RB is a really GLARING need, right?

Backup RB is one of the easiest roles to fill, either in late FA or mid to late draft. There is a hole where Gore’s reps were but not sure *all caps*  “glaring” ... or that it equates to taking RB high in the draft. Jmo 

they should use the draft to stockpile talent. If BPA *On their board* at 54 or wherever they end up drafting first is an RB, so be it. But if it isn’t, drafting for need especially at that position, especially for a backup, isn’t how I would do it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I trust McBeane to have a plan. They saw first-hand back in 2018 what happens when your RB depth chart is depleted. Who can forget the game against the Pats when the only healthy player in the backfield was DiMarco -- and he too got banged up late in the game. Josh had to essentially play both QB and RB in the 4th quarter of that game.

There were rumors of Beane having been in talks with a couple of the RBs (M. Gordon, etc.) who wound up signing with other teams in free agency. Where there's smoke there is usually fire. I sense that Beane realizes that there is a need for an additional RB -- but he also realizes that there are plenty of options in FA and the draft that prohibit the need to overpay. As others have pointed out, there are still some serviceable guys (Hyde, Freeman, Miller, etc.) still out there in free agency. I expect the Bills to bring one of them in on a modest deal AND use the draft as another means of addressing the need.

I honestly believe the draft could go any number of ways. If the RBs somehow fall to the point where a bell cow guy is there in the middle of the 2nd round, I could see Beane make a modest move up to get him with the belief that this would REALLY bolster the position, essentially finding a guy that could potentially be an upgrade over Singletary -- that is, become the 1A to Devin's 1B. Conversely, I could see them pass on a RB in the 2nd (and even 3rd) if they see better value there at other positions -- and address the position in the mid rounds with a "diamond in the rough" (e.g. Aiken) to compete for the 1B role.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Backup RB is one of the easiest roles to fill, either in late FA or mid to late draft. There is a hole where Gore’s reps were but not sure “glaring” ... or that it equates to taking RB high in the draft. Jmo 

IMO, you need two starter quality RBs today, especially when our RB1 is undersized like Singletary.   

To me, the focus should be on getting an equal or better RB in the draft -- in round 2 or 3 -- and having no drop off when either guy is is on the field.   Getting a veteran RB3 is fine, but I don't understand why we shouldn't maximize our OL advantage by having the best RB room possible...   

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I actually have no problem with Yeldon as a #2 if they actually dress him and let him play. He’s not amazing or anything, but he’s a solid #2 who could excel in the passing game. 

I think you're over valuing one half of football in 2019.  Yeldon couldn't unseat Gore for the #2 job last year.  Think about that for a minute.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Lurker said:

IMO, you need two starter quality RBs today, especially when our RB1 is undersized like Singletary.   

To me, the focus should be on getting an equal or better RB in the draft -- in round 2 or 3 -- and having no drop off when either guy is is on the field.   Getting a veteran RB3 is fine, but I don't understand why we shouldn't maximize our OL advantage by having the best RB room possible...   

Sure, he can be starter quality but I’d rather take one later in the draft. He’s still going to get fewer reps. The line between, say, Dobbins and Lamical Perine for me just isn’t a lot when I look at how he will be used. I don’t need a bigger RB btw. Don’t get that. I would look to get a faster RB to complement Devin. If he’s bigger too that’s fine but not necessary. 

There are a lot of people that feel this way and i for one don't get it the Bills run game last year wasn't that bad with Singletary in and if Frank would have stayed as hot as he was at the beginning of the season when Motor was dinged up it would have been even better .

http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/statistics?team=BUF

I think with who they have right now on the team who ever they would choose could at least put up the kind of numbers per game that Gore did & if they can't they need to move on from them . Wade showed a lot of promise although it be in the preseason & Yeldon did well in the games he played & after what Tiwan Jones did to us in that play off game I won't count him out of nothin but he is a ST player first .

Some of the mocks have the Bills getting the kid from LSU  he is the exact same back as Motor build wise not sure as far as speed & all but i hope they get a bigger back if they do take one but i hope it's in the later rounds .

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Backup RB is one of the easiest roles to fill, either in late FA or mid to late draft. There is a hole where Gore’s reps were but not sure *all caps*  “glaring” ... or that it equates to taking RB high in the draft. Jmo 

they should use the draft to stockpile talent. If BPA *On their board* at 54 or wherever they end up drafting first is an RB, so be it. But if it isn’t, drafting for need especially at that position, especially for a backup, isn’t how I would do it. 

Yep. Beane has set himself up to be able to go pure BPA in at least the 2nd and 3rd. After that it's basically a pick'em so he can go for need, if necessary.

If BPA ends up RB, fine. If it ends up a DE, great. If it ends up being Kicker, fine.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sure, he can be starter quality but I’d rather take one later in the draft. He’s still going to get fewer reps. The line between, say, Dobbins and Lamical Perine for me just isn’t a lot when I look at how he will be used. I don’t need a bigger RB btw. Don’t get that. I would look to get a faster RB to complement Devin. If he’s bigger too that’s fine but not necessary. 

I guess we see things differently.  I don't see why RB1 and RB2 can't get equal touches, not one guy being a 'bell cow' and the other being a 'give him a blow' type.

Absent having a true bull, like Derrick Henry, I see RB being similar to WR.  You wouldn't want to have just one or two quality WRs (like the Bills had last year)--you want three or more high end WRs like we now have.    Same holds for RB, IMO...  

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I guess we see things differently.  I don't see why RB1 and RB2 can't get equal touches, not one guy being a 'bell cow' and the other being a 'give him a blow' type.

Absent having a true bull, like Derrick Henry, I see RB being similar to WR.  You wouldn't want to have just one or two quality WRs (like the Bills had last year)--you want three or more high end WRs like we now have.    Same holds for RB, IMO...  

They can ... but I don’t expect it given what we’ve seen with how they used Singletary. Maybe they  change their approach but I think he’s their feature back and I’m operating from that reality until I see differently. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Unfortunately, Daboll and McDermott DID hate this idea for some reason we'll never know.

I think Singletary is fantastic.  But if he can't (or Daboll won't let him) carry the ball more than 15-20 times/game, then he was a horrible pick in the 3rd round.

Furthermore, if Beane drafts a RB in the first 3 rounds two years in a row???  Frankly, he should be fired.

why?  You really should have two running backs that are about the same quality. They handle the ball a lot and if one is not very good, then the defense could tee off on the passing game when the other is out.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I don't know the last time I began a thread. I didn't see one dedicated to this topic. (But I'm wrong ALL the time.)

Running back is a screaming,  pulsing, must-have need for the 2020 Bills. Right? I mean, behind Singletary we have Yeldon, who I don't hate as 3rd down-ish receiving back, and what? A rugby guy who I'd love to see take giant moon-leaps towards NFL relevance, but isn't exactly a reliable commodity, and a special teamer who is valuable, but not on offense. 

So we 100% need a valid, starter-level RB to spell Singletary and potentially fill-in in the unfortunate and often likely case of injury. Or maybe I'm dim. 

It's nice to have so few glaring weaknesses, but this is one. In my humble estimation. 

Right?

I wouldn’t say glaring Bob 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Isn't Christian Wade a wild card here?

I think we're better off counting on him as being a practice squad player and if he happens to become more than that, it's an added bonus. I certainly wouldn't be counting on him to be the 1b to Singletary's 1a or even counting on him to be a backup.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, gordong said:

354glaring NO....   we have a GLARING NEED for an EDGE rusher way before a #2 RB.    IN MY OPINION a true edge rusher is what is keeping this defense from becoming a dominate unit. Im hoping we are actively try to acquire someone. 

we are not going to find him at pick #54, when 9-13 CE's are mocked to be picked before our turn in round 2.  There are 3 first round quality RB and about 3 2nd round quality RB's in this draft. We pick 2/3 the way down round 2.  Getting one of the top 3 with some move up would be great. The guy would be the 1a RB and Singletary would be a solid good 1B.  The next 3 down would also be worth #54.   I think so many Buffalo fans have grown up never ever having a stud running back that they don't know what that is or feels like.  Imagine the other team being scared that on any handoff, out guy could take it to the house, RATHER than  UH ? is he going to get enough yards to make 2nd down  reasonable?

4 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I really don't understand CB and RB still being "glaring" needs at this point.  We already signed Gaines and Norman, and Yeldon can be our RB2.  We're talking about depth or "complimentary pieces" at this point.

BPA from our draft board all the way.

"Just a guy" guys are easy to get. I agree with that.  We can get somebody who the other team has to scheme against going to the house.  IT makes everything else so much easier.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I think you're over valuing one half of football in 2019.  Yeldon couldn't unseat Gore for the #2 job last year.  Think about that for a minute.

Nah I am looking at the totality of a guys career and Yeldon has been a solid #2 for awhile now. He was a starter for a year or two. To me he got buried in the interest of veteran grit, and he had those couple of fumbles. I don’t think he’s a big deal, but I think he is a solid #2 guy. Now if they want it to be more of a 1-2 punch like 2 guys to carry the load, then they probably need someone better. Singletary should be getting 20-25 carries per game; not a timeshare. Also there is no guarantee that any of the backs in this draft available in round 2-3 will be any better than Yeldon. 

• Like (+1) 1