Want a WR in the 4th/5th round range?

njbuff

Just now, BillsFan17 said:

Man, Proche is such a hard guy for me to gauge. For the volume of catches the dude had, to only have four games over 100 yards. Seems like an ideal, death by a million paper cuts type of player.

Yeah, he seems like the kind of guy that in past years would have ended up in New England and just killed you underneath. Not sure if they go with a different approach now that Brady is gone but we'll see.

Somewhat due to the depth of the WR position in this Draft and somewhat based on the relative age of two of Buffalo's top 3 WRs, I could see the Bills Drafting two WRs in the Draft: one in the 3rd and one in the 5th, given the rest of the roster. I could also see the Bills goin back to back for WR in subsequent rounds in 4 and 5.....either way, I think this crop of WRs is just too good to pass up on getting a very good one somewhere between 2 and 4. JMO....

still might take one in the 2nd or 3rd round as insurance against Brown leaving after next year...always got to be looking a year or two down the line...hopefully get a young guy now and let him develop so he is ready when Brown leaves or declines

Jauan Jennings might be nice add if we can get him in the mid rounds...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

still might take one in the 2nd or 3rd round as insurance against Brown leaving after next year...always got to be looking a year or two down the line...hopefully get a young guy now and let him develop so he is ready when Brown leaves or declines

I was going to mention in my first reply that I might lean towards Jennings in the 6th over Hodgins as well. Like Hodgins, he struggles big time to separate; he's an absolute load to tackle after the catch though which might give him a better chance at surviving in the NFL than Hodgins.

46 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Still got my fingers crossed for this one

Image result for chase claypool gif

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I was going to mention in my first reply that I might lean towards Jennings in the 6th over Hodgins as well. Like Hodgins, he struggles big time to separate; he's an absolute load to tackle after the catch though which might give him a better chance at surviving in the NFL than Hodgins.

I was seeing scouts talking about him being a 60-80 catch 700-1000 yd type of receiver who is very consistent week to week...won't put up huge numbers but will consistently put up similar numbers week to week...big physical chain mover that can make tough catches...every team can use a guy like that...basically a better version of Duke Williams

Edited by matter2003

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

You wouldn’t want Claypool in rd 3?

Of course you would.  Players like Easley, Ray Ray, Foster and Duke are hardly guaranteed a spot. It would be foolish not to take advantage of such a deep wr class by not grabbing a quality wr who might fall a little. 

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Of course you would.  Players like Easley, Ray Ray, Foster and Duke are hardly guaranteed a spot. It would be foolish not to take advantage of such a deep wr class by not grabbing a quality wr who might fall a little. 

I was just asking RyanC if he would. I don’t think he makes it to our 3rd rd pick, let alone our 4th.  

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I was seeing scouts talking about him being a 60-80 catch 700-1000 yd type of receiver who is very consistent week to week...won't put up huge numbers but will consistently put up similar numbers week to week...big physical chain mover that can make tough catches...every team can use a guy like that...basically a better version of Duke Williams

That seems like an extremely optimistic projection to me. Aside from PFF, I haven't personally seen anyone that's particularly high on him. I know Lance Zierlein, Todd McShay, and Matt Miller for example expect him to go undrafted. PFF has him as a 2nd round prospect though.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

One of the things Beane has accomplished in FA is to set us up to go BPA throughout the draft. I would not be at all surprised if we didn't take a WR at all. With Diggs as a solid #1, this team is fairly stacked at #2 WRs. As I observed in another thread, last season our first through third picks in the draft (Oliver, Ford, and Singletary) started week one, and our fourth (Knox) started week five. This year, we are likely going to be drafting for depth, only. It is unlikely that, barring injury, a single draft pick will start early in the season, unless we get really lucky at pick #54. If Hodgins is available to us in later rounds and is BPA, then sure, we grab him. But, at the moment, WR is less of a need than RB, LB, OT, Edge, or CB.

I disagree and agree.  Some people go overboard with the idea of "BPA".  If we have an all-pro starting center and a good backup,,, they say "the BPA is a center.  DRAFT HIM (and have him sit on the bench for 8 years).  It also implies that you just sit there passively, keep all your draft picks and ignore holes in your roster.  And if you ever draft for need, when then you HAVE VIOLATED THE DIGNITY OF SMART PEOPLE LIKE ME.   ..... Instead, he has used a combination of building the team with free agents and draft picks.  I think he looks at both how the draft is going to unfold AND what FA's are available, (and has the ones he wanted signed before the draft) AND THEN goes into the draft looking for specific players that he has targeted.  Yes, those player are at a specific position.  The draft is also used to CHEAPLY get the impact players who can be of all-pro calibre.  He traded up to get Allen, Edmunds, Ford, Knox, and Dawkins and took Milanio about 60 picks above where most draft publications thought he should go. ...  ... I guess I see him integrating the use of draft and FA's to improve the roster with FA and try to get difference makers rather than incremental improvements in the draft.

We to wide receivers, I expect a feeding frenzy on them and there will be teams that overdraft lower round WR because they get greedy and want to look smart. I expect Beane to use the lower picks for trade bait and to look for the damaged toys, who might be a diamond in the rough.  Vosen Joseph?  Some guy who got hurt his junior and senior year or was playing behind an established golden boy starter of the same graduating class.  (Remember that TT guy?) I really don't see  any rookie that we get in the 4th or 5th round as an improvement over our present 2rd string players. Rather than improving the 2nd and 3rd string backups, I think they will take moon shots in the 5th 6th and 7th round.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Absolutely.  Brown and Beasley both likely have two years left in Buffalo based on current contract and age.   The time to draft a starting WR for 2022 is now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I disagree and agree.  Some people go overboard with the idea of "BPA".  If we have an all-pro starting center and a good backup,,, they say "the BPA is a center.  DRAFT HIM (and have him sit on the bench for 8 years).  It also implies that you just sit there passively, keep all your draft picks and ignore holes in your roster.  And if you ever draft for need, when then you HAVE VIOLATED THE DIGNITY OF SMART PEOPLE LIKE ME.   ..... Instead, he has used a combination of building the team with free agents and draft picks.  I think he looks at both how the draft is going to unfold AND what FA's are available, (and has the ones he wanted signed before the draft) AND THEN goes into the draft looking for specific players that he has targeted.  Yes, those player are at a specific position.  The draft is also used to CHEAPLY get the impact players who can be of all-pro calibre.  He traded up to get Allen, Edmunds, Ford, Knox, and Dawkins and took Milanio about 60 picks above where most draft publications thought he should go. ...  ... I guess I see him integrating the use of draft and FA's to improve the roster with FA and try to get difference makers rather than incremental improvements in the draft.

We to wide receivers, I expect a feeding frenzy on them and there will be teams that overdraft lower round WR because they get greedy and want to look smart. I expect Beane to use the lower picks for trade bait and to look for the damaged toys, who might be a diamond in the rough.  Vosen Joseph?  Some guy who got hurt his junior and senior year or was playing behind an established golden boy starter of the same graduating class.  (Remember that TT guy?) I really don't see  any rookie that we get in the 4th or 5th round as an improvement over our present 2rd string players. Rather than improving the 2nd and 3rd string backups, I think they will take moon shots in the 5th 6th and 7th round.

I'm not sure which part of my post you disagree with? Certainly (and Deane has said this, himself), the goal is to draft BPA within a position of need. My point really is that a) WR is no longer a pressing need (really, #2WR was never a pressing need), and b) likely all of our draft picks this season will be drafted as potential backups-- which if you think about, really opens up the scope of what would be considered "a position of need." 

All that being said, I stand by my assertion that if Hodgins is available in later rounds, he will not supplant another player who ranks higher on their board, likely even if that player is a center.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Absolutely.  Brown and Beasley both likely have two years left in Buffalo based on current contract and age.   The time to draft a starting WR for 2022 is now.

Agree 100% !!  I still think we go RB and WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and possibly another WR in later rounds 

Edited by Putin

On 3/26/2020 at 11:47 AM, matter2003 said:

He's also an outstanding blocker.

Watch "Matt Waldman's RSP Film Room No.195 WR Jauan Jennings (Tennessee)" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/bJCj-p53lNY

Edited by ScorpionZero