Bills signing Daryl Williams OT

PIZ

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In a league where almost nobody has offensive line depth the Bills now have 8 legitimate starting level players. While we don't have a single dominant elite olineman we have lots of guys who can start. 

interesting comment.  I think that's the kind of Dline they want, too.  

13 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Williams is a capable swing tackle as well. And like 7 years younger. Both have 1 year deals. Don’t make it seem as if Nsekhe isn’t expendable.

Williams was a second team All Pro in 2017. There’s no reason he shouldn’t be our starting RT. If not because of his experience at RG last year he plays RG. At Tackle you have Dawkins, Williams. Ford can play RT as well. Bates stepped in last year and was decent everywhere including C, Feliciano can play all interior OL. 

Nsekhe is not as valuable as some may think.... we will see. But as of now. He’s behind Williams for sure. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Nsekhe is our back up LT.   Nsekhe made 10 starts at LT for Washington in the two season before we signed him.  He played fantastic in those games, that's why Beane went out and got him.  Nsekhe played better than Ford at RT last year in my opinion.  If Ford wasn't a second round pick and given some special consideration by the coaching staff, I don't think Ford gets on the field ahead of Nsekhe at RT last season at all.  The Bills are not getting rid of their backup LT who is on a team friendly 3.7 mil contract this year.  It doesn't matter how good Williams is. 

Beane didn't bring Williams in so he could get rid of Nsekhe.  

Wouldn't be surprised if they were eyeing him as potential RIGHT GUARD, not tackle.

He's a strong run blocker, so I like this signing quite a bit. I really think they're sticking with Ford at RT.

The OL needs an INTERIOR mauler and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the reason for the signing. No guarantees, but no risk.

23 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Williams should win RT. Dude was second team all pro 2017. Ford is his backup. Ford starts at RG. Williams can play LT as well. Feliciano plays everywhere on interior. Bates was solid as a rookie and adds youth. Bates played everywhere last year. You keep 8 right?

Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Ford, Williams 

Feliciano, Bates, Long/Nsekhe? Flip a coin. I just don’t see the versatility in Nsekhe the FO looks for. 

Like I said, wouldn't SHOCK me to see Ford and Williams reversed in that order.

I believe the new CBA made it so that you can have extra players active on game day beyond what used to be allowed, SO LONG AS the extra players are o-linemen. As such, they may keep all of Nsekhe, Long, Bates, etc as depth.

It IS, however, time for Ike Boettger to ***** or get off the pot.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/21/new-deal-would-allow-for-extra-offensive-lineman-on-game-day/amp/

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He'll compete with Ford. I expect Ford to win this competition if he's going to live up to his draft spot.

Nsekhe (spelling) might have something to say about that.

1 hour ago, Motor26 said:

Really wish they had a dominant guy on the Dline. Maybe Oliver becomes that guy in the future.

Well, one is always going to be the best, and that's likely Oliver.   But McD wants guys who cause problems all across the dline, and he seems to have about 6 or 7 or 8 of them now.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In a league where almost nobody has offensive line depth the Bills now have 8 legitimate starting level players. While we don't have a single dominant elite olineman we have lots of guys who can start. 

That's a really interesting reality and a much appreciated improvement over what we've seen in years past.

But if I were a GM, I'd aim to get 2 PB quality studs on the OL.  I think the trench is that important.  

Am I missing something with Foliciano (I know I probably spelled it wrong)?

He filled at C and he also was the player who would tell Morse when to snap the ball in certain situations (the tapping Morse on leg thing he would do). He is an enforcer as well and did he not play well too? I could be wrong, but it seemed even going back during last season that some (fans) were vocal about taking him off the field and not be  a starter.

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Hopefully we have a season. Get a RB in round 2 and let's go. Bills loading up with depth in free agency makes me wonder if they're about to trade more draft picks. It's going to be difficult for our draft picks to make this roster.

Yannick Ngakoue?

I see them probably adding some lower round picks to move up in the 2nd round, so they might have (2nd round + X round)= 6-2= 4? picks left?  Most likely they would keep those. But still a great draft with adding a #1 wide receiver(with experience) and maybe a starting RB in this draft.

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

They will not release Nsekhe.  He is a high quality swing tackle, can play left or right side of the line.  He would be a starter on most teams.  Nsekhe was clearly seen by Beane as our starting RT when they signed him until Ford dropped in the Draft.  He is also first man up at LT if Dawkins gets banged up.  We have plenty of guard depth, not as much tackle depth.  Nsekhe is safe on this roster unless some team is willing to back up a Brinks truck to One Bills Drive to get him.

.....and that may be okay with Nsekhe as it will extend his career.

Offensive linemen (9)

This is the position that causes coaches and personnel men to lie awake at night.  Most teams would love to keep 10 offensive linemen on the active roster because they are so hard to find on the street.  Coaches and personnel will fight over how many offensive linemen to dress on game day.  Can the backup offensive guard play center if called upon?  Can the starting right tackle kick over and play left tackle in case of injury in the game?

Having versatile linemen on the roster is the key for successful teams.  If a club can get away with dressing only seven offensive linemen like the Pittsburgh Steelers did at times in 2012, that allows the team to dress more players at other positions.  Even if a team dresses eight players for game day, most personnel men would love to have a total of 10 players on the active 53-man roster due to the lack of depth at the position league-wide.  Every general manager wants to have two developmental types for the coming years on the roster.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1640782-the-anatomy-of-a-53-man-roster-in-the-nfl

Right now I see the Bills with 10 offensive linemen. Nscekhe, Ford, Dawkins, Williams,,,,,Spain,  Feliciano, Boettinger, Morse.....Bates & Victor Saleako.  .... .... Somehow, I think that they will be able, near the end of training camp, cut this down to 7 core guys and 2 development guys. ...  One or maybe two guys will get squeezed out.  Injury may take care of that.  Maybe we can trade a veteran guy to another team, that had a injury and get some sort of draft pick in 2021.

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

That's a really interesting reality and a much appreciated improvement over what we've seen in years past.

But if I were a GM, I'd aim to get 2 PB quality studs on the OL.  I think the trench is that important.  

Oh I am sure they would love that too. If only it were that easy!