RB is a really GLARING need, right?

On 3/26/2020 at 9:53 PM, Augie said:

It’s probably the most glaring need we have, and fortunately it’s a pretty easy one to fix. I trust our guys to get Motor a good companion. 

This is a match to my thinking.  Glaring as in obvious but easy to fill as in that there are many decent options to meet the need. 

I was making some mashed potatoes of the instant type (free tip throw in some frozen fries to make it better.)  I open the fridge and see there is no more milk.  My kids were set on some potatoes with gravy as part of their lunch.  Milk is a glaring kitchen need but options for getting some are plentiful. 

Many think a first round RB = buying a cow.  A few think that a 2nd round RB = buying a dairy farm.  

Thus, my hope that an elite talent might be there at 54 or a little earlier.  We know Beane likes to target guys they view as elite that are falling.  An elite RB talent in round 2 might be a sensible solution that is bpa and adds another reliable playmaker to the offense for 4 years or more.

I solved the milk problem by adding half a tub of Bison dip and some shredded cheese.   Not ideal but in a pinch it did the job and the kids ate it up per usual.  That is Yeldon, imo.  Ok in a pinch until you can get to Wegman's.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

I like Singletary but when you look up the ratings of NFL RB’s in 2019, the best I see him rated is #20. Maybe other posters know or can find other reports that have him rated higher. “20” is about bottom third of the league. If we are to be a contender, I would like to see our RB rated in the top 10.

Singletary is #22 here:

https://www.thedelite.com/nfl-starting-running-backs-ranked-for-2019-season

===============================================

Singletary is #20 here:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/rb/2019

=================================================

Singletary is #20 here in a composite fantasy list:

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/rb-cheatsheets.php

================================================

Singletary is #30 here: (nlf.com)

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/video/nfl-com-ranks-nfl-s-top-running-backs-of-2019

=================================================

others?

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

This is a match to my thinking.  Glaring as in obvious but easy to fill as in that there are many decent options to meet the need. 

I was making some mashed potatoes of the instant type (free tip throw in some frozen fries to make it better.)  I open the fridge and see there is no more milk.  My kids were set on some potatoes with gravy as part of their lunch.  Milk is a glaring kitchen need but options for getting some are plentiful. 

Many think a first round RB = buying a cow.  A few think that a 2nd round RB = buying a dairy farm.  

Thus, my hope that an elite talent might be there at 54 or a little earlier.  We know Beane likes to target guys they view as elite that are falling.  An elite RB talent in round 2 might be a sensible solution that is bpa and adds another reliable playmaker to the offense for 4 years or more.

I solved the milk problem by adding half a tub of Bison dip and some shredded cheese.   Not ideal but in a pinch it did the job and the kids ate it up per usual.  That is Yeldon, imo.  Ok in a pinch until you can get to Wegman's.

Funny you use this analogy TODAY! I went to the store mainly to stock up for a week of breakfast for me, skim milk and bananas. You have to pay attention.....all the milk on the shel expires TODAY! Apparently it’s not as easy to fill as it used to be!   

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/4/2020 at 9:10 PM, CSBill said:

This, a bigger RB that can run between the tackles, and who can block and catch passes in the passing game. Free agnet or draft, that is he need.

That's the way I've always leaned too. We've got an evasive guy, now get a hammer as a change-of-pace, someone like A.J. Dillon. I do think that the people who would rather get a speed back to pair with Singletary have a point, but me, I'd rather get someone like Dillon.

Now, it seems that Beane thinks that way a bit too, as shown in his pre-draft interview:

"It’s also telling that Beane has expressed confidence in T.J. Yeldon. Skeptics will naturally point to his vote of confidence for LeSean McCoy last year before he was cut, but that was a different situation. Yeldon has no illusion of starting over Singletary and he’s on a modest contract.

“ 'We’re very confident in T.J.. I can remember scouting him, coming out and watching him in his years in Jacksonville. He’s a three-down player. He’s smart. He fit us well. The great thing about T.J., he wasn’t up last year because of the way we had things with special teams,' Beane said. 'He’s a guy that we feel can play at any point. Very good out of the pass game. Was probably more of a threat than Frank out of the backfield, but we just felt Frank was that heavier downhill presence than Devin’s style, and that’s not T.J.’s biggest strength. Very confident T.J. can come in. Devin is our No. 1 as it stands and if something happened to him, T.J. has carried the load in Jacksonville and has proven it, so we look forward to bringing him back for Year Two.'

"So, the Bills appear satisfied with their veteran back, downplaying the need to find another in free agency or early on in the draft. On Day Three of the draft, though, anything goes at running back. By that point, it’s about finding players who can make the team and contribute down the line. If the Bills can find a complementary runner with more of a downhill flair to his game, like Gore, that would be a great addition in the fourth, fifth or sixth round. If he could help on special teams, that would be even better."

https://theathletic.com/1720052/2020/04/02/seven-thoughts-on-the-bills-draft-after-brandon-beanes-press-conference/?source=dailyemail

They wanted a "heavier downhill presence." That's interesting. Not conclusive, of course, but indicative. My guesses that we are looking hard at Dillon have taken a tick upwards in probability, methinks.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/1/2020 at 9:47 PM, DCOrange said:

If we're going to use Football Outsiders' numbers, DVOA probably makes more sense. DYAR will likely prop up 1st rounders because teams that take a RB in the 1st round will feel obligated to use them as more of a bellcow so they'll naturally have more touches and fare better in terms of DYAR. DVOA is focused on the value each RB gives on a per touch basis (also probably more important in our case due to the fact that Singletary didn't become a starter until well into the season).

Singletary ranks 13th in terms of DVOA. It seems possible to me we already have our top 10 guy.

And in terms of DVOA, 4 of the top 10 from last year were drafted in the first 2 rounds. 5 were drafted in the 5th round or later.

This. As they say, DYAR refers to overall value, and Singletary didn't get all that many touches last year, whereas DVOA refers to value per play. Singletary was quite a bit better there, and that was as a rookie.

And you simply don't need a great RB to be a terrific team. KC's best RB last year in DYAR was 29th (McCoy) and at DVOA was 28th (again, McCoy). Damien Williams was a couple of spots behind. Last year's champ, NE, had Sony Michel at #26 as their top-ranked guy at DVOA and #24 at DYAR.

In 2017, the champion Eagles best was Ajayi at #27 and #28, putting up 408 yards for Philly in eight games, and that was the year he played on two teams. Philly's #2 guy was Blount at #37 and #36.

You simply don't need a great RB, or even a very good one. Singletary, Yeldon and either a late FA (remember, Beane brought in Yeldon himself on April 22nd, three days before the draft in 2018) or mid-rounder in a great draft for mid-round RBs.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This. As they say, DYAR refers to overall value, and Singletary didn't get all that many touches last year, whereas DVOA refers to value per play. Singletary was quite a bit better there, and that was as a rookie.

And you simply don't need a great RB to be a terrific team. KC's best RB last year in DYAR was 29th (McCoy) and at DVOA was 28th (again, McCoy). Damien Williams was a couple of spots behind. Last year's champ, NE, had Sony Michel at #26 as their top-ranked guy at DVOA and #24 at DYAR.

In 2017, the champion Eagles best was Ajayi at #27 and #28, putting up 408 yards for Philly in eight games, and that was the year he played on two teams. Philly's #2 guy was Blount at #37 and #36.

You simply don't need a great RB, or even a very good one. Singletary, Yeldon and either a late FA (remember, Beane brought in Yeldon himself on April 22nd, three days before the draft in 2018) or mid-rounder in a great draft for mid-round RBs.

Well, a guy who is a better runner improves our team.  Having another weapon (pass receiving RB) is always a good idea. 

I am curious what Christian Wade is looking like behind the scenes.  The guy clearly has the athleticism to be a great player, has he refined himself enough to be a factor this year?  Is he part of the plans?  I think we will see the answer by round 4 if no RB has been taken.

On 4/1/2020 at 12:59 PM, maryland-bills-fan said:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/4/1/21198814/opinion-making-adjustments-to-the-running-backs-dont-matter-philosophy

If anybody can explain this to me, please post it or send a PM.  I don't know if I have had too much or too little to drink.

I think they established that running game matters, but not necessarily the back.  They also kind of made note of the fact that a good offensive line and QB can affect the position greatly.  There wasn't like a clear - this is the way to get running backs though.  "Running backs matter, but as we recognize they matter less than other positions, let’s not go overboard."

On 4/1/2020 at 12:59 PM, maryland-bills-fan said:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/4/1/21198814/opinion-making-adjustments-to-the-running-backs-dont-matter-philosophy

If anybody can explain this to me, please post it or send a PM.  I don't know if I have had too much or too little to drink.

I had listened to the podcast version of this but it mirrors pretty closely this article.  A big miss is the fact that an elite RB can add much to an offense as a pass catcher. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I had listened to the podcast version of this but it mirrors pretty closely this article.  A big miss is the fact that an elite RB can add much to an offense as a pass catcher. 

Here is an interesting article explaining the basic running back routes.  http://www.spreadoffense.com/ssp/rb_spread_threat  TT was deadly with the "wheel" and  the "hole".  That would give Allen a safety net on blitzes.  The "rice" (I never heard it called that) with a drag by a WR, would be deadly with a good pass catching and speedier RB.   A speedy RB who could flex out as a WR would also give the defense fits and could lead to big mismatches.  There is also this thing called "a screen pass", which is illegal for the Bills.  There is a whole world that we have been missing on offense.

Our receiving stats for last year:                               https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=O&cat=T

catches          yards         yard per game

Brown                      72                 1060           70.7

Beasley                   67                   778             51.9

Knox                        28                   338             25.9

Yeldon                     13                   124            20.7

Sweeney                   8                   114             19

McKenzie                 27                 254             16.9

Singletary                29                  194             16.2

Gore                        13                    100            6.2

(D Williams              12                  166             41.5 )

The backup running back and each of two tight ends have a better yards/game than our present RB.  Remember that in receiving in 2019 for RB's he is ranked #44.

Sorry for any misspellings.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

The backup running back and each of two tight ends have a better yards/game than our present RB.  Remember that in receiving in 2019 for RB's he is ranked #44.

Remember that it was his ***** rookie season?

They were still figuring out what he could do, and working him into the lineup.

(Now I remember, you're the guy that thinks all these guys in the draft will be better than Singletary....)

Edited by 32ABBA

15 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

Remember that it was his ***** rookie season?

They were still figuring out what he could do, and working him into the lineup.

(Now I remember, you're the guy that thinks all these guys in the draft will be better than Singletary....)

Silly.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

Would you say this concern has been adequately addressed?

Is the RB position one of this teams strengths or weaknesses?

You’ve awakened the sleeping giant

• Haha (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

Would you say this concern has been adequately addressed?

Is the RB position one of this teams strengths or weaknesses?

Considering the Bills signed Matt Breida on the 25th of March, something tells me you could find the answer in this thread, already.