Remembering Ralph Wilson

LB48

2 hours ago, LB48 said:

Ralph passed away today, March 25th, in 2014.  Regardless of the hassles, turmoil and lousy teams Ralph brought the Bills to Buffalo and kept them here through thick and thin!  I so wish the Kelly era teams could have won a Super Bowl for the man!  His wife Mary continues on in his memory doing great charitable work in the Western New York area. 

God Bless Ralph!

Yup, agree completely.

A very important man in Buffalo's history and in most of our lives. 

Only wish that he was still around to see what the Bills are going to do in the next five years...

Edited by Mister Defense

2 hours ago, LB48 said:

Ralph passed away today, March 25th, in 2014.  Regardless of the hassles, turmoil and lousy teams Ralph brought the Bills to Buffalo and kept them here through thick and thin!  I so wish the Kelly era teams could have won a Super Bowl for the man!  His wife Mary continues on in his memory doing great charitable work in the Western New York area. 

God Bless Ralph!

I remember being stunned at the news early that morning, followed by many months of dread about losing the team. I acknowledge everything he did for the team & city and he’s worth honoring for many decades to come.

But I don’t miss him.?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just new that "fans" would not be able to help coming in here and saying bad things about the man.

There would be no Buffalo Bills without Wilson. That's all that needs to be said. Without him we'd all be rooting for the Jets, Giants, or heaven help us, the Browns.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, MJS said:

I just new that "fans" would not be able to help coming in here and saying bad things about the man.

There would be no Buffalo Bills without Wilson. That's all that needs to be said. Without him we'd all be rooting for the Jets, Giants, or heaven help us, the Browns.

I’m a fan of the team, not him as an owner. How easy it is for “some” to forget he’d have preferred Miami for his team to locate..

23 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Classless... or just pointing out the reality of someone’s legacy

You can do that in the "Let's take a balanced look at Ralph's legacy thread". It's all about context. 

edit: actually I don't care what you do. Carry on. 

Edited by Bob Chandler's Hands
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For all his failings as an owner, the greatest thing he did was the way he set the franchise upon his death, basically forcing whomever bought it to stay in Buffalo. And to Mary, for massaging the sale to get it to the Pegulas.

As someone else said Ralph Wilson was a great person, but not a great owner. As a team owner his missteps were numerous. He was however very good for the league, especially the AFL. Watch the documentary series “Full Color Football”, Ralph was integral to AFL survival and the merger.

I meet Ralph in a hotel lobby in Palm Beach. I told him I was a Bills fan he stopped and talked Bills with me. His face lit up when he spoke about the Bills. He loved the team and it’s fans. 

3 hours ago, clearwater cadet said:

Good person I assume, as an owner 4  to 7 years of good, doesnt erase 60 years of bad.

Yea 2 afl titles . 10 divions titles , 4 straight SBs. . countless HoF players and HoFr himself

60 years of bad lol the Bills WERE NOT one of the worst franchises

Ralph IS the Bills

Edited by Buffalo716

42 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Thank you for the 17 year Playoff Drought, Mr Wilson 

Ha you really must be a troll to keep bashing him lmao

10 Division titles, 2 AFL titles, 4 straight SBs. Numerous HoF players. HoFr himself

You act like a child

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ha you really must be a troll to keep bashing him lmao

10 Division titles, 2 AFL titles, 4 straight SBs. Numerous HoF players. HoFr himself

You act like a child

How much of that success can be derived from Bill Polian... you know?  The guy Ralph fired over a petty squabble.

Im not trolling - I said he did some good things off the field.  But as an NFL owner, he was bad and the Drought years were miserable largely because of him.  I remember the good Ralph did but also the bad