Montana: Patriots 'made a mistake' with Brady leaving

HOUSE

On 3/27/2020 at 4:05 AM, ColoradoBills said:

The TB and BB dynasty is over.  I don't think that is really settling in with people.

Fans worried about NE getting a broken down Cam or Andy Dalton.

TB gone will change the whole dynamics of that team.

My guess is Dalton and I've always thought he's underappreciated.

I think they'll be able to be a solid team with Dalton, likely a playoff team. But yeah, Brady was the secret sauce there. I agree with you that the dynasty is over there unless Stidham is a lot better than we think he is.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:55 AM, boater said:

I disagree with those fans looking for Cam or Andy.

I think NE will bite the bullet and swallow a sucky season or two to get out of cap hell. Kinda like the Bills did.

The big variable: will Belichick stick around without Brady--with the patience to do a rebuild? I predict No BB.

I don't know if it will take two seasons. Right now in terms of the 2021 cap, the Pats are 5th in the league in cap space, with $105M free.

Pending no other MAJOR moves, I think New England is facing a 'worst case' scenario to some...a 6-10 to 8-8...MAYBE 9-7 season if EVERYTHING goes right...but one that will likely not get them in the playoffs, yet not give the franchise much hope in terms of a high draft pick.  Sound familiar to anyone here?

The offense will probably be below average (and honestly, a declining Brady staying there would only have made it slightly better).  The D-unit is likely to be above average, but not top-of-the-league like this past season.  Most of that Pats D was on the wrong side of 28 years of age...the age that Defensive players typically peak in terms of performance.  Its likely some of them will be slightly worse than they were last year...not very likely any of them will be getting better.

Without Brady (a GOOD Brady from a few years ago) being there, they aren't likely to get as many Free agents coming there to play under that leadership....and more importantly they are a lot less likely to get player on bargain contracts (willing to play for the Pats for less money than anywhere else) simply to play with a 'peak' Brady.

If the Pats 'break things down' and create cap room...then in a year or two they will simply be on even footing with just about every other team that has done that.  Long term, the only things the Bills have to worry about with the Pats are if they find a new/creative/effective way to cheat...and if they stumble upon the next great NFL QB....like a Manning, Brady, Brees, or Mahomes.  Honestly, if you look at BB drafting in the past....there is no reason to think he is more likely to find that in todays NFL than anyone else.

6 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Pending no other MAJOR moves, I think New England is facing a 'worst case' scenario to some...a 6-10 to 8-8...MAYBE 9-7 season if EVERYTHING goes right...but one that will likely not get them in the playoffs, yet not give the franchise much hope in terms of a high draft pick.  Sound familiar to anyone here?

The offense will probably be below average (and honestly, a declining Brady staying there would only have made it slightly better).  The D-unit is likely to be above average, but not top-of-the-league like this past season.  Most of that Pats D was on the wrong side of 28 years of age...the age that Defensive players typically peak in terms of performance.  Its likely some of them will be slightly worse than they were last year...not very likely any of them will be getting better.

Without Brady (a GOOD Brady from a few years ago) being there, they aren't likely to get as many Free agents coming there to play under that leadership....and more importantly they are a lot less likely to get player on bargain contracts (willing to play for the Pats for less money than anywhere else) simply to play with a 'peak' Brady.

If the Pats 'break things down' and create cap room...then in a year or two they will simply be on even footing with just about every other team that has done that.  Long term, the only things the Bills have to worry about with the Pats are if they find a new/creative/effective way to cheat...and if they stumble upon the next great NFL QB....like a Manning, Brady, Brees, or Mahomes.  Honestly, if you look at BB drafting in the past....there is no reason to think he is more likely to find that in todays NFL than anyone else.

Stephon Gilmore ain't worried.

https://sports.yahoo.com/stephon-gilmore-unsurprised-brady-leaving-133643090.html

I don't agree with Montana's read. This isn't about having input. BB doesn't give players input so suddenly TB leaves because he doesn't have input after 17 years? That doesn't wash. He wanted to be paid his market value on his last deal and he was willing to leave the protective cocoon of the Patriots to do so. Not only did he want to be paid market value, I think he wanted to do so in new surroundings to put the notion to rest that he is a system QB who can't function without the machinations of the Prince of Darkness. This is about pride and legacy on both Brady's and Belichick's part and it will be very interesting to watch it unfold. To quote ACDC, we are going to find out Who made Who.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/26/2020 at 3:05 PM, ColoradoBills said:

The TB and BB dynasty is over.  I don't think that is really settling in with people.

Fans worried about NE getting a broken down Cam or Andy Dalton.

TB gone will change the whole dynamics of that team.

Gotta find a QB willing to cheat.

• Haha (+1) 1