1 year deal provides him the chance to move somewhere as a starter.  

your logic is sound, but I don't think Cam (or his agent) would accept a backup job anywhere.

I still like Kyle Sloter to replace Webb and maybe develop into a #2. But I like Barkley and I agree that he’s been really good for Josh in the QB room. I thought we’d try to grab Kyle Allen, but now he is in a situation where he has a chance to start. Outside of that, maybe a guy like Trevor Siemian, who spent a year with Diggs could help speed the Josh Allen and Diggs connection. But I still think that Barkley is good enough for now. 

40 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

your logic is sound, but I don't think Cam (or his agent) would accept a backup job anywhere.

I agree it might be hard to accept, but I don't see any teams who would be looking to bring him in as a starter, unless the starter gets hurt.  The other advantage for Cam if he signed with the Bills is he'll be going to a team with a legit shot at the Super Bowl.  If any team looks at him as a starter, I doubt they are any better than an 8-8 team.