TE in rd. 2?

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Not really seeing a TE in our 2nd Round future, but the two best TE's in this draft will likely be (1)Cole Kmet from Notre Dame and (2)Bryce Hopkins from Purdue. The Missouri kid, not even going to try to spell him name, has a ton of upside athletically as well. The class overall is not as strong as last year, but there will be at least some guys who can make an impact. Kmet is a complete prospect who has good size, good speed, can block, runs solid routes, and has good hands. Hopkins is an excellent receiving option, but I can't say I know much about his blocking prowess. Don't really know much else. 

That Missouri kid, let's just call him Oak, is a stud.  He had some injuries and an unstable QB situation last year.  Had he come out for the draft the previous year, he might have been a late first, high second round pick.

If he's around in the 4th I'd snag him.  Dude's gonna be a star.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

I see the Bills drafting the BPA in round 2 this year... with virtually no chance that said player would be a tight end though.

This. The Bills' draft strategy is to be competent or better at every position going into the draft and never reach for need. 

Knox in 2020 is highly likely to be better than any 2-4th round draft pick this year at that position. Knox has a ton of upside. He has the ability to make the spectacular catch so his skills are not really in question there. He drops a lot of "easy" balls though. That's a concentration issue, not a skills issue. He'll be a stud, IMO.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thaddeus Moss, anyone?

I think Moss needs to become and H back type and do some fullback things. But I like his upside. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

My boy Dalton Keene on day 3 please and thanks 

Love Keene, and like above I do think he can double as a fullback/tight end. I know its early, but I think he is going on day 2. 

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

I would take Cole Kmet, he's a baller with excellent hands

To me, if he’s there in the second you take him. I’d rather have the best tight end in the draft over the 7th running back or tenth defensive end. There is some boom or bust there as he just turned 21. So he will probably need some time. Love Kmet though. And he has the length and height that make him the perfect complement to Knox. Kmet is Gronk to Knox’s Hernandez (minus the murdering). Or more conservatively, Kmet is Typer Higbee and Knox is Gerald Everett. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Less thinking out loud, more research to know what you're talking about please.

Knox is going to be our stud in an already deep TE group.  We need other positions more.

I like Knox too, optimistic about his future. And I agree with you that the Bills should and will take the best player available on their board. That said, if there was a top tier TE prospect there when the Bills have their pick....wouldn't it be great that have that big fast reliable guy for Josh Allen to throw to? I think every quarterback wants that.

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Moss needs to become and H back type and do some fullback things. But I like his upside. 

Love Keene, and like above I do think he can double as a fullback/tight end. I know its early, but I think he is going on day 2. 

To me, if he’s there in the second you take him. I’d rather have the best tight end in the draft over the 7th running back or tenth defensive end. There is some boom or bust there as he just turned 21. So he will probably need some time. Love Kmet though. And he has the length and height that make him the perfect complement to Knox. Kmet is Gronk to Knox’s Hernandez (minus the murdering). Or more conservatively, Kmet is Typer Higbee and Knox is Gerald Everett. 

A lot of people around here seem to think Kmet is a serious prospect. If he's that good, I wouldn't doubt if the Bills would consider him if he's there.

19 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So by this logic you take the best kicker over the second best QB.  Take the

BPA at a position of need within the tier when picking.  If TE, not opposed but doubt it.

8 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

I like Knox too, optimistic about his future. And I agree with you that the Bills should and will take the best player available on their board. That said, if there was a top tier TE prospect there when the Bills have their pick....wouldn't it be great that have that big fast reliable guy for Josh Allen to throw to? I think every quarterback wants that.

A lot of people around here seem to think Kmet is a serious prospect. If he's that good, I wouldn't doubt if the Bills would consider him if he's there.

The only thing with Kmet, is that like Knox, he’s a bit raw. He needs some time so You may not get an immediate impact. But right away he becomes your best red zone threat. Like I said, he just turned 21 last week, so he’s a young 21. But I think his upside is immense. At the very least, I think he could be similar to Kyle Rudolph. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

How Many Tight Ends do we really need ?

Hoarding, it's a horrible thing...

Image result for toilet paper hoarders gif

Lol.

having a lot of tight ends is one thing.  Having good tight ends is another.  At this point, we don’t really have 1 good one. Knox might be, but dropping 25% of his targets tells me he’s not yet “good”.  Sweeney, looked good and could be a nice player....yet he couldn’t get on the field over 3 TEs that aren’t good.  

I’d really like to add someone in the draft, but it’s a pretty week class

IMO, Beane has set us up to go BPA for every pick. All of our picks are going to be depth players this year (as opposed to last season when our first three picks started week one). I strongly suspect that they will evaluate BPA for every position including QB, and whomever that is, starting in round #2, is who we are going to pick.

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

We had our chance with Hooper, but we didn’t pull the trigger.  The Syracuse article about the Baylor WR was interesting and maybe a better option now given the FA TE market is pretty much dead and the draft is light on TE’s.  

Lol, we didnt pull the trigger?  How do you know Beane wasn't in touch with his agent or not?  Free Agency is a two way street where both sides need to have interest and also be close to the same ball park on compensation.  

17 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

BPA at a position of need within the tier when picking.  If TE, not opposed but doubt it.

I think kicker is a different animal, but once you get into rounds 5-7 I would rather have the best kicker or punter as opposed to the 45th best guard. 

I think you are right, that you go BPA within tiers and whatnot, but if the value is that much greater at another position, you draft that guy. The value has to be close to the same, otherwise you are drafting for need. 

9 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

I was just thinking, when is the last time we had a stud TE? We know what difference that makes in an offense, yet we've always had too many other pressing needs. After FA, we don't really have "holes." If we can get an awesome TE in the draft, it would be the icing on the cake. ;)

If I had to list positions that I'm certain would not be our second round pick, they would be in order:

1. QB
  2. FB
  3. WR
  4. TE

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lol.

having a lot of tight ends is one thing.  Having good tight ends is another.  At this point, we don’t really have 1 good one. Knox might be, but dropping 25% of his targets tells me he’s not yet “good”.  Sweeney, looked good and could be a nice player....yet he couldn’t get on the field over 3 TEs that aren’t good.  

I’d really like to add someone in the draft, but it’s a pretty week class

I tend to agree, but I do think that if Kmet came out next year, he’s definitely a first round pick. Right now he is a work in progress. It is not an amazing class, but there are some good players in the bunch. 

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think kicker is a different animal, but once you get into rounds 5-7 I would rather have the best kicker or punter as opposed to the 45th best guard. 

I think you are right, that you go BPA within tiers and whatnot, but if the value is that much greater at another position, you draft that guy. The value has to be close to the same, otherwise you are drafting for need. 

actually would be pretty cool if we drafted the best kicker this year in the later rounds. 

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

If I had to list positions that I'm certain would not be our second round pick, they would be in order:

1. QB
  2. FB
  3. WR
  4. TE

If there was a FB in the draft with a 2nd round grade, we absolutely MUST draft that guy. If there was a FB THAT good, we need him smashing heads in Buffalo. LOL!!!

26 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

This is the most ridiculous attempt to prop up a crappy argument I've seen in a while. Comparing K to TE just to make a point is laughable.