Bills signing Daryl Williams OT

PIZ

Three years removed from being an All-Pro RT in 2017 and another year removed from his big injury in 2018...I'd argue that he was criminally misused and not allowed to get comfortable at one position last season on a bad Carolina team blocking for below average QBs. For all those reasons, it's not unreasonable to expect an improved season from DW.

The risk vs reward on this move is significantly in our favor and despite the fact that it feels like WIlliams has been around for forever, I was happily surprised to learn he's only 27. Love the signing. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/26/2020 at 6:25 PM, Chicken Boo said:

Profootballtalk called him a massive liability on the right side for Carolina last season.

Why would he magically be any good here?  

Beane is basically banking on a short term career revival.its a quick fix at the position hence the 1 yr deal. 

18 hours ago, simpleman said:

Beane has made a lot of gambling signings this year. I'd rather he do that, than just stand pat. But let's not anoint him a genius until he actually proves it. He made one major signing that can be game changing. He made numerous "depth" signings. He made a number of signings that were health gambles like EJ and Williams, that "MAY" turn out. We can only hope he can make what appeared to be a depth signing like in the case of Poyer and Lorenzo , who turned out to be a huge winners.(Not HIS victories). But we need to wait to see how his gambles turn out before we give him a win. We can hope for another Poyer signing, but they are quite rare. We have declared a lot of "Winning Pre Seasons" in the past and found out that they did not result in "Winning Seasons". Let us just hope and wait before we judge.

Beanie didn’t sign Alexander, but I get your point.

12 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He’s not really banking on anything per se; he’s got two RTs in the mix without Williams.

Yea while RT was in the category of "positions that could stand to be upgraded" it was not a dire desperate need. If Williams is an upgrade fantastic. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea while RT was in the category of "positions that could stand to be upgraded" it was not a dire desperate need. If Williams is an upgrade fantastic. 

In essence, you will now have a 4 way competition to start ar RT, between Ford, Nsekhe, Waddle and Williams.

However it pans out, I believe we will see improved play from the position.

It also gives us much more flexibility in respect of the inevitable injuries that happen.

We definitely could have done with better depth at the tackle position last year, and with Waddle returning, and the signing of Williams, we now have that.

1 minute ago, Buddo said:

In essence, you will now have a 4 way competition to start ar RT, between Ford, Nsekhe, Waddle and Williams.

However it pans out, I believe we will see improved play from the position.

It also gives us much more flexibility in respect of the inevitable injuries that happen.

We definitely could have done with better depth at the tackle position last year, and with Waddle returning, and the signing of Williams, we now have that.

Waddle is currently an UFA.  I don't know if the Bills have plans on bringing him in for competition, but it couldn't hurt.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Waddle is currently an UFA.  I don't know if the Bills have plans on bringing him in for competition, but it couldn't hurt.

Correct, take out Waddle and put in Bates.

i can see been flipping Bates to a team for a fourth or fifth before final cuts. Hopefully showcase Bates In preseason and get back the 4th from the Diggs trade. 

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

There was a story they had brought him back but I have never seen any formal confirmation.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

My understanding was that he will be re-signing, but I may be wrong. It might be that due to a lack of physicals etc. the paperwork hasn't gone through yet, but I'm sure I've seen that he was going to re-sign. Just can't remember where off the top of my head.

After hitting google, it appears I'm mistaken, but I have no idea why. Thanks for the correction.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

There was a story they had brought him back but I have never seen any formal confirmation.

Can you remember where, or when that was?

At least I wasn't imagining it. ;)

4 hours ago, vincec said:

Beanie didn’t sign Alexander, but I get your point.

I specifically mentioned " not his victories" when I mentioned Poyer and Alexander. But i meant it definitely has happened, and sure hope it does again. Both were considered by most to be strictly low risk depth signings of players who had just mediocre success with other teams, and instead they blossomed into key cogs for the Bills. Further back in Bills history I can think of Hughes in the same light. How many expected their signings to turn out so spectacularly?  Time will tell, fingers crossed.

10 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Correct, take out Waddle and put in Bates.

i can see been flipping Bates to a team for a fourth or fifth before final cuts. Hopefully showcase Bates In preseason and get back the 4th from the Diggs trade. 

I want to see what Bates can do.  Seemed like a promising late off-season pickup for them. 

7 minutes ago, Buddo said:

My understanding was that he will be re-signing, but I may be wrong. It might be that due to a lack of physicals etc. the paperwork hasn't gone through yet, but I'm sure I've seen that he was going to re-sign. Just can't remember where off the top of my head.

After hitting google, it appears I'm mistaken, but I have no idea why. Thanks for the correction.

It wouldn't surprise me if they brought him back for the league minimum.  I can't believe there's a lot of interest in his services coming off an injury.

17 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Do we know yet how much he got paid

Haven't heard anything on the contract.

He made 6 million last year on a 1 year, played out of position and failed there.

Sat a good while as a FA so I imagine quite a lot less than last year.

A 1 year prove it deal for Spain last year was 2 million with a small signing bonus.

I'm suspecting something around that for Williams.

2 hours ago, simpleman said:

I specifically mentioned " not his victories" when I mentioned Poyer and Alexander. But i meant it definitely has happened, and sure hope it does again. Both were considered by most to be strictly low risk depth signings of players who had just mediocre success with other teams, and instead they blossomed into key cogs for the Bills. Further back in Bills history I can think of Hughes in the same light. How many expected their signings to turn out so spectacularly?  Time will tell, fingers crossed.

Hughes was a trade not a free agent signing