Bills signing Daryl Williams OT

PIZ

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Even without knowing the money, the fact that it's a 1-year deal says enough. He needs to prove it early and keep proving it to get a roster spot.

I also dont think the Bills Brass is as eager to move Ford to Guard as some fans are. It's most likely a message board pipe dream.

Yep. Lots of posters don’t want to give Ford the chance to get better at RT. A position the Bills have struggled to fill for a long time. Love for Ford to be the guy for the next three years. He is on a very affordable team friendly contract. Solid right tackles are getting paid pretty good these days, look at Conklin. 

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

I don't see Ford starting at guard or RT this season.  Still, I would like to see the contract Daryl Williams received before making solid predictions about that position.

Yeah, if new or better people beat out Ford, so be it. I see that as a totally good thing, this is a meritocracy, the best man wins--no matter where they were drafted. Ford will need to improve to stay in the line-up, and that is good.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Has anyone heard an explanation as to why in the new CBA you're required to dress 8 O lineman each week?  Why not require 6 WR or 7 DB's, how come they singled out the line like that?

you are not required to dress 8 OL each week. however, you may now dress 55 on game days, provided that you activate 8 OL. In other words, you can go with 53, or 55. If you go 55, then 8 of those must be OL, which would leave you 1 extra position that can be active on gameday....if I understand correctly

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm pretty sure everyone we've added this offseason has some kind of tie to McDermott, the sole exception being Diggs. Everyone else on the team knows his culture and his scheme.

Williams knows Daboll's offense because McDermott once coached the defensive side of the ball in Carolina?

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

Am I reading his stats right, he led the league in sacks allowed at 12?

I live in Carolina panthers country but am a lifelong Bills fan. My friend, a Panthers fan, thought he was a liability last year. It will be interesting to see how he does in camp. If anything, it gives us flexibility. Maybe they trade someone, possibly Spencer Long to a team needing a center. Cowboys come to mind.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, turftoe said:

I live in Carolina panthers country but am a lifelong Bills fan. My friend, a Panthers fan, thought he was a liability last year. It will be interesting to see how he does in camp. If anything, it gives us flexibility. Maybe they trade someone, possibly Spencer Long to a team needing a center. Cowboys come to mind.

Daryl Williams's story is kinda a head scratcher. I havent followed him but from what I can glean online...

He was drafted as a RT, and took a couple seasons to grow into the role before really settling in and having a Pro Bowl worthy 2017 season. Then blew out his knee (twice?) in 2018. Then came back in 2019, but Carolina moved him to LG where he struggled.

I'm hoping a chance to compete at RT will reignite his career.

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Then came back in 2019, but Carolina moved him to LG where he struggled.

Carolina's entire OL was a mess last year.  They started two rookies at LOT and moved Williams all around out of necessity, not scheme.

No question, he's a risk due to the knee.    But a good risk in that he's still young (28 on oppening day) and might thrive in a swing / backup role...

• Like (+1) 1

Both the Gaines and Williams acquisitions are both potentially solid signings.  If they remain healthy at worst they will be useful rotational and depth players which as we all know depth is very important.  At best we have two new starters that would represent upgrades.  The team is just getting accumulating a deeper talent pool.

To be honest, I actually think we now are a better team than we were a week ago.  

WR, RB, Edge Rusher, O lineman and Fullback are areas that they could still improve upon.   There really are no glaring holes on the team.  Of course the biggest determinant of whether or not the Bills will succeed is Allen's growth.  As long as he continues improving the sky is the limit with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Carolina's entire OL was a mess last year.  They started two rookies at LOT and moved Williams all around out of necessity, not scheme.

No question, he's a risk due to the knee.    But a good risk in that he's still young (28 on oppening day) and might thrive in a swing / backup role...

I agree. Although, kinda funny that considering they were a mess that they still graded better than Buffalo at #21, Carolina at #18. 

Of his 838 snaps last season for the Panthers, he played 412 at left guard, 218 at right guard, 173 at left tackle, 45 at right tackle and two at tight end. He was in for 570 pass blocking snaps and 268 run blocking snaps.  

3. Pressure. Williams was worst in the league at his best position in allowing 12 sacks, according to Pro Football Focus. He also allowed 21 hurries and two hits. His overall PFF grade was 56.1, with a pass blocking grade of 64.7 and a run blocking grade of 46.2.

4. On the rebound? The Bills have to hope that Williams can return to what he showed in 2017. He was a second-team All-Pro selection in 2017 after he started 16 games at right tackle

https://buffalonews.com/2020/03/26/buffalo-bills-free-agency-daryl-williams-offensive-line-carolina-panthers/

At 6'6'' 330lbs I see him at RT and the Bills FO hoping he reverts to 2017 form. 

4 hours ago, Cash said:

Great post. Only thing I disagree with is TE being a draft need. We already have 2 (IMO) promising young TEs on the roster. McD has been very open about his belief of having veterans at every position. Never say never, but I’d be really surprised if Lee Smith got cut for a rookie, and now that Kroft took a pay cut, I don’t expect him to go anywhere either. So that basically means a rookie would need to beat out Sweeney. Certainly not impossible but not to the point that I’d call TE a need in the draft. I think gains at TE need to come from Knox and/or Sweeney getting better. 

I agree that TE will not be addressed via the draft or late stage in free agency (unless there is an injury) I think the organization is fine with Knox, Kroft, Sweeney and Smith. Smith is a role player, Sweeney is decent depth and they seem to be sold on Knox and Kroft splitting the main snaps. I love Knox but I think he is a year away from being truly consistent but Sweeney is a quality backup at best and Kroft is just hurt way too much. 

BUT I personally do think of TE as a weak issue on the roster unless Knox develops faster or Kroft is a healthy consistent player to help ease the burden off of a developing Knox. I am fine with them leaving TE as is and addressing Edge in round 2. But I feel like TE is far from one of the stronger points on the team at least in the short term. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Are they willing to bench Ford for the season? 

If they don't move Ford inside, he shouldn't play unless it's an emergency. He looked lost in pass protection in many games. True he was a rookie, but with Williams now, I can't see exposing JA too unnecessarily hits with the passing game opening up.

3 hours ago, simpleman said:

Beane has made a lot of gambling signings this year. I'd rather he do that, than just stand pat. But let's not anoint him a genius until he actually proves it. He made one major signing that can be game changing. He made numerous "depth" signings. He made a number of signings that were health gambles like EJ and Williams, that "MAY" turn out. We can only hope he can make what appeared to be a depth signing like in the case of Poyer and Lorenzo , who turned out to be a huge winners.(Not HIS victories). But we need to wait to see how his gambles turn out before we give him a win. We can hope for another Poyer signing, but they are quite rare. We have declared a lot of "Winning Pre Seasons" in the past and found out that they did not result in "Winning Seasons". Let us just hope and wait before we judge.

I think what we're seeing with these gambling signings, as you cal, is the exact same strategy as last year.   Last year he signed so many offensive linemen that it was obvious they weren't all going to make the team.    The plan was to create a competitive environment and see who comes out on top. 

Same thing with the the defense this year.  By the time they're done with the draft and other signings, there are going to be a lot of pretty good players fighting for limited slots.   With the O line signings it's the same thing, and they're not done adding players there, either.   

So yes, they're gambling on these players, many of whom have one question  mark or another.   But by signing a lot of them they hedge their bets.   The odds that any one of them plays at a good level aren't great, but the odds that some of them will are increased by bringing in a lot of guys who can compete.   

And it's become easier because the Bills have become a team that a lot of free agents WANT to play for.   They want to be in a winning culture, surrounded by good people and not jerks.   So good journeymen players are willing to take the risk of getting cut, because they want to be on this team. 

It's a good strategy.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I like it. I wonder if they will let Long go as Williams appears to be a swiss army type that can backup at multiple spots.

I still like Ford at RT. 

Keep them all. Long, Ty, Williams/Ford (whomever loses the RT battle) and Bates should be the backup O-line. Ty is a backup LT, Williams Ford backup RT with value to swing into guard, Long backup center/guard, and Bates is a complete swiss army knife as the 9th O-line player. The more high quality depth along your offensive line you have the better. 

Edited by billsfan89