TE in rd. 2?

Not really seeing a TE in our 2nd Round future, but the two best TE's in this draft will likely be (1)Cole Kmet from Notre Dame and (2)Bryce Hopkins from Purdue. The Missouri kid, not even going to try to spell his name, has a ton of upside athletically as well. The class overall is not as strong as last year, but there will be at least some guys who can make an impact. Kmet is a complete prospect who has good size, good speed, can block, runs solid routes, and has good hands. Hopkins is an excellent receiving option, but I can't say I know much about his blocking prowess. Don't really know much else. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

I’d love to pick up Harrison Bryant from FAU, but I’m not sure we are looking at TE in early rounds of the draft. Especially after taking 2 last year. 

Beane has positioned this roster heading into the draft with no glaring weaknesses. I think they end up going DE, WR, OT, DB, or RB with that second rounder. My preference would be DE or WR based on what we’ve done in free agency so far. 

I’m hoping it’s WR, DE or RB. In an ideal world Jonathan Taylor or JK Dobbins slides to us with our first pick. Mims, Reagor, Claypool, Higgins or Jefferson would be a nice consolation prize if one of them slides to us. If all else fails I’d look to Curtis Weaver, Kenny Willekes or Alton Robinson and add a blue chip DE prospect to ease into the rotation, maybe trade down and take Willekes or Robinson RD2.

4 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

I was just thinking, when is the last time we had a stud TE? We know what difference that makes in an offense, yet we've always had too many other pressing needs. After FA, we don't really have "holes." If we can get an awesome TE in the draft, it would be the icing on the cake. ;)

We have Knox, Sweeney and Kroft and you want to draft another TE with our 1st pick, Really!

Pretty safe to say the Bills aren't drafting a TE with their 1st pick, dumb thread! 

41 minutes ago, H2o said:

Not really seeing a TE in our 2nd Round future, but the two best TE's in this draft will likely be (1)Cole Kmet from Notre Dame and (2)Bryce Hopkins from Purdue. The Missouri kid, not even going to try to spell him name, has a ton of upside athletically as well. The class overall is not as strong as last year, but there will be at least some guys who can make an impact. Kmet is a complete prospect who has good size, good speed, can block, runs solid routes, and has good hands. Hopkins is an excellent receiving option, but I can't say I know much about his blocking prowess. Don't really know much else. 

Kmet is clearly the best tight end in the class. I think he is a solid tight end prospect. He isn't Hockenson or Fant or OJ Howard but he is a solid round 2 talent. After that I have a little cluster of guys I think are really 3rd or 4th rounders that includes both the Bryants (Hunter and Harrison), Hopkins and the Missouri kid.... whose name I am also not going to attempt.

Dawson Knox was my #7 tight end last year. He would be my #4 tight end this year.

EDIT: Should have added Josiah Deguara to my little cluster as well he is in that mix in my mind. I really like him.

Also to say I think Kmet could sneak into the late 1st and at least a couple of others will go in the 2nd. But they will be people reaching down the board for need at the position.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

I was just thinking, when is the last time we had a stud TE? We know what difference that makes in an offense, yet we've always had too many other pressing needs. After FA, we don't really have "holes." If we can get an awesome TE in the draft, it would be the icing on the cake. ;)

2 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

I haven't investigated to be honest. I would think there must be a couple of guys out there, but I could be wrong!

2 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

I see. What a pity. I was just thinking TE is often great value in the 1st/2nd round. Gronk was a late first if I recall and Martellus Bennett was a 2nd (also as I recall). Seems usually GMs don't take a TE in the high rounds unless they really have a stable roster already.

Less thinking out loud, more research to know what you're talking about please.

Knox is going to be our stud in an already deep TE group.  We need other positions more.

• Like (+1) 2

As 1manraid just said Knox is that tight end until proven otherwise. Knox presents matchup nightmares just like the Kittles and Kelces of the world. With time running routes and work on his hands he already has the tools to be a stud tight end. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

I see. What a pity. I was just thinking TE is often great value in the 1st/2nd round. Gronk was a late first if I recall and Martellus Bennett was a 2nd (also as I recall). Seems usually GMs don't take a TE in the high rounds unless they really have a stable roster already.

How do you forget that we made one of the biggest draft blunders ever, Gronl was picked 2nd round right after we picked Torrell Troup

3 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

You take a TE when there is a TE worthy of that pick. The same is true for every position but QB. You can’t just take a TE in the 2nd round if there isn’t a TE worth the pick. 

32 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Less thinking out loud, more research to know what you're talking about please.

Knox is going to be our stud in an already deep TE group.  We need other positions more.

Is this sarcasm?  Irony?  Both?

• Like (+1) 1

If we can get Kmet im round 2 you do it... honestly we need to score more point. McDermott has admitted this. So far we have only added one offensive piece. Sure Diggs was huge but we will need more to really make a difference. And what better way then adding a guy like Kmet. We are still short at reciever so adding a tall redzone threat atcthe very least in the passing game.  Just having a big target will help us score more points. And this isnt to mention he is a tremendous blocking TE. And with Ford being so young. Having a TE blocking on the right side of the line would be huge. He can help our run game and our pass game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1