Want a WR in the 4th/5th round range?

njbuff

On 3/26/2020 at 12:09 PM, DCOrange said:

I'd be interested in picking Hodgins up in like the 6th round or something like that. Hands/ball skills are obviously very good, but he didn't test very well and that shows up big time in his tape. He has a really hard time getting any separation. I'm not really convinced he can stick on an NFL roster. If we want a WR in the 4th-5th round I think the value is in getting another guy that's kinda similar to the guys we already have (which may or may not be a bad thing). Bryan Edwards would be a more unique fit for us and he might be available in that range. Beyond him though, I'd be looking at Devin Duverney, John Hightower, James Proche, and Kalija Lipscomb. Hightower is a deep threat while the other 3 are underneath guys (Duverney winning with speed and the other two just winning with precision).

Edit: Adding this video of Hodgins. Even with his push-offs he isn't generating much separation, and look at the second play for an example of how hard of a time he can have. I'm just not really sure where he wins in the NFL; doesn't separate very well underneath, struggles to beat press coverage, and struggles to beat guys deep. Seems like the best way he might be able to contribute is purely backshoulder fade type passes? I don't know, not sure I see him as a potential upgrade over Duke and I'm not sure Duke is even good enough to make the team this year.

I am with you. Like him but he is a 6th / 7th / priority UDFA guy. 

The guy I am looking at in rounds 4 and 5 is Bryan Edwards out of South Carolina. He has had horrible luck with injuries this offseason missing the Senior Bowl and then the Combine so now with the virus it is likely he doesn't get to work out for teams. I think he is a late day 2 sort of talent but because of the injuries and a strong receiver class I can see him slipping to to round 4 or even 5. I think he is a steal at that point. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/26/2020 at 7:14 PM, Putin said:

Agree 100% !!  I still think we go RB and WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and possibly another WR in later rounds 

i not sure this is how they lay down their cards. But it would be to my liking. if the are getting a WR than can a spot from what we currently have. and one who is " moonshot " later perhaps.

But RB has to be in play. One who gets on the field with Singletary this year and again end of rounds for PS to develop.
If they can develop Hodgins and he is there he might be a fine pick up as role player.

This is a good year to draft a WR. Have to take advantage of that. Good ones will be in the 2nd or 3rd. After that i don't know. Dont forget John Brown and Beasley are 30 years old. Plus no edge rusher worth it in the 2nd. Weak group

Edited by Cal

15 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

WGR was saying we like Hodgins a couple months ago. Kid looks a little stiff but the hands are niiiiiice. 

I can’t remember for sure but I feel like someone around here mentioned Matt Miller saying we liked him awhile back. Might be where WGR was getting that from.

• Like (+1) 1