Remembering Ralph Wilson

LB48

Ralph passed away today, March 25th, in 2014.  Regardless of the hassles, turmoil and lousy teams Ralph brought the Bills to Buffalo and kept them here through thick and thin!  I so wish the Kelly era teams could have won a Super Bowl for the man!  His wife Mary continues on in his memory doing great charitable work in the Western New York area. 

God Bless Ralph!

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

RIP Ralph. He is the reason the Bills are still in Buffalo, and I’ll never forget that. I would not still be watching much NFL without the Bills. I gave up on the NBA after the Braves left. Thank you. 

How long before the mopers begin? 

• Like (+1) 8

God bless him. Might be sad to say, not for the people on here, but to non-sports fans, I can’t imagine this life without the Bills ??‍♂️. Let’s not forget the amount of money he left in his estate to western New York as well. Hope he’s watching this run we’re about to go on the next couple of years. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Ah....Ralph Wilson - somewhat of a complicated legacy IMO.  I’ll say this:

As a philanthropist, he did some really excellent things for people in the WNY area.

As an NFL owner he was not very good for most of his tenure and you can argue that his paying customers deserved a lot better - especially toward his final years of ownership.  

Like someone here said, in the end he kept the team in Buffalo.  Had Ralph or whoever was working with him not negotiated the relocation clause, the team probably moves.

For that, I think he deserves a lot of credit and I have a lot of respect his dedication to the WNY area.

Edited by Phil The Thrill
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

As a philanthropist, he did some really excellent things for people in the WNY area.

As an NFL owner he was not very good for most of his tenure and you can argue that his paying customers deserved a lot better - especially toward his final years of ownership.  

Like someone here said, in the end he kept the team in Buffalo.  Had Ralph or whoever was working with him not negotiated the relocation clause, the team probably moves.

For that, I think he deserves a lot of credit and I have a lot of respect his dedication to the WNY area.

Don’t forget, he lent the Raiders like $400k under the table (and against the rules) to keep them afloat in the early days. He was integral when it came to keeping the AFL alive. His early efforts, then keeping the Bills in WNY and his philanthropy make him a rock star to me. Was he perfect? None of us are.....

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I met Ralph once while he was walking into his box on gameday. One of the nicest men i’ve ever met. He stopped and took photos with my family. I will never have a bad word to say about the man. May he rest in peace ❤️

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This sums up how I feel.  Well stated.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Augie said:

Don’t forget, he lent the Raiders like $400k under the table (and against the rules) to keep them afloat in the early days. He was integral when it came to keeping the AFL alive. His early efforts, then keeping the Bills in WNY and his philanthropy make him a rock star to me. Was he perfect? None of us are.....

Correct.... every owner makes mistakes, but as the owner of the Buffalo Bills Ralph was not very good. His teams were mostly bad to mediocre for the duration of his tenure.  He did strike gold in hiring Polian and yet he fired him.  The franchise was able to coast on the core built by Polian for years. 

After that team got old, it was The Drought and Ralph is ultimately the one response for that.  

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

There were and are A LOT worse owners than Ralph

Anybody who thinks he didn't do enough or try to win is living revisionist history

Ralph Wilson is the reason for our Buffalo bills and he will always be a hero in Buffalo

I didn’t say he was THE worst or that he didn’t try to win.  But as an owner he certainly was bad.  If you don’t believe me, go ahead and re-live the Drought Era.  That was all Ralph’s doing.

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Correct.... every owner makes mistakes, but as the owner of the Buffalo Bills Ralph was not very good. His teams were mostly bad to mediocre for the duration of his tenure.  He did strike gold in hiring Polian and yet he fired him.  The franchise was able to coast on the core built by Polian for years. 

After that team got old, it was The Drought and Ralph is ultimately the one response for that.  

I didn’t say he was THE worst or that he didn’t try to win.  But as an owner he certainly was bad.  If you don’t believe me, go ahead and re-live the Drought Era.  That was all Ralph’s doing.

I never singled you out . Didn't even read your post

People act like we were 2-14 and the worst team in the league yearly. We never even bottomed out during the drought and had a top 2 pick.. we picked 3rd once in the drought

We were always 7-9, 6-10.. mediocre

Far from 2-14 yearly.. and Ralph spent tons of money during the drought... Just on the wrong players

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

In my first post here I wondered how long it would be before someone went where you just did. It didn’t take long.

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

In my first post here I wondered how long it would be before someone went where you just did. It didn’t take long.

He isn't wrong.

And when it came to PURE on the field results, Wilson was one of the worst owners in all of sports. There is no denying that as the team's record during his tenure is in black and white.

He was great with the other stuff, but, like I said, on the field results are what's most important and with that, he failed miserably.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

He isn't wrong.

And when it came to PURE on the field results, Wilson was one of the worst owners in all of sports. There is no denying that as the team's record during his tenure is in black and white.

He was great with the other stuff, but, like I said, on the field results are what's most important and with that, he failed miserably.

You’re welcome to your opinion. I didn’t think a thread to commemorate his passing was the most appropriate place to go there. It seems petty and small minded to me.

Start that thread another time.  That’s just how I see it. You feel free to be you. 

• Like (+1) 5

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

You’re welcome to your opinion. I didn’t think a thread to commemorate his passing was the most appropriate place to go there. It seems petty and small minded to me.

Start that thread another time.  That’s just how I see it. You feel free to be you. 

I didn’t really think it was petty.  I said what most Bills fans feel - conflicted feelings for Ralph the person vs. Ralph the owner.

I also gave him props for his dedication to the community and said I admired that.    

Edited by Phil The Thrill

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

I didn’t really think it was petty.  I said what most Bills fans feel - conflicted feeling for Ralph the person and Ralph the owner.

I also gave him props for his dedication to the community and said I admired that.    

I will respond with....please see my post above. That would be the decent thing to do, IMO. 

seemed like a guy that wanted to win, just couldn't get it done.  I remember how happy he was when we got Mario Williams in FA.  Wish he could have had more sustained success, but a bevy of bad coaching and GM hires harmed him after the Polian/Levy era.  But I suppose, as Dick Jauron once said, "it's hard to win in the NFL."  

Will always appreciate the dedication he had to his adopted city of Buffalo, and glad he kept the team here.  I don't even live in Buffalo, but the Bills are not the Bills unless they are the Buffalo Bills!!

Edited by RyanC883