RB is a really GLARING need, right?

27 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Pick #54 is very important to the offseason.  I think you need to get a player that can be a solid starter at some point - that would mean Edge/OLB, or OT, or CB would be in play.  

Drafting a RB or a WR is basically drafting a rotational player for now.  We could really use another RB to compliment Singletary or another WR threat to eventually challenge for the #2.  

I’m glad Beane is handling this and not me.  

Question is whether Julian Okwara, Jonathan Greenard, Bradee Anae or some other DE is a good enough prospect to overlook a very good prospect at other positions Like RB, WR or CB.  

Taking an “OK” DE prospect doesn’t help that much, but if you think you are getting a good long-term starting DE that can get you 6-8 sacks a year then by all means do it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

You are missing the fact that good teams now use two running backs and do not have two. We can upgrade our RB in this draft.  Beane is smarter than me or you. Notice that he has brought in veterans at EDGE, OT, and CB but not an old worn out RB   He has in the last three drafts, traded up to get quality at QB, MLB, OT and TE.  All the stars line up. He is going to find a way to get a top 5 RB, and my only wonder is which one he thinks is the best.

I am not missing the fact that teams use two running backs.  

My point is whether you pick one at 54 or wait another round.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I agree with you that you can get a back in the third or even fourth round and still come up with a contributing player. This team is set with few glaring needs. So unless there is an elite back available with the second pick then just stick with your board and get a good player regardless of position. This front office has put this franchise in a good position entering into the draft with plenty of flexibility heading into this draft. What is very encouraging is that this staff has done very well getting good players in the middle rounds. So there is no need to force things when working this draft. Another advantage with having most positions covered is that the organization can trade some picks to move up in a round because not all of our picks will have a reasonable chance to make the roster. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Your paragraph 1 and 4 seem contradictory w.r.t RB vs DE. We have a good RB in Singletary and if an equivalently rated player who is a DE were to be available, we undoubtedly should pick the latter. The value to the team would be much higher via pash rushing flexibility compared to a lower round RB who would compete with Singletary for touches. I would prefer drafting said DE and then picking a complementary back to Singletary. To your point about WR, if the BPA is a WR at #54, I would go for him as the impact to the team is higher than a RB. Depending on the skill set, Beasley can be trade bait in this scenario. 

Bruce Smith at #54 !!!

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Why buy a fairlane when you can get a corvette?

On 3/26/2020 at 9:53 PM, Rc2catch said:

You have to remember that it’s not a need in the big scheme of things. Backs are found all over. The obvious route is we are probably drafting one. But even after all that is said and done there are going to be plenty of veteran guys just sitting around hoping the phone will ring. There are gonna be tons of options around. Everyday that passes the contracts get lower and lower and lower. Sign a vet for preseason and you can snag them for like a million bucks. It’s possibly the easiest position to fill in the league. Beane will 100% add some talent he’s just bargain shopping and scouting the draft. 

I used to agree with you but look at what Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook and Jacobs for the Raiders did for their teams this year, they got them wins, helped them more than the average RB's did around the league.  

If we are making a run now we need to look to guys that can play as rookies.  Not many spots available but RB2 and edge from what I see.

Who knows maybe Wade is the answer, he's a freak athlete.

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Addison, though older, is a more productive pass rusher than Lawson. As far as the EDGE position in the draft, there is only one really sure thing but there some very good prospects and I could see a Jonathan Greenard for example on this team and being rotated in 

Yeah. I'm still concerned about the pass rush. I've always been a guy who believes that getting in the QB's mug early and often is the single most important aspect of a defense. That 2014 D comes to mind when I think of "ideal."

Beane has a collection of solid players on the DL, so I'm hoping the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. 

I think some of us got lulled into a false sense of security in 2019 based on the fact that we had an extremely easy schedule as it pertains to opposing QB's.

Haven't dug into the DE prospects this season because my focus has been elsewhere, but I'll take a look at this Greenwald fella.

If there's a stud RB in the 2nd who's clearly the BPA, OK. So be it. I like Devin, but the offense is going to need a guy (or two) with a different skill set because he's not a "complete" back. 

Just so much more "value" at edge if we're talking about a 2nd RD pick, but you play the board according to how it shakes out I suppose.

I will be disappointed if they don't add an edge in the first 4 rounds. Gotta take a shot there because it remains a need.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. I'm still concerned about the pass rush. I've always been a guy who believes that getting in the QB's mug early and often is the single most important aspect of a defense. That 2014 D comes to mind when I think of "ideal."

Beane has a collection of solid players on the DL, so I'm hoping the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. 

I think some of us got lulled into a false sense of security in 2019 based on the fact that we had an extremely easy schedule as it pertains to opposing QB's.

Haven't dug into the DE prospects this season because my focus has been elsewhere, but I'll take a look at this Greenwald fella.

If there's a stud RB in the 2nd who's clearly the BPA, OK. So be it. I like Devin, but the offense is going to need a guy (or two) with a different skill set because he's not a "complete" back. 

Just so much more "value" at edge if we're talking about a 2nd RD pick, but you play the board according to how it shakes out I suppose.

I will be disappointed if they don't add an edge in the first 4 rounds. Gotta take a shot there because it remains a need.

Ed Oliver and Jefferson have 10 ten pass rush win rates

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Ed Oliver and Jefferson have 10 ten pass rush win rates

That's good, because the schedule is far more difficult in terms of QB's we'll face and the pass rush needs to get a whole lot better. Still concerned about edge, but we'll see what happens. You'd have to assume EO will only get better.

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's good, because the schedule is far more difficult in terms of QB's we'll face and the pass rush needs to get a whole lot better. Still concerned about edge, but we'll see what happens. You'd have to assume EO will only get better.

I think they took Ed Oliver realizing upcoming things like this year

i think Addison replaces lawson pretty well Jefferson provides paaa rush while still being able to stop the run Klein is solid

Murphy is what he is

need certain players to maintain their production and guys like Williams to continue their progresdion

So I was reading an article on the athletic that says that the Niners only gave Matt Breida the second round tender with the idea that they would be able to trade him later for a mid round pick. Would you do it for say a 4th or fifth? Behind a paywall by heres the link:

https://theathletic.com/1698741/2020/03/25/49ers-mailbag-jerry-jeudy-or-ceedee-lamb-the-teams-most-enticing-trade-bait/

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/26/2020 at 7:53 PM, Richard Noggin said:

I really liked Yeldon in the second half against NE last year; his pass-catching presented a problem for the D, much like White has done for years in NE. 

But is that a clear #2, or just a committee member, able to contribute in specific ways?

I think you need another versatile guy. 

Yep, Yeldon seems fine to me compared to some of the other choices people are throwing out there - guys who'd either be expensive or who really aren't any better than Yeldon. I think it's another draft pick rather than a veteran signing.

On 3/28/2020 at 12:12 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

Question is whether Julian Okwara, Jonathan Greenard, Bradee Anae or some other DE is a good enough prospect to overlook a very good prospect at other positions Like RB, WR or CB.  

Taking an “OK” DE prospect doesn’t help that much, but if you think you are getting a good long-term starting DE that can get you 6-8 sacks a year then by all means do it.

Go where the draft takes you.  I think wr and rb will be the highest rated players availible at 54.  Drafting for need never works out. 

I don't think we are a run first team anymore, are we? I can now see 3 WR sets Diggs, Brown, Beasly with situational TE as there main set all game long, with the occasional 2 te or 4WR sets. The only way dual threat HB works is if you have 2 accomplished HB on the team. Im more thinking we get another 4th or 5th round RB and get another piece on the o'line in the second round and WR third round.

All this being said they are going to get bpa at need.

53 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I don't think we are a run first team anymore, are we? I can now see 3 WR sets Diggs, Brown, Beasly with situational TE as there main set all game long, with the occasional 2 te or 4WR sets. The only way dual threat HB works is if you have 2 accomplished HB on the team. Im more thinking we get another 4th or 5th round RB and get another piece on the o'line in the second round and WR third round.

All this being said they are going to get bpa at need.

I think McDermott and Beane want to a team that can do everything - not run first or pass first.   They want to be able to win by running 35 times a game and also win by throwing 35 times a game.   

To be able to win run dominated games, you need two good backs.   Sure, you could have a Barkley or a Peterson and make him your horse, but that's usually short-term and iffy.   Gurley looked like one of those guys one year, and then he was gone.   You need two.   In a perfect world you'd have a second guy as good as Singletary.   Two guys with 1000-yard potential.

I think we're going to see Beane be aggressive going for a back.   Trade a pick to get one, trade up, something.   He knows he needs another guy who is a threat, not just a ball carrier. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think McDermott and Beane want to a team that can do everything - not run first or pass first.   They want to be able to win by running 35 times a game and also win by throwing 35 times a game.   

To be able to win run dominated games, you need two good backs.   Sure, you could have a Barkley or a Peterson and make him your horse, but that's usually short-term and iffy.   Gurley looked like one of those guys one year, and then he was gone.   You need two.   In a perfect world you'd have a second guy as good as Singletary.   Two guys with 1000-yard potential.

I think we're going to see Beane be aggressive going for a back.   Trade a pick to get one, trade up, something.   He knows he needs another guy who is a threat, not just a ball carrier. 

I don’t think he will have to trade up to get a very good RB.  I think one of the top 5 (6 if you like Moss) will be there at 54.

In my opinion save the trade up for round 4 where you might still have a very good WR prospect still around 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t think he will have to trade up to get a very good RB.  I think one of the top 5 (6 if you like Moss) will be there at 54.

In my opinion save the trade up for round 4 where you might still have a very good WR prospect still around 

Well, OldTimer, I hear you and I get it.   And I couldn't even name one running back in the draft, so I suspect you're correct.  

However, I've come to understand to things about Beane as he goes after players that work well in McDermott's system:

1.  He seems have a very high value on some guys, well out of step with the conventional wisdom.   He knows what he's looking for, and it's something different from what most people think he should be looking for.

2.  When he sees a guy he values highly at a position of need, he trades up.  

So I get what you're saying, but I won't be surprised in Beane trades up to take his running back. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, OldTimer, I hear you and I get it.   And I couldn't even name one running back in the draft, so I suspect you're correct.  

However, I've come to understand to things about Beane as he goes after players that work well in McDermott's system:

1.  He seems have a very high value on some guys, well out of step with the conventional wisdom.   He knows what he's looking for, and it's something different from what most people think he should be looking for.

So I get what you're saying, but I won't be surprised in Beane trades up to take his running back. 

For sure, I don’t know what he will do.  I agree that a trade up is pretty likely at some point in the draft.

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Like you say, it probably depends on how Beane values them, and the tiers he has.

If someone he considers special drops down a ways, Beane just might want to go up ahead of Tampa Bay, they have a glaring need at RB.  I'm hoping that doesn't happen.