RB is a really GLARING need, right?

4 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I agree with you. I think we are set at cb. I do worry 

some about the rb position, I’m not as sold on yeldon. I think we draft one for sure and we could go that route second round. What veterans are still out there?

To the people worried about load on DS or Yeldon having to play, I remind them that passing the ball is an option too.  I'm not sure if everyone has heard, but we picked up some kid called Stefon Diggs who might be halfway decent at taking some touches.

Brown/Beasley/Knox/etc exist as well, and there's always sweeps and whatnot and the occasional run from Allen.  We'll be fine, BPA.

Where the roster stands today... yes, it is a big need.  Maybe I wouldn't classify it as a "huge" or "glaring" need, since we do have a legitimate starter in Devin Singletary.  But in today's NFL, you really need to be sitting at least two-deep with that position.

The good news is, Running Back is the easiest position in the league to fill.

This year's draft doesn't have anyone elite.  But it's pretty solid on Day 2.  Even without a 1st Round Pick, it's very likely that one of the top 2-3 prospects falls to us at #54.  And if we decide to go in a different direction in the 2nd Round, there will still be very good options available in Round 3.  

You want a veteran to compete with TJ Yeldon for the third spot?  There are still some decent vets on the market like Carlos Hyde and Lamar Miller, who are under 30 and have rushed for 1000 yard seasons in this league.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

To the people worried about load on DS or Yeldon having to play, I remind them that passing the ball is an option too.  I'm not sure if everyone has heard, but we picked up some kid called Stefon Diggs who might be halfway decent at taking some touches.

Brown/Beasley/Knox/etc exist as well, and there's always sweeps and whatnot and the occasional run from Allen.  We'll be fine, BPA.

You say that, but if all we have is Singletary, then the defenses are not going to be scared when Yeldon gets touches. We need a complimentary RB that can carve up defenses when Singletary needs a break. This will open up the passing game. 

Last year, when Gore came into the game, defenses knew what was coming. Another RB like Singletary would eliminate that predictability. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

RB1b # 1 need

QB 2 # 2 need

edge- #3 need

wr4- # 4 need

cb 4/5 # 5 need

RB is the only glaring need I see.  Other than that, I think we really need to improve back up qb position.  If Josh gets injured, I want to reload, not rebuild.  We should improve on WR 4- especially with this WR receiver class.  Beane has done such an impressive job building depth.   When he arrived, we had a hard time putting together 53 nfl players.  Now we might be deepest team in league.  Some solid NFL players will be cut.  Every team in league will pay specisl attention to Bills cuts 

Edited by Pete
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think rb is a big need to take advantage of situations like the titans did against pats.  just ran it down their throat the entire game and grinded them out.  run the ball, run the clock keep mahomes off the field as well.  play great defense. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

You say that, but if all we have is Singletary, then the defenses are not going to be scared when Yeldon gets touches. We need a complimentary RB that can carve up defenses when Singletary needs a break. This will open up the passing game. 

Last year, when Gore came into the game, defenses knew what was coming. Another RB like Singletary would eliminate that predictability. 

Yes. I agree. Stefon Diggs is a hell of a weapon and it wouldn’t shock me if he gets 85-100 catches but outside of Singletary we’re completely screwed at RB. And like you said, every time Singletary needed some air our running attack was downright atrocious and abysmal. RB#2 is the difference between 8-9 wins or 10-12, it’s that important. God forbid Singletary gets hurt and our offense becomes one dimensional. I think Allen is good but I don’t think he can will us to a Championship on his arm alone, he needs a great defense and running attack to help get him there. He’s only 23 years old and needs a strong supporting cast around him to get him over the hump. Maybe in year 4 or 5 Allen turns into an elite QB ala Rodgers, Mahomes or Brady but for now I just don’t think he’s there yet. Pound the ball and take some pressure off of Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the Bills are serious about being a perennial playoff team and a realistic Super Bowl contender, then they need to upgrade their RB corps.  Singletary is a nice RB but he's not a Gurley or Gordon or Lynch in their primes.  He needs another starting caliber RB to share carries.  The other RB can be a change up type back or a complementary back but the Bills definitely need the RB1a and RB1b tandem plus they need to upgrade their backup RBs.    I would not be opposed to  keep Yeldon as an RB3 with a better veteran ahead of him and a rookie on the 55 man roster.

The two big needs the Bills had after last season were a real #1 WR and an RB1b.  They filled the WR1 need with Diggs.  Now they need to add that FA RB as well.  I don't think they can afford to bank on a rookie RB adapting to the NFL and contributing from the season opener, especially this season when it looks like a lot of the conditioning regimens and OTAs are going to be restricted.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

A few others are making the argument that RB is never a "glaring" need, and I've often said something like that myself.

But what I typically mean is that you shouldn't feel compelled to spend excessive capital to address the need. A solid offense DOES need effective RB play, though.

So how do the Bills ensure they get solid production from the position over the course of an entire NFL campaign? (Draft Day 2 is the most popular option so far.)

I definitely agree that an effective ground game is needed to succeed in NFL now but I think that is generally due to a good Online vs a good RB. I hope we get a better RB2 but it will not be a priority in my mind. I think a better TE will do as much for the running game as a better RB2.

glaring NO....   we have a GLARING NEED for an EDGE rusher way before a #2 RB.    IN MY OPINION a true edge rusher is what is keeping this defense from becoming a dominate unit. Im hoping we are actively try to acquire someone. 

2 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Tell that to the Rams when Gurley hit the wall at over $14M/ yr.  Give me a guy on his rookie deal or an experienced guy on a prove it deal to back up Singletary.  The team can use another RB but drafting one at pick 54 will be a waste.

I agree with this.  Once RB’s lose that hunger, you replace them with someone hungrier.  However if Dobbins or Taylor last until 54, you take them because they add a home run threat.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I agree with this.  Once RB’s lose that hunger, you replace them with someone hungrier.  However if Dobbins or Taylor last until 54, you take them because they add a home run threat.  

Correct.  Rd 2 you take a play maker.  I would include Swift as well.  If they are gone you draft a chain mover in rd 3 or 4.  I think Buffalo has a legitimate shot at Dobbins, Taylor, or Swift at 54.

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

We have options. It's not a "GLARING" need really, but I do look for them to address the position at some point. 

This right here. There isn’t a glaring need on the whole team right now. They’ve afforded themselves the ability to draft BPA/whatever elite talent might slip through the cracks to their pick in round 2. 

• Like (+1) 2

Need some thunder to go with the lightning! I am exited about the possibility that the Bills are going to draft a running mate for Singletary. No washed up but reliable old timer is going to do it. It’s a two back league and this is the year to make it happen. I am sure they have someone picked out and have positioned the team to be able to draft a rb. I know who I like but we will have to wait and see

Edited by bmur66

I’m not sure why this so complicated? The front office has upgraded and fortified WR, OL, DL, LB, and CB during free agency. Seems to me that RB is the single most OBVIOUS position that’s yet to addressed, and the grocery store shelves are empty .They’re drafting a RB. 

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure why this so complicated? The front office has upgraded and fortified WR, OL, DL, LB, and CB during free agency. Seems to me that RB is the single most OBVIOUS position that’s yet to addressed, and the grocery store shelves are empty .They’re drafting a RB. 

I don't really agree with the bolded at all but I do think it's very likely we draft a RB. There are a lot of options in free agency still though. Anyone from the first two groups in particular would be a worthwhile addition IMO. If we went with someone like Freeman, Miller, or Hyde, we're probably fine with them, Singletary, and Yeldon. I think one of the 3rd down backs = still drafting a RB.

But either way, plenty of options out there still and we should definitely be bringing one of them in IMO.

"Traditional" RBs:

• Devonta Freeman
  • Lamar Miller
  • Carlos Hyde
  • Isaiah Crowell
  • Spencer Ware
  • Alfred Blue
  • LeSean McCoy (probably the weakest of these options not to mention the complications after having cut him already)

3rd Down Back:

• Chris Thompson
  • Theo Riddick
  • Bilal Powell
  • Ty Montgomery
  • Buck Allen
  • CJ Prosise
  • Devontae Booker
  • Corey Clement

Weaker Flyer Types:

• Ameer Abdullah
  • Dwayne Washington
  • DeAndre Washington
  • Jonathan Williams
  • Wendell Smallwood
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Canniablizing an earlier post, here is some info and opinion about the RB options.   My opinion is that we can get a starting RB, who would make Singletary the backup. We would play both of them every game- maybe a 60%: 40% type split. Remember Singeltary is on the small side and was dinged up for 4 games last year. Don't expect that to get better.

Having said all that in another thread,  the discussion changed my mind to seeing Akers (not Aikens) as the guys who should be our target.  He is as big and fast as any of them has good vision and catches the ball well.  He played behind a average to poor offensive line and still dominated.  Beane likes to find guys who are underrated. .... Taylor should be the first guy off the board and  I'm not sure we could even trade up high enough to get him without using some high picks from 2021.

As an FSU fan, you are way too kind. That offensive line has been horrible the last 3-4 years. They are comparable to the horrible Bills line in 2018. In other words, they suck. If you put Akers behind a competent line, watch out!

The Bills need a running back that can take the ball straight up the opposing defenses throat. To all that posted as to having a rb with a similar skill set because of Gore I noticed this past season Gore started strong and fell off as the season wore on and appeared to me his age could had something to do with it. I also noticed at the early part of the season when Gore was strong Singletary was ripping off some long runs and if I'm not mistaken at the beginning of the season Singletary was averaging 20 yds a carry. I feel a bruising up the throat running back will tire out the defense and followed up with big runs by Singletary due to missed tackles by a tired defense and a one two punch like that opens the passing game and both styles rb to help preserve leads in the fourth quarter by controlling the clock.The reason I commenting on this is that I don't like the Bills letting opposing teams hang around all game like they did quite a bit this past season it gives the other team hope so they play harder and take more chances and one big play by them could cause the Bills to needing to score with little time on the clock to win. I just want whatever it takes to correct it for this upcoming season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Correct.  Rd 2 you take a play maker.  I would include Swift as well.  If they are gone you draft a chain mover in rd 3 or 4.  I think Buffalo has a legitimate shot at Dobbins, Taylor, or Swift at 54.

Shocked if Swift is available anywhere near 54. I"m an UGA fan, so biased, but he's going to be very good. I like Akers as the best back likely to be available at that spot.