RB is a really GLARING need, right?

Since you guys are determined to bump this fossil, here's some fuel:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/07/maurice-jones-drew-buffalo-bills-devin-singletary-zack-moss/

Maurice Jones-Drew, the former running back turned analyst for NFL Media, is not very high on the Buffalo Bills’ backfield.

MJD ranked each starting backfield head-to-head and… at least the Bills don’t have the worst in the AFC East? Still, it’s pretty bad.

Devin Singletary was named Buffalo’s “starter” for the list, but the breakdown attributes both Singletary and Zack Moss. The only backfield Buffalo’s duo ranks better than is the one sported by the Miami Dolphins. The Bills are No. 31 overall. 

Ouch:

The Bills have had a real problem with their run game and they need a reliable player at the position. Devin Singletary and Zack Moss have each had their moments but neither player has shown any consistency. Right now, Josh Allen is the best rusher on the team. That really bothers me as a former running back. The Bills’ backfield really needs to step it up, and Singletary has the most experience. The time is now.

I said elsewhere and will say here. 

I agree, Josh Allen is probably the most talented rusher on the team. 

That's probably true of a number of other teams: Ravens (Lamar Jackson), Cardinals (Kyler Murray), New England (Cam Newton), Texans (Deshaun Watson), Seattle (Russ Wilson).  Even the Giants! (Daniel Jones) - which, Damn! Daniel -  was NOT supposed to be that way!

Does it bother Maurice Jones-Drew for these other teams as well?

If not, why not?

Josh Allen is becoming pretty widely acknowledged as having pretty high athletic talent.  He apparently trains off-season with the same running coach who trains Deshaun Watson.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/07/maurice-jones-drew-buffalo-bills-devin-singletary-zack-moss/

That's probably true of a number of other teams: Ravens (Lamar Jackson), Cardinals (Kyler Murray), New England (Cam Newton), Texans (Deshaun Watson), Seattle (Russ Wilson).  Even the Giants! (Daniel Jones) - which, Damn! Daniel -  was NOT supposed to be that way!

If not, why not?

Josh Allen is becoming pretty widely acknowledged as having pretty high athletic talent.  He apparently trains off-season with the same running coach who trains Deshaun Watson.

Don't think Cam Newton is the best rusher on the Patriots

I think Damian Harris has taken the nod

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If not, why not?

Maybe MoJo values the other teams' supporting rushers more? More production and more experience out of the backfield on most those other teams.
And he might be wary of replicable production out of Zack Moss due to his lingering injury and recovery time line.

47 minutes ago, Reader said:

Considering the Bills signed Matt Breida on the 25th of March, something tells me you could find the answer in this thread, already.

As for Breida, I am really excited to see what he brings too, but it does discourage me that he got beat out by Gaskins and Ahmed on the Dolphins last year.
It's not like those guys had incredible seasons either last year at 584 yrds and 319 yrds respectfully, with Breida stomping for just 254 yards.

I do like Breida's production in SF tho.

3 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

Maybe MoJo values the other teams' supporting rushers more? More production and more experience out of the backfield on most those other teams.
And he might be wary of replicable production out of Zack Moss due to his lingering injury and recovery time line.

As for Breida, I am really excited to see what he brings too, but it does discourage me that he got beat out by Gaskins and Ahmed on the Dolphins last year.
It's not like those guys had incredible seasons either last year at 584 yrds and 319 yrds respectfully, with Breida stomping for just 254 yards.

I don’t think Brita was a good fit in Miami  , 

I think he’ll be better in zone blocking if that is what will run again this year .

4 hours ago, The_Ripster said:

What exactly is Moss lingering injury?

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

r83n0UX.gif

You know it’s grave robber time when these threads come back up in July each year.

The article Hap brings up doesn’t even reference Breida.  MJD was a solid RB, but always has strong opinions.  I’m not crazy about him, but he is making an obvious point.  Our running game needs to improve, but as several have stated it’s more about the line than the backs.  Our backs are average.  I’m hopeful Breida will be used well.  He had relative success in 18 and 19 in SF.

Not really, a mild need at present, if the coaches scheme to the O lines and RBs strength we will have a running game that melds into our pass 80% of the time offense, so no to the OP, you’re over blowing it a bunch.  

that and there has been endless banter about our supposed gigantic RB problem that is in reality a run blocking problem. 

Go Bills!!!

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Don't think Cam Newton is the best rusher on the Patriots

I think Damian Harris has taken the nod

In terms of ypa certainly, 100 yds more on same # attempts.  I didn't watch enough Pats*** to say this year, but certainly through a lot of Cam's career even when another player had more yards and more attempts, it would have been argued that Cam was more dangerous with the ball in his hand.  But fair point.

10 hours ago, The_Ripster said:

I think there are some backs who somehow can't fit in Chan Gailey's offense, and he turns away from them.  Remember how hard it was for Spiller to see the field his first couple years?

Of course, part of that was reportedly struggles with the playbook, and I don't know as Daboll's playbook is any easier for an RB to grasp

10 hours ago, The_Ripster said:

My point is, MJD wasn't just comparing Singletary to other backs in his remarks (which he also did, rating our backfield 31 out of 32 which seems harsh but arguable).  He was saying specifically that it bothered him that the QB, Allen was the best rusher on the team.

Ravens (Lamar Jackson): Gus Edwards just got a new contract and for sure had more production than Singletary, but Lamar Jackson blew his doors off for rushing production by every metric (1.3 more ypa, 22 more ypg etc etc) and no question who is more feared as a rusher  - so if it bothers MJD that the QB is the best rusher on the team in B'lo, does it bother him in Baltimore?

Cardinals (Kyler Murray): Kenyon Drake had more yards and 100 more attempts, and has more experience and production - but Murray blew his doors off 6.2 ypa vs 4.0 ypa.   No question who is the more dynamic run threat IMO, so if it bothers MJD in B'lo, does it bother him in AZ - and if not, why not?

I grant @Buffalo716 point about NE and certainly Jones is not a dynamic run threat with the Giants, but IMO similar arguments in Houston - David Johnson is a good back, but I think most players polled would say with the ball in his hand Watson more of a threat to contain - and Seattle's run game just sucked last year so similar argument for Wilson, even though at this point in his career it's clear that he'd rather pass and is trying to limit his hits.

I personally think those other teams don't bother MJD because he perceives Jackson, Murray, Wilson, Newton (earlier in his career certainly) as elite athletes.  It's no shame to be second fiddle as an RB to a truly elite athletic threat! 

In contrast, I don't think MJD credits Allen as the elite athlete he actually is.

Or put another way, we could have a far better RB in our backfield, and Allen could still be the best rusher on the team.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

(….frantically searching for the 1999 thread on Flutie vs Johnson….)

Was that website in DOS?  😜😇👍🏋️♂️🦬

I think even Chandman was young back then.  He didn’t yell at people on his lawn until Gregg Williams. 😃

Dang Donahue!

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If not, why not?

Daniel Jones is a more talented runner than Saquan?  There's hot takes and then there's this.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Billl said:

Daniel Jones is a more talented runner than Saquan?  There's hot takes and then there's this.

The "best ability is availability".  We're talking about last season here.  How many games did Barkley play in last season?  How many yards did he have?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BarkSa00/gamelog/2020/

Maybe you might want to stow your snark and look into stuff a little before firing off.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The "best ability is availability".  We're talking about last season here.  How many games did Barkley play in last season?  How many yards did he have?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BarkSa00/gamelog/2020/

Maybe you might want to stow your snark and look into stuff a little before firing off.

It was a joke.  No offense meant.