Remembering Ralph Wilson

LB48

On 3/25/2020 at 8:16 PM, CDogg20 said:

I met Ralph once while he was walking into his box on gameday. One of the nicest men i’ve ever met. He stopped and took photos with my family. I will never have a bad word to say about the man. May he rest in peace ❤️

That's very cool to know a lot of people today that have money are much different, he had money but he had to earn it & build through his hard work what ever that may have been and stayed humble .

He always helped in the Buffalo community & i thought he & his wife really liked Buffalo as a second home but you never know how Billionaires think so it's good to here that he was still a fairly down to earth person ! 

RIP - Ralph and Thanks !!

Edited by T master
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Grading a poster?  Come on.

Ok so like I said originally, his legacy is definitely mixed and fans such as myself are conflicted 

You can thank your freakin’ god it’s not a policy here.

yet..

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Augie said:

If you want to assign a grade, Ralph was FAR better as an owner than some of our posters. Ralph mattered. 

I do not agree with assigning grades to posters and I believe everyone should be free to voice their opinion, regardless of how unpopular it may be.  This is a message board and contains some facts and a lot of opinions, which it should.  I absolutely do not agree with some of the group think that goes on, meaning mindlessly standing behind an opinion or belief that is 'popular,' whether it be Ralph, Beane, McD, whoever.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Ralph Wilson is arguably one of the most important individuals in the history of the WNY region, and his impact on the NFL is underrated.   He made the city a major league sports team, and what he has done for the health care community and countless other organizations through his charitable works that live on even after his death are remarkable.  He helped save the Raiders and the AFL, he was the point person early on in negotiating television contracts for the league that helped lead the league towards the incredible revenue streams they enjoy to this day, stood up for smaller franchises to ensure that they survived and thrived.  His impact on the league in general was incalculable, and led to his HOF recognition.

Did the team do as well as it could have?  No.  Ralph had his faults as an owner to be sure, and towards the end of his life it was that he let Litman have too much influence.  But stomping on a man's grave on his birthday, a man who contributed so much to WNY, doesn't seem necessary.

Ok so I don’t disagree with anything you said...except the that I was “stomping on his grave.”  I simply pointed out the conflict between a a generous person to the WNY and struggling to put a winning a product on the field for decades.  People criticized me for bringing that up and even tried to refute what I said.  So I was just trying to illustrate the point that - like a lot of fans, I have a mixed view of Ralph as owner.  I’m not ready to bow down and kiss the feet of the statue outside of New Era Field

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

You can thank your freakin’ god it’s not a policy here.

yet..

I know.... Someone might be a tough grader and give me an A- instead of the A+ that I rightfully deserve!  

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I do not agree with assigning grades to posters and I believe everyone should be free to voice their opinion, regardless of how unpopular it may be.  This is a message board and contains some facts and a lot of opinions, which it should.  I absolutely do not agree with some of the group think that goes on, meaning mindlessly standing behind an opinion or belief that is 'popular,' whether it be Ralph, Beane, McD, whoever.  

Sometimes it’s not so much about what you do, but how (or where) you do it.  I feel there is a time and a place for everything. This thread was started to remember him on the anniversary of his passing. I see that in a more reverent way than some others, apparently. 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Ralph Wilson is arguably one of the most important individuals in the history of the WNY region, and his impact on the NFL is underrated.   He made the city a major league sports team, and what he has done for the health care community and countless other organizations through his charitable works that live on even after his death are remarkable.  He helped save the Raiders and the AFL, he was the point person early on in negotiating television contracts for the league that helped lead the league towards the incredible revenue streams they enjoy to this day, stood up for smaller franchises to ensure that they survived and thrived.  His impact on the league in general was incalculable, and led to his HOF recognition.

Did the team do as well as it could have?  No.  Ralph had his faults as an owner to be sure, and towards the end of his life it was that he let Litman have too much influence.  But stomping on a man's grave on his birthday, a man who contributed so much to WNY, doesn't seem necessary.

Agree 100%. His birthday's over now though, so let the bashing resume.

• Haha (+1) 3

21 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Nope watching since 88.... the franchises’ best years with the team built by a HOF GM who was fired for petty reasons.

Yes I am sure you would consider it petty to say you were the son of a *****.   In fact if it is petty change your title to "*****'s son".  Polin was known for making stupid statements and that was most stupid one he could make.

5 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Someone might be a tough grader and give me an A- instead of the A+ that I rightfully deserve!  

Talk about inflation.  A D-- grade being inflated to A-

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Yes I am sure you would consider it petty to say you were the son of a *****.   In fact if it is petty change your title to "*****'s son".  Polin was known for making stupid statements and that was most stupid one he could make.

Talk about inflation.  A D-- grade being inflated to A-

Let’s see... the team that Polian built went to 2 more Super Bowls.  He made it to the NFC Championship game in Carolina a few years later.

Then won a Super Bowl in Indy and set the team up for success for years to come.

Ralph made the right choice firing Bill Polian.... for sure.  

Hope you enjoyed Ralph’s Drought.  Most Bills fans didn’t