RB is a really GLARING need, right?

I don't know the last time I began a thread. I didn't see one dedicated to this topic. (But I'm wrong ALL the time.)

Running back is a screaming,  pulsing, must-have need for the 2020 Bills. Right? I mean, behind Singletary we have Yeldon, who I don't hate as 3rd down-ish receiving back, and what? A rugby guy who I'd love to see take giant moon-leaps towards NFL relevance, but isn't exactly a reliable commodity, and a special teamer who is valuable, but not on offense. 

So we 100% need a valid, starter-level RB to spell Singletary and potentially fill-in in the unfortunate and often likely case of injury. Or maybe I'm dim. 

It's nice to have so few glaring weaknesses, but this is one. In my humble estimation. 

Right?

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I actually have no problem with Yeldon as a #2 if they actually dress him and let him play. He’s not amazing or anything, but he’s a solid #2 who could excel in the passing game. 

But it does seem likely that a Devonta Freeman type winds up here once people can take physicals. 

• Like (+1) 5

You have to remember that it’s not a need in the big scheme of things. Backs are found all over. The obvious route is we are probably drafting one. But even after all that is said and done there are going to be plenty of veteran guys just sitting around hoping the phone will ring. There are gonna be tons of options around. Everyday that passes the contracts get lower and lower and lower. Sign a vet for preseason and you can snag them for like a million bucks. It’s possibly the easiest position to fill in the league. Beane will 100% add some talent he’s just bargain shopping and scouting the draft. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I actually have no problem with Yeldon as a #2 if they actually dress him and let him play. He’s not amazing or anything, but he’s a solid #2 who could excel in the passing game. 

But it does seem likely that a Devonta Freeman type winds up here once people can take physicals. 

I really liked Yeldon in the second half against NE last year; his pass-catching presented a problem for the D, much like White has done for years in NE. 

But is that a clear #2, or just a committee member, able to contribute in specific ways?

I think you need another versatile guy. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

I really liked Yeldon in the second half against NE last year; his pass-catching presented a problem for the D, much like White has done for years in NE. 

But is that a clear #2, or just a committee member, able to contribute in specific ways?

I think you need another versatile guy. 

It seems like the favorite on the board is AJ Dillon. Similar to James Connor as a bigger back, but still has speed. But Dillon is about 20lbs heavier and also ran a faster 40. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

You have to remember that it’s not a need in the big scheme of things. Backs are found all over. The obvious route is we are probably drafting one. But even after all that is said and done there are going to be plenty of veteran guys just sitting around hoping the phone will ring. There are gonna be tons of options around. Everyday that passes the contracts get lower and lower and lower. Sign a vet for preseason and you can snag them for like a million bucks. It’s possibly the easiest position to fill in the league. Beane will 100% add some talent he’s just bargain shopping and scouting the draft. 

Totally agree that this need does not necessitate a huge investment of money or draft capital to fill.

But, that doesn't lessen the importance of filling it, right? 

Really hammering this point, sorry. 

CB and depth LB (although I like Corey Thompson) seem like the only other obvious holes to fill...

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see it as a glaring we must spend our second round pick on the position need. Singletary is a legit lead back and Yeldon is solid depth. I think they have to draft a RB at some point by round 4 or 5 but I put Edge, WR (They desperately need depth there, one injury to Brown or Diggs and the offense is right back to where it was and Brown and Beasley are both over 30, they have to get younger there long term) and CB (Sorry Gaines is a value added camp competition body) as higher more pressing needs that should be addressed in round 2 and 3 over RB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I sure hope so. Haven't had the chance to check out RB prospects this year, except for some insightful posts on here.

Cam Akers is a target I’m sure. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sports-top-2020-nfl-draft-prospects-no-45-florida-state-rb-cam-akers-234605908.html

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Motor is great.  At 5' 7", 203 lbs I worry about his durability across a full season and playoff run.  We need a solid 1b to go with Singletary's 1a.  He was used sparingly last season and still missed three games with his hammy.  The most carries he had in a game all season was 21.  We need another skilled RB to pair up with him.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Totally agree that this need does not necessitate a huge investment of money or draft capital to fill.

But, that doesn't lessen the importance of filling it, right? 

Really hammering this point, sorry. 

CB and depth LB (although I like Corey Thompson) seem like the only other obvious holes to fill...

If you address it now you pay big, the major value is cheap rookie contracts and free agents and cuts after the draft. They’ll get it done, we’re hitting homeruns this offseason on paper so I don’t have any doubts Beane is gonna get a playmaker to pair with motor 

I think the top bets for the second round are RB and CB2. We have pretty much stocked up depth at every position, but if there is a need it is a complimentary back to Singletary. The sweet spot in this draft will be round two for RB and I think it will fall right into our laps. I think we could legitimately get someone like Cam Akers/Clyde Edwards-Helaire/or even Jonathan Taylor at that slot. 

A second stud RB would allow us to keep both backs fresh to really wear out defenses and open up the passing the game. I just have a hard time thinking they are ok going into the season with Senorise Perry and TJ Yeldon as the backups to Singletary. That just doesn’t scare anyone. 

Likewise, I think a CB2 to compliment White will be a priority, but I’m not sure it’s as big a need as a RB. They signed Norman and Gaines, and already have Wallace. I think that is a little more easy to get by with than what we currently have at RB. 

• Like (+1) 2