RB is a really GLARING need, right?

3 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Wish list:

FA (Sign one)

Carlos Hyde, Devonta Freeman or Chris Thompson

plus
Draft one
Dobbins, Helaire-Edwards, Moss,  Dillon or maybe there's a sleeper the Bills are targeting.

Yep!?

2 hours ago, TPS said:

They have him.  His name is Allen.

Yeah, their third and one guys are Allen and Singletary, who was terrific at converting third downs.

Thing is, there's no rush. There are 6 or 7 FAs who are legitimately solid RBs sitting and watching their prices go down, and this year is a terrific year for RB depth. There are like 15 guys who look like they can play in the NFL right away.in this draft. It's a terrific year to be looking for a relief back. A guy like Dillon from BC weighs 247 and runs a 4.53 at the combine and was outrageously productive and this year 's RB class is so good he'll probably be available in the 4th. Lamical Perine would be great in the 3rd or 4th, or Joshua Kelley somewhere around the 4th now that he ran a 4.49 at the combine. Looks like 2020 will be looked back at as a great year for RBs, a year where even more than usual you could get starter-quality guys in the mid-rounds.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I actually have no problem with Yeldon as a #2 if they actually dress him and let him play. He’s not amazing or anything, but he’s a solid #2 who could excel in the passing game. 

But it does seem likely that a Devonta Freeman type winds up here once people can take physicals. 

While RB is a glaring need, I'd prefer to go this route as opposed to NEEDING to draft a RB.

The Bills must get better at the position, but the value is generally not great in the first 3 rounds. 

If there's a stud there in the 2nd, OK. If he's far and away the BPA, great. I wouldn't want to go into the draft with our current RB situation.

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

We need a 3rd & 1 guy. Desperately. That's about it.

We also need the offensive line to create some holes in these situations.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

If they did take a running back in the second round it would not mean that Singletery becomes a back up.It would mean that they have a two-pronged running attack.

That's actually a lot of capital to invest in the position two years running.

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

to be fair it’s a backup like WR3 or your 5th guy on the DL. 

he will get a lot of important snaps, whoever it is.

because we have luxury money I wouldn’t mind being a little silly with offering a late pick for a solid overpriced vet somewhere even. Or a vet free agent AND a day 2 pick. 

Pretty weird discussion to be having: which backup position is the most GLARING need? It seems to me that #2 RB is the only position to not really be addressed in FA. The irrational fan in me would love to see a scenario where Christian Wade comes off the PS, and blows everyone away. (It is possible) But, beyond that, I have very little faith in Yeldon, and less in Taiwan Jones, as anything other than ST.

Cannibalizing some earlier posts, here is our trade up options to get a RB

DRAFT PICK            # PICKED      POINTS          CASE1            CASE 2           CASE 3           CASE 4       CASE5        

ROUND 2                  54                    360                  YES                YES                YES                YES               YES

ROUND 3                  86                    160                  YES                YES                x                      YES               x

ROUND 4                  118                  58                    x                      YES                YES                x                     x

ROUND 5                  150                  31                    x                      x                      YES                x                    x

#2 2021                   #54?                180                  x                      x                      x                      YES               x

======================================================================================

We get:                                                                       #38                  #33                  #45                  #31          #54

Move up=                                                                    16                    21                    9                      23                 0

I expect to see one of these trades happen, probably for a running back to spell Singletary.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Canniablizing an earlier post, here is some info and opinion about the RB options.   My opinion is that we can get a starting RB, who would make Singletary the backup. We would play both of them every game- maybe a 60%: 40% type split. Remember Singeltary is on the small side and was dinged up for 4 games last year. Don't expect that to get better.

In my view,  there is no need to compromise in getting another, potentially even better, game breaking RB to work in rotation or with Singletary. There are (my opinion) 4 guys who would fit the bill and would probably be available. Shown below are the the top RB’s and where several mock drafts have them being picked.

Swift                    Georgia                   37   18   39   45

Dobbins               Ohio Stat                 39    28   37   32  

Taylor                  Wisconsin               56   37    57    50

Edwards-Helain   LSU                        63   63    62    55

Moss                    Utah                       91   86            139

Aikens                 Flordia                   100  45  

The first three guys are clearly the class of the position, but Edward-Helain is close behind.  Moss and Aikens are good players, but a bit slower and are more power runners.  I expect Swift and Dobbins to be drafted too high to have a chance at them.  Taylor might drop to us or be available as a trade up at a reasonable price.  Moss & Aikens might still be around with our 3rd round pick, but the expectation is that they could be adequate backups.  Edward-Helain would be my target because he is the best pass catcher of the entire group and would give Allen another option on passing plays. Remember TT running wheel routes?

Having said all that in another thread,  the discussion changed my mind to seeing Akers (not Aikens) as the guys who should be our target.  He is as big and fast as any of them has good vision and catches the ball well.  He played behind a average to poor offensive line and still dominated.  Beane likes to find guys who are underrated. .... Taylor should be the first guy off the board and  I'm not sure we could even trade up high enough to get him without using some high picks from 2021.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

It's an easy issue to solve so little to worry. You're going to have decent options until round 5 at least. No need to go chasing the garbage on the FA market. If someone like Freeman will take a really cheap deal then fine, but why bother with the likes of Hyde when you can draft better for cheaper 

I'd say it's a need in the sense, we were able to address most of the other areas, so RB2 has all of a sudden been the only one standing when the music stopped.

That being said, I do think having a compliment to Singletary. While I do see the sentiment of getting a similiar style back to Singletary, in order not to tip your hand to the defense when one back is in oppose to the other. I fore one, would love a SPEED, take it to the house on any carry type back. If one of the big three Dobbins, Taylor, Swift are gone, give me McFarland later! 

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I mean, behind Singletary we have Yeldon, who I don't hate as 3rd down-ish receiving back, and what?

Unfortunately, Daboll and McDermott DID hate this idea for some reason we'll never know.

I think Singletary is fantastic.  But if he can't (or Daboll won't let him) carry the ball more than 15-20 times/game, then he was a horrible pick in the 3rd round.

Furthermore, if Beane drafts a RB in the first 3 rounds two years in a row???  Frankly, he should be fired.

21 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Last year, the 49ers had a good formula. Get three good backs because you may need them all throughout the season.

* Coleman

* Breida

* Mostert

To my eye, Singletary compares to Mostert. I think we'll draft a guy. It's possible Christian Wade learns how to take a handoff and steps in.  It's possible Yeldon sticks.  It's possible we sign a FA. I can't wait to see what unfolds.

The funny thing, RS, that you’ve seen from other people when talking about Wade that they leave off in the criticism and something to keep in mind...is that the man was a successful professional athlete.

i am a believer that he will make a giant leap this year.  We should still draft somebody, but I still think we have something here. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Motor26 said:

I wouldn’t call it a glaring need. Good running backs can be found later in the draft or they could bring in a free agent. They are pretty old on the edge. Would like some youth in that spot. 

They are old, but they are talented and deep. Don’t discount Daryl Johnson. He was a contributor on the team last year when most teams stash 7th rounders on the practice squad or cut them. 

I don’t think you can say the same about RB. We are a Devin Singletary injury away from Yeldon being our starting RB. Yikes. A previous poster nailed it IMO...Daboll prefers to share the workload and not have a true number 1 RB. Last year, when Singletary should have gotten more carries, Gore would come into the game and we became predictable and we weren’t scary at all. I could see Beane giving Daboll another similar RB with elite skill for the offense to take advantage of. Imagine an offense where you have Singletary and another elite RB confusing the defense and wearing them out. 

• Like (+1) 1

I really don't understand CB and RB still being "glaring" needs at this point.  We already signed Gaines and Norman, and Yeldon can be our RB2.  We're talking about depth or "complimentary pieces" at this point.

BPA from our draft board all the way.

• Like (+1) 2

I’ve been saying it for over a month now. Singletary is legit, like top 5 RB in the NFL legit but I prefer a RBBC approach. It’ll keep Singletary fresh, lengthen his career and constantly keep defenses off guard. Every time Singletary stepped out for a breather our running game suffered massively. Gore and Yeldon were just not good enough to keep the chains moving. There’s at least half a dozen RBs RDS 2-4 that I think could come in right away and help us, Taylor, Dobbins, CEH, Moss, Dillon, Benjamin etc, and I’m sure I’m missing a couple but the point remains, adding another bell cow RB makes our offense dangerous. We’re deep everywhere but RB and it’s a position that is in obvious need of an upgrade. I’d prefer we go to the draft for RB and not FA. Find a young stud that can help spearhead a doubleheaded monster with Singletary. I’d prefer we address it RD2 especially if Dobbins or Taylor slip, maybe even trade up a little bit get one but WR is also still a need, we could go there as well, I guess it depends on how the board plays out. We need RB, WR, DE so I’m hoping we address these areas in RDS 2, 3 & 4. Other than that I think our roster is pretty jacked, like should compete for a Super Bowl Championship level jacked. Brandon Beane is a genius and quite frankly one of the best GMs in football, if not in all of sports. The man is a wizard.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 1ManRaid said:

I really don't understand CB and RB still being "glaring" needs at this point.  We already signed Gaines and Norman, and Yeldon can be our RB2.  We're talking about depth or "complimentary pieces" at this point.

BPA from our draft board all the way.

I agree with you. I think we are set at cb. I do worry 

some about the rb position, I’m not as sold on yeldon. I think we draft one for sure and we could go that route second round. What veterans are still out there?