Bills signing Daryl Williams OT

PIZ

At this point, Buffalo could lose almost it's entire starting O-Line and still field a solid unit.

- Ty Nsekhe/Daryl Williams both have significant starting experience at both Tackle spots

- Spencer Long has significant experience starting at both guard and center

- Ryan Bates is young and doesn't have starting experience.  But he's showed promise sliding in at multiple spots.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I like it. I wonder if they will let Long go as Williams appears to be a swiss army type that can backup at multiple spots.

I still like Ford at RT. 

I'd be surprised by outright cuts. Teams always need quality depth OL as they get through camp. Beane was able to trade our extra OLs last year for late picks. I'd expect him to do the same again.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I like it. I wonder if they will let Long go as Williams appears to be a swiss army type that can backup at multiple spots.

I still like Ford at RT. 

No they already picked up Longs option which triggers guaranteed money.  Williams is probably 50/50 to even make the roster  

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

No they already picked up Longs option which triggers guaranteed money.  Williams is probably 50/50 to even make the roster  

Over the cap has a savings of 2.77 mil if he is traded post June 1st. I could see the Beane wizard getting a late round for him in training camp. Based on positional flexibility i would say he is the mostly likely to get moved. 

https://overthecap.com/player/spencer-long/3017/

Edited by YattaOkasan

3 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

They literally just lowered his overall grade. I’m serious.

...are you...?

54 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Why? Why? Why? Absolute turnstile. Complete waste.

FOUND THE PFF MOLE!

LET US ENJOY THINGS.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

you are not required to dress 8 OL each week. however, you may now dress 55 on game days, provided that you activate 8 OL. In other words, you can go with 53, or 55. If you go 55, then 8 of those must be OL, which would leave you 1 extra position that can be active on gameday....if I understand correctly

OK but still why did they single out  lineman, why not a different position to require a certain amount?  Is the idea they don't want teams to have too many "skill" position players active?

7 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK but still why did they single out  lineman, why not a different position to require a certain amount?  Is the idea they don't want teams to have too many "skill" position players active?

I think it has to do with all teams struggling to dress 7 or 8 OL on gameday.

Ideally you want your starting 5 plus a C, G, OT.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Beane is absolutely killing it again. There is no reason not to load every position with competition and depth, and he’s making the whole league look stupid.  Watch him trade the “leftovers” for draft picks before the final cutdown once more.  

In a normal season i would agree,  but we might have such a shortened time to evaluate & trade players before the season starts may not be ablte to this year

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Keep them all. Long, Ty, Williams/Ford (whomever loses the RT battle) and Bates should be the backup O-line. Ty is a backup LT, Williams Ford backup RT with value to swing into guard, Long backup center/guard, and Bates is a complete swiss army knife as the 9th O-line player. The more high quality depth along your offensive line you have the better. 

Totally agree with this

while other teams are having a hard time even fielding a decent line let our team accumulate talent and have a strong ol through the season

good enough to let our young qb progress

good enough to run the ball no matter who is carrying the rock

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

not sure the "why". just what I read. I'm assuming the coaches wanted it in the CBA

53 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Totally agree with this

while other teams are having a hard time even fielding a decent line let our team accumulate talent and have a strong ol through the season

good enough to let our young qb progress

good enough to run the ball no matter who is carrying the rock

I never have any issue investing more resources into an Offensive line. Yes in a capped league you have to be reasonable but overall I think you win and lose games in the trenches (as QB play is most dominantly impacted by O-line/D-line play.) Injuries always happen and you need to have at least 2 if not preferably 3 or 4 high quality versatile backup offensive linemen. Between Ty, Long, Bates, and the loser of the RT battle the Bills have successfully procured the ideal depth along an offensive line needed.