EJ Gaines is back!

2 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Bring back Jonathan Williams!  

I didn't think it deserved its own thread, but we do have an opening.

I doubt he would cost much to try him out.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Is he still in the NFL?

He played really well for the Colts last year filling in when Mack was injured.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I actually brought this up in a thread somewhere. He looked pretty good for the Colts in spot duty. I think he would be a good change of pace to Singletary. 

I also brought him up as an option in another thread at the start of fa.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I'll never understand why the Bills cut Jonathan Williams. He looked really good in the preseason for Buffalo. I know coach McDermott says it wasn't for any character reasons, but I can't help but think Williams was somehow not a culture/process fit. 

I thought he looked good, not sure what it was about. Needed room for Tolbert??

Gaines played well for the Bills when he was on the field. I hope he can do it again and stay on the field this year. I'm not counting on anything from Norman and I think the Bills cb2 situation is still pretty shaky at this point.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

yea, kj was the roll of the dice that worked. at least we have norman who has a healthy history

Norman may have a healthy history but he was literally one of the league's worst cbs last year. His last good year was 2015 with McBeane.

I understand the difference in systems and I hope he is much better back with McBeane but at 33 I'm not counting on it. 

• Like (+1) 1

If he can stay healthy he’s better than Kevin Johnson. 

32 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Norman may have a healthy history but he was literally one of the league's worst cbs last year. His last good year was 2015 with McBeane.

I understand the difference in systems and I hope he is much better back with McBeane but at 33 I'm not counting on it. 

You’ll be surprised... go read Joe B’s breakdown on Norman

22 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

You’ll be surprised... go read Joe B’s breakdown on Norman

Norman gave up 7 tds on only 46 targets 

9.7 yd/tgt  129.0 passer rtg when targeted.

Those numbers are absolutely terrible. 

Here are KJ's #s for comparison.

Gave up 0 tds on 44 targets

6.8 yd/tgt  79.8 passer rtg when targeted

Joe B was able to spin something positive about those #s?

Edited by Turk71

12 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Yeah you have to consider the scheme and what Norman was asked to do.  Read the article

Also I said EJ was better that Kevin.  Not Josh Norman

Edited by Phil The Thrill

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Yeah you have to consider the scheme and what Norman was asked to do.  Read the article

Also I said EJ was better that Kevin.  Not Josh Norman

I only included KJs #s for perspective as they had about the same # of targets. I didn't think you compared them.

As far as Gaines being better than Johnson I think they both played well for the Bills and they both have a hard time staying healthy. I think Johnson has more upside but I'm glad to welcome Gaines back. I would have liked to have kept Johnson too. Hopefully Norman has a good bounce back year.

7 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I only included KJs #s for perspective as they had about the same # of targets. I didn't think you compared them.

As far as Gaines being better than Johnson I think they both played well for the Bills and they both have a hard time staying healthy. I think Johnson has more upside but I'm glad to welcome Gaines back. I would have liked to have kept Johnson too. Hopefully Norman has a good bounce back year.

I wasn’t as high on Johnson.  I think he played ok

but he got picked on in Houston.  He was fine for a reserve but I don’t think his departure is that big of a loss

12 hours ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

A 2nd string RB and a 1st string QB and we're on our way to the Lombardi

Lets not count out JA- he has improved drastically in the past 2 years. In my opinion motor is a 2, not a 1. If you had to rank him amongst all the backs in the league where would you put him?

On 3/27/2020 at 4:51 AM, Bobby Hooks said:

Pretty much echo the same thoughts. Good player when healthy. Maybe since it’s a one year deal he’ll take extra precautions

You mean like social distancing / keeping at least six feet away from wide receivers?

18 hours ago, Turk71 said:

So we are going to just ignore that Norman played in a system that didn’t fit him?

20 hours ago, Turk71 said:

33 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So we are going to just ignore that Norman played in a system that didn’t fit him?

I mentioned the difference in systems two posts before the one you quoted.

No team plays exclusively man or zone coverage. I think I read that the Bills played man 33% last year, not sure if that's accurate though.

Bottom line is Norman has not played well for a few years now and expecting him to turn that around at 33 is a risk and far from a given. I hope he does, but I also hope that going into the season they are not counting on it.

20 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I think if these 2 players switched teams last year, the numbers wouldn't follow the player. KJ's numbers in Washington's defense last year would have been just as ugly as Norman's were. I believe Norman's numbers would have been pretty good if he played here last year. I'm expecting a good, bounce back season for Norman.

Wait a minute, this is a EJ Gaines thread. Sorry.

Edited by Dopey

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

I mentioned the difference in systems two posts before the one you quoted.

No team plays exclusively man or zone coverage. I think I read that the Bills played man 33% last year, not sure if that's accurate though.

Bottom line is Norman has not played well for a few years now and expecting him to turn that around at 33 is a risk and far from a given. I hope he does, but I also hope that going into the season they are not counting on it.

I will reserve judgement till I see what he plays like back with mcD

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Dopey said:

I think if these 2 players switched teams last year, the numbers wouldn't follow the player. KJ's numbers in Washington's defense last year would have been just as ugly as Norman's were. I believe Norman's numbers would have been pretty good if he played here last year. I'm expecting a good, bounce back season for Norman.

Wait a minute, this is a EJ Gaines thread. Sorry.

Bills are covering their back side. (see what i did there ) with depth. Even if all 3 are playing situational and match  up football , this could work out well for the  Defensive backs and Coach Frazier

Edited by 3rdand12