More Bills Love: "Stefon Diggs... makes the Bills competitive with the Chiefs and Ravens"

Yeah, it's Bleacher Report, but there's nothing else going on right now either...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2882602-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-judging-a-frantic-nfl-offseason-for-every-team

There's Brady, of course. But there's also Buffalo getting Stefon Diggs, who could help transform not just the AFC East but also make the Bills competitive with the Chiefs and Ravens (you read that right).

Bills: Adding explosive receiver Stefon Diggs will go down as one of the best offseason moves the Bills have ever made. Diggs is vastly underrated. Said one NFC West scout, "He will turn Josh Allen from solid to really good." Stock: Up

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 4

You know, I'm really excited about the Bills.   I think they're on the verge of greatness.  

However, I think the love around the country for the Stefon Diggs deal shows us why it's more or less worthless to read the national press about the Bills.  And once you realize it's worthless about the Bills, you realize it's probably worthless about any other team.  

What have we, the people who follow the Bills, known about them since the end of the season?   More or less, here's what:

1. Josh Allen still needs to be a lot better.   He could do do it, but he hasn't yet.  He needs to keep learning.

2.  The oline made good progress last season but isn't there yet.   Since the Bills didn't help the oline in free agency and traded away the #1 pick, there probably isn't help on the way.   Continuity and coaching better be the answer.

3.  The receivers weren't good enough, including tight end.   Diggs should solve the wideout problem.   the tight end room is still filled with unproven players. 

4.  The defensive line was good last year, lost two key contributors, added three promising guys and has Harrison Philips coming back.

5.  The linebackers were shallow and lost Alexander.  Klein should help, but the Bills need at least one other guy who can contribute there. 

6.  The Bills would like to upgrade the #2 corner position and get some depth at safety.   Norman might help, but he's at best a question today.  

As excited as I am, it's pretty obvious that Stefon Diggs doesn't answer the QB question.  Yes, he might make life easier for Allen, but the objective for Allen is to be a good quarterback, not to be a mediocre quarterback whose numbers are okay because his receivers are great. 

Diggs doesn't answer the oline questions. 

Diggs doesn't answer any of the defensive questions.   

Great move, I love it, all of that, but the press sells stars to the fans, and the fans buy it.   So the press all of a sudden is saying look out for the Bills because they got Diggs.  If it turns out that the Bills are seriously good in 2020, Diggs will be only a small part of the explanation.  

People bash Chris Simms, but the fact of the matter is that does his homework and he sees teams as they really are.   So in his podcast, yes, he gushed some about Diggs, but his focus was on the defensive acquisitions.   That's a more mature way to look at what the Bills did over the past couple of weeks.   

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Definitely compete with Ravens.  Not sure about KC.  Tons of weapons there  and orders of magnitude better at play calling on Offense.

Luckily for us, it's strength vs strength and weakness vs weakness (Bills D vs Chiefs O, and Chiefs D vs Bills O), so really anything could happen. Agree it will be very tough. But I think we can at least make it competitive.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

People bash Chris Simms, but the fact of the matter is that does his homework and he sees teams as they really are.   So in his podcast, yes, he gushed some about Diggs, but his focus was on the defensive acquisitions.   That's a more mature way to look at what the Bills did over the past couple of weeks.   

I really enjoy listening to him and orvlosky talk football for their networks. Both at least made it to the nfl level at qb. Both most generally have very level headed takes. And both have been pretty keen on Mcdermott, Allen and the bills since last summer...... so that helps! Haha! 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Definitely compete with Ravens.  Not sure about KC.  Tons of weapons there  and orders of magnitude better at play calling on Offense.

Well... it’s all lip service right now but I think if Oliver keeps developing and the rest of the line holds serve we could get enough rush from the inside out to team with an elite secondary and at least make it interesting. 

32 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I really enjoy listening to him and orvlosky talk football for their networks. Both at least made it to the nfl level at qb. Both most generally have very level headed takes. And both have been pretty keen on Mcdermott, Allen and the bills since last summer...... so that helps! Haha! 

You know, I've never listened much to Orlovsky, and I see comments like this all the time.   Connecticut boy!

I'll go look for him. 

31 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You know, I'm really excited about the Bills.   I think they're on the verge of greatness.  

However, I think the love around the country for the Stefon Diggs deal shows us why it's more or less worthless to read the national press about the Bills.  And once you realize it's worthless about the Bills, you realize it's probably worthless about any other team.  

What have we, the people who follow the Bills, known about them since the end of the season?   More or less, here's what:

1. Josh Allen still needs to be a lot better.   He could do do it, but he hasn't yet.  He needs to keep learning.

2.  The oline made good progress last season but isn't there yet.   Since the Bills didn't help the oline in free agency and traded away the #1 pick, there probably isn't help on the way.   Continuity and coaching better be the answer.

3.  The receivers weren't good enough, including tight end.   Diggs should solve the wideout problem.   the tight end room is still filled with unproven players. 

4.  The defensive line was good last year, lost two key contributors, added three promising guys and has Harrison Philips coming back.

5.  The linebackers were shallow and lost Alexander.  Klein should help, but the Bills need at least one other guy who can contribute there. 

6.  The Bills would like to upgrade the #2 corner position and get some depth at safety.   Norman might help, but he's at best a question today.  

As excited as I am, it's pretty obvious that Stefon Diggs doesn't answer the QB question.  Yes, he might make life easier for Allen, but the objective for Allen is to be a good quarterback, not to be a mediocre quarterback whose numbers are okay because his receivers are great. 

Diggs doesn't answer the oline questions. 

Diggs doesn't answer any of the defensive questions.   

Great move, I love it, all of that, but the press sells stars to the fans, and the fans buy it.   So the press all of a sudden is saying look out for the Bills because they got Diggs.  If it turns out that the Bills are seriously good in 2020, Diggs will be only a small part of the explanation.  

Marv used to say that adversity doesn’t build character, it reveals it. I think Diggs will help reveal what Allen already is. I’ve seen a lot of things from Josh that make me feel he is already one of the top QBs in the NFL. Can anyone really make the argument that Josh is holding the offense back? The only obvious areas of improvement left are cutting down the fumbles when he runs and hitting a couple deep throws. 

He had no strong players in the supporting cast in 2018 (and few that were even to the level of mediocre). In 2019, he had:

Brown who is really like a good #2, but not #1.

Beasley who is really like a good #3, but not #2.

Singletary who showed promise as a rookie.

His limited options force him to have to make plays that are of a much higher degree of difficulty than what most QBs in the NFL face. I can’t imagine there are many (if any) QBs last year that could have got the Bills to the playoffs with that supporting cast.

Hey, go look at some Josh Allen highlights.  He had a really good year 2.  He's a great leader with huge talent.  He is certain to get better.  

He does need to figure out how to connect on the long ball, but he can do it.  Look at how he burned New England and Gilmore.  He's gotta work on that.  

We're not a perfect team, but I think we've got great chemistry and the right leadership.  And the right fans.

I think we need a better backup QB, because sooner or later Josh is gonna get hurt.  

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Hey, go look at some Josh Allen highlights.  He had a really good year 2.  He's a great leader with huge talent.  He is certain to get better.  

He does need to figure out how to connect on the long ball, but he can do it.  Look at how he burned New England and Gilmore.  He's gotta work on that.  

We're not a perfect team, but I think we've got great chemistry and the right leadership.  And the right fans.

I think we need a better backup QB, because sooner or later Josh is gonna get hurt.  

Image result for girl shaking fist GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Troll Toll said:

Marv used to say that adversity doesn’t build character, it reveals it. I think Diggs will help reveal what Allen already is. I’ve seen a lot of things from Josh that make me feel he is already one of the top QBs in the NFL. Can anyone really make the argument that Josh is holding the offense back? The only obvious areas of improvement left are cutting down the fumbles when he runs and hitting a couple deep throws. 

He had no strong players in the supporting cast in 2018 (and few that were even to the level of mediocre). In 2019, he had:

Brown who is really like a good #2, but not #1.

Beasley who is really like a good #3, but not #2.

Singletary who showed promise as a rookie.

His limited options force him to have to make plays that are of a much higher degree of difficulty than what most QBs in the NFL face. I can’t imagine there are many (if any) QBs last year that could have got the Bills to the playoffs with that supporting cast.

That's a very interesting take, and you might be right.   Maybe Allen already is a really good NFL QB and the problem has been that he's had a substandard group of players around him.  

I've been saying for a week what you said - the receiving corps got better at 3 positions with Diggs being added.

And Singletary should be a mature NFL back.  And the oline should be better. 

But just watching Allen tells me that a big part of the problem with the offense has been Allen, not the other 10.  His job is to to get everything right, every play.   That's presnap reads, postsnap reads, decision making, pocket presence, mechanics.   It's all gotta be right, and last year he didn't look to me like he had all of that under control yet.   He didn't perform, play after play, the way Brees or Rodgers or Brady perform, play after play.   I don't think it was about the supporting cast.   I think it was Allen.

I think he will improve.   He's still growing and learning, and he has the right attitude about it.   

The improved supporting cast will cause his play to improve, for sure, but I think he has to grow, too.   If he doesn't grow, I don't think the surrounding cast will make the Bills a big winner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I’d be tempted to go CB in RD 2 for this reason.   

There are no stud pass rushers in the RD 2 range. You can get a stud #2 corner around where we’re picking.  

It’s all about matching up with the Chiefs and their playmakers.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It’s all about matching up with the Chiefs and their playmakers.  

You know, I used to subscribe to this kind of thinking, and I think there's a lot of merit to this approach.

But that is NOT how McBeane are operating.   I don't think you'll see them making player personnel decisions based on the strengths of opponents, especially opponents outside the AFCE.  

They're approach is to build a team that plays football really well, that is really good at adapting their play week-to-week to address the next challenge.  In some ways, their approach is like the approach John Wooden and other good coaches have taken:  we're going to be really good at what we do, and we'll let other teams worry about how to match up with us.  

Beane isn't taking a DB in round 2 because KC has good receivers.   Beane's taking BPA in round 2 and challenging other teams to beat the Bills with his rookie round 2 BPA guy on the field.  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd like to see them get one more solid WR(3rd or 4th round draft pick) and an explosive back to pair with Singletary.... if they do that I like their chances competing with KC.... assuming Allen continues progressing. 

Totally agree. Maybe Jonathan Taylor is still there at 54 or we grab Dillon. I'm convinced we need to draft the best RB available in the 2nd.  And there will be an opportunity to pu a quality young wr in round 3 or 4. I don't see us going after a TE this year. Just have to pray Knox improves?  But the key for me is solidifying an amazing RB duo.

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's a very interesting take, and you might be right.   Maybe Allen already is a really good NFL QB and the problem has been that he's had a substandard group of players around him.  

I've been saying for a week what you said - the receiving corps got better at 3 positions with Diggs being added.

And Singletary should be a mature NFL back.  And the oline should be better. 

But just watching Allen tells me that a big part of the problem with the offense has been Allen, not the other 10.  His job is to to get everything right, every play.   That's presnap reads, postsnap reads, decision making, pocket presence, mechanics.   It's all gotta be right, and last year he didn't look to me like he had all of that under control yet.   He didn't perform, play after play, the way Brees or Rodgers or Brady perform, play after play.   I don't think it was about the supporting cast.   I think it was Allen.

I think he will improve.   He's still growing and learning, and he has the right attitude about it.   

The improved supporting cast will cause his play to improve, for sure, but I think he has to grow, too.   If he doesn't grow, I don't think the surrounding cast will make the Bills a big winner.

He made big strides last year presnap, but you’re absolutely right that he has room to grow in that area. I can definitely recall plays where he missed that there was an extra rusher. Another thing I think that needs improvement on offense is the screen game. Baltimore was the best example where having a good variety of screens sprinkled in could have really helped out Josh a lot. Singletary is the type of player that would thrive on screen plays.