TE in rd. 2?

I was just thinking, when is the last time we had a stud TE? We know what difference that makes in an offense, yet we've always had too many other pressing needs. After FA, we don't really have "holes." If we can get an awesome TE in the draft, it would be the icing on the cake. ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CheshireCT said:

I was just thinking, when is the last time we had a stud TE? We know what difference that makes in an offense, yet we've always had too many other pressing needs. After FA, we don't really have "holes." If we can get an awesome TE in the draft, it would be the icing on the cake. ;)

I have no words as far as this thread is concerned.

But hey! I used to work in CheshireCT when I lived in CT. ?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BritBill said:

I agree but is there a stud TE in this draft? Even more so a stud still there when we pick?

I haven't investigated to be honest. I would think there must be a couple of guys out there, but I could be wrong!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

We had our chance with Hooper, but we didn’t pull the trigger.  The Syracuse article about the Baylor WR was interesting and maybe a better option now given the FA TE market is pretty much dead and the draft is light on TE’s.  

I see. What a pity. I was just thinking TE is often great value in the 1st/2nd round. Gronk was a late first if I recall and Martellus Bennett was a 2nd (also as I recall). Seems usually GMs don't take a TE in the high rounds unless they really have a stable roster already.

The issue is that TEs historically take 2-3 years to develop to the point of being good & true contributors. Gronk & Kelce are recent outliers but Gates, Graham, Witten, etc. we’re Drafted in Rounds 3-4, and took a couple years to be worth the pick. 

Knox had a very Rookie year last year, Sweeney showed flashes of what a decent 2nd TE could be in the future and a 3rd TE at this point is more for what Smith does, blocking.

Now, IMO - I’m not opposed to a TE being Drafted but given the need for a second RB, more CB depth and a young Edge to develop, a TE takes a 4th Round priority. That said, if Beane sees an Ertz or Kelce in the 2nd Round, then I trust Beane to know that and I support it.

4 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

The issue is that TEs historically take 2-3 years to develop to the point of being good & true contributors. Gronk & Kelce are recent outliers but Gates, Graham, Witten, etc. we’re Drafted in Rounds 3-4, and took a couple years to be worth the pick. 

Knox had a very Rookie year last year, Sweeney showed flashes of what a decent 2nd TE could be in the future and a 3rd TE at this point is more for what Smith does, blocking.

Now, IMO - I’m not opposed to a TE being Drafted but given the need for a second RB, more CB depth and a young Edge to develop, a TE takes a 4th Round priority. That said, if Beane sees an Ertz or Kelce in the 2nd Round, then I trust Beane to know that and I support it.

No! stop it with the TE talk. You are about to waste a pick, relax we are ok at TE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don't think TE is a huge need, I have a lot of faith in Knox, but still think Beane should draft one. Okwuegbunam was a guy that in 2019 people were projecting to be the next top 10 TE pick. I'm not sure what happened to him to lessen the hype in 2020 - I've read a big downgrade in his college QB (Lock to whoever) and maturity problems caused him to have a lackluster 2019 season - but if Beane can get his head back on track I think he would be a good pick to develop along with Knox.

I’d like to see the Bills take a quality TE in the draft.  There’s not a lot of good prospects this year though.  From what I have been reading Trautman from Dayton is the best, most complete in-line prospect though he’ll need some development.  He actually looks a lot like Knox on paper.  If we’re wanting more of a flex TE somebody like Hunter Bryant in the 3rd would be a good pickup. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Bigantall said:

No! stop it with the TE talk. You are about to waste a pick, relax we are ok at TE.

If you read what I wrote carefully, my advocacy for Draft picks was for RB / CB / Edge but that if Beane believes a TE is worth any pick at any point, IMHO, he and his team have done enough to warrant my trust, despite my personal doubts or objections. Having said that, TE is arguably one of the *current* weakest positions largely due to the unknown in Knox / Sweeney and that the Bills have a marvelous job of building depth in nearly every other position group. The other group that is screaming for quality depth? Running Back...Corner could be an issue if Norman doesn't rise to the occasion and Edge merely because of age, hence why I said those three before TE and the fact that Knox / Sweeney do seem promising, but when you an opportunity to elevate the play of a position group by Drafting well - you take it. 

5 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

We have Knox and we also have Sweeney, he could also make a leap in production next year. They are the future of this team at the position.

2 for 2 on stud Tight Ends drafted in round 4 and 7 of the same draft year is unprecedented and going all in on that, even a year later, is silly - in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

If you read what I wrote carefully, my advocacy for Draft picks was for RB / CB / Edge but that if Beane believes a TE is worth any pick at any point, IMHO, he and his team have done enough to warrant my trust, despite my personal doubts or objections. Having said that, TE is arguably one of the *current* weakest positions largely due to the unknown in Knox / Sweeney and that the Bills have a marvelous job of building depth in nearly every other position group. The other group that is screaming for quality depth? Running Back...Corner could be an issue if Norman doesn't rise to the occasion and Edge merely because of age, hence why I said those three before TE and the fact that Knox / Sweeney do seem promising, but when you an opportunity to elevate the play of a position group by Drafting well - you take it. 

I'm with you on that, both show potential to be good players, but an elite talent is something different.