EJ Gaines is back!

This is great, him and Norman would be a good duo opposite White. Even if they split time it's a good thing. If healthy and Norman back to a solid starter, EJ playing nickel makes for a scary secondary.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

No I was making a point. We signed and cut this guy last year because he couldn’t figure out how to stay healthy. We’re signing someone who’s body looks completely broken down 

Have you looked at his body? Do you know that it "looks completely broken down"? He might have just had very bad luck. We have five solid cornerbacks before him so I don't see what's the harm in bringing in someone who knows the system and has played in it very well when he's been healthy. If he gets hurt, we're already practically playing with house money.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

No I was making a point. We signed and cut this guy last year because he couldn’t figure out how to stay healthy. We’re signing someone who’s body looks completely broken down 

It was an injury settlement. Here’s a tip, stop ‘making your points’. People think you’re clueless. When you post, you remove all doubt

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

It was an injury settlement. Here’s a tip, stop ‘making your points’. People think you’re clueless. When you post, you remove all doubt

No that’s alright I’ll continue making my points, thanks. I don’t like the signing as they could’ve looked for someone else

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Love it, just a kick the tires low risk high reward move. 

I thought he might beat out Kevin Johnson last year for a roster spot.  Two injury prone guys....who lasted...Johnson...his first complete season in a number of years.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Love this signing.

Hes not being counted upon to be a starter so he fills a tremendous upgrade as a depth role. 

Plus one less need at the draft!

That’s an interesting point  , do you think drafting a CB in the 2nd is still a possibility or the focus will be more on offense? Maybe a RB , WR , OL ? 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The Norman pickup was perplexing. 

At best, Norman is a contributor in a nickle or dime role.   At worst, he's a $1.5 million (dead cap) insurance policy who can easily be released or ride the bench in a player/coach/mentor role.   

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-norman-9964/

In 2019, Gaines had a one-year contract for $2.1 million.    He'll likely make slightly less this year, so maybe another $300,000 or so dead cap if released.

Team Contract Type Status Year Signed Yrs Total APY Guarantees Amount Earned % Earned Effective APY
Rams Drafted Traded 2014 4 $2,327,672 $581,918 $107,672 $1,460,672 62.8% $486,891
Bills Drafted Expired 2014 4 $2,327,672 $581,918 $107,672 $1,797,000 77.2% $1,797,000
Browns UFA Expired 2018 1 $4,000,000 $4,000,000 $1,400,000 $3,531,250 88.3% $3,531,250
Bills UFA Terminated 2019 1 $2,100,000 $2,100,000 $250,000 $350,000 16.7% $0

Seems like reasonable bets on both guys...

Edited by Lurker
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Putin said:

That’s an interesting point  , do you think drafting a CB in the 2nd is still a possibility or the focus will be more on offense? Maybe a RB , WR , OL ? 

I thought for sure we were going to target a DB in round 2 before this signing. Now I'm not so sure. 

Our biggest hole right now is a competent backup RB and I've been pining to draft a guy to challenge or even supplant Motor. 

Dobbins is the guy I want at 54. But I'd be happy with Akers or possibly Dillon. Akers and Dobbins would both be upgrades on Singletary. 

Highly unlikely Swift or Taylor are there. 

It also makes sense with the ability to carry extra OL with the new roster rules that we shouldn't rule out OL as our pick.