Projections for 2021 Cap?

Rubes

I know we had a ton of cap space to play with this year, and one thing we heard a lot about prior to free agency is that we also had a ton to work with next year. Has anyone seen an analysis yet of how this year's signings have affected next year's cap space? Just reading about how the Bills have loaded up this year for a deep playoff run, but I'm also curious where we currently stand for next year and beyond, thinking about how well we'll be able to keep the team together (or add to it) for a long stretch of playoff runs.

According to Spotrac we are projected to have 71 Million in cap space.... BUT not all current contracts are on it and...... Tre White and a few others probably need to be locked up long term and it would be a good year to do so. However, dam that seems wonderful. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

According to Spotrac we are projected to have 71 Million in cap space.... BUT not all current contracts are on it and...... Tre White and a few others probably need to be locked up long term and it would be a good year to do so. However, dam that seems wonderful. 

Yeah, that’s what I’m interested in...I’d like to see if anyone’s calculated where things stand with the new contracts...it sounded like a huge number next year, which of course will be less now, but it would be amazing if we can go into next off season with a solid roster and a bunch of cap space to try and keep it all together for several more years...

• Like (+1) 1

In addition, toss in a very likely jump in Cap allowance going forward from the new 10 year CBA the owners rammed through recently. Most pundits were surprised how low the increase was this year (a couple Mil$). For the owners to make a 10 year commitment while handing out a few hundred k$ padding per player, tells me they fully expect to Ca$h in on new streaming services the likes of which will dwarf their previously staunch alliance with DTV. Add in an extra regular season game & 2 more playoff teams and I’m fairly sure we’ll have little problem offering 2nd contracts to our best rookie performers. 

“Our focus is to Draft good players and keep them.” -B. Beane

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

See I am not sold on Tre White just yet he has made plays but against Hopkins, Green, he got owned the question is?  Is it the system because if you watch him against the best wife receivers he struggles.

• Haha (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

See I am not sold on Tre White just yet he has made plays but against Hopkins, Green, he got owned the question is?  Is it the system because if you watch him against the best wife receivers he struggles.

He was a 1st team all-pro!! That means he was deemed one of the best 2 CBs in football. That’s the guy you aren’t sold on? I hate to come here to pee on your Cheerios but at some point in the near future he will be the highest paid CB ever. The Buffalo Bills will be the team making that commitment.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Here’s my wife. Take her. 

• Haha (+1) 3

It’s almost impossible to tell from Spotrac and all the variables with who we’ll pay like Dawkins, Milano, and White, or even extend like Hyde or someone else.

Im confident we should be flush even after we extend those, but we get one step closer to a possible extension the following year or two for Allen, so we’ll have to hold some back.  I wouldn’t worry about it, as Beane and company have been making very good financial decisions.

1 hour ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

You are wrong but would like to understand why you think so. 

15 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

Correct.

Spotrac is getting that number by increasing the projected 2021 cap based on previous years' hikes. They are also then factoring in rolling over the team's current cap space. 

I believe there are still 1 or 2 deals left to factor in to this years cap. 

I know everybody is in a super big hurry to get Tre signed, but the team doesn't have to be. He is under control for 2 more years on his rookie deal. Obviously every day they wait his price goes up, but they likely pay it regardless as he has been identified as one of the best players in the league. 

I think MIlano and Dawkins will take precedence. They're going to be very interesting. Both will command top dollar at their position, and both have been identified as core pieces by the administration. However, neither at this point is a Pro-Bowl level talent. 

I will be curious to see what McBeane does. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He was a 1st team all-pro!! That means he was deemed one of the best 2 CBs in football. That’s the guy you aren’t sold on? I hate to come here to pee on your Cheerios but at some point in the near future he will be the highest paid CB ever. The Buffalo Bills will be the team making that commitment.

Wasn't Josh Norman the best corner in football until he left McDermotts Scheme.

5 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Here’s my wife. Take her. 

I am talking about Tre White now.  You can give me your wife later.

Edited by Marvlevydraftdaygenius

4 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

You are wrong but would like to understand why you think so. 

Because when Josh Norman played under Sean McDermott he was the best corner in the game he goes to Washington with a big contract and what happend they could not drive him to the airport fast enough.  Everyone wants to blame the Texans game on Josh but we don't look at how poorly Tre White played against Hopkins in the second half. To give a corner an 80 million dollar contract you have to be Revis and Deon Sanders out there take away one side of the field and forget about it.

Edited by Marvlevydraftdaygenius

17 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Wasn't Josh Norman the best corner in football until he left McDermotts Scheme.

I am talking about Tre White now.  You can give me your wife later.

Cam Newton was once the NFL MVP and now he was cut. What does that have to do with anything?

Tre White was 1st team all-pro. That’s a fact. Tre White will end up the highest paid CB ever (that will be a fact when he signs an extension). Whether you think he’s top 2 or top 5 that can be debated. If you think he’s outside of the top 10 that’s not a reasonable argument. That can’t be supported. Even if you think he’s the 8th best CB in football (which would be a massive stretch) that’s where you want to draw the line? 

2 hours ago, Clemfield2622 said:

Correct.

Spotrac is getting that number by increasing the projected 2021 cap based on previous years' hikes. They are also then factoring in rolling over the team's current cap space. 

I believe there are still 1 or 2 deals left to factor in to this years cap. 

I know everybody is in a super big hurry to get Tre signed, but the team doesn't have to be. He is under control for 2 more years on his rookie deal. Obviously every day they wait his price goes up, but they likely pay it regardless as he has been identified as one of the best players in the league. 

I think MIlano and Dawkins will take precedence. They're going to be very interesting. Both will command top dollar at their position, and both have been identified as core pieces by the administration. However, neither at this point is a Pro-Bowl level talent. 

I will be curious to see what McBeane does. 

Good explanation and yes Spotrac has already baked in a decent 2021 cap increase in their numbers.

Tre White will no doubt be getting an accepted 5th year option soon so his numbers will get reflected for 2021.

You are right they may hold off on his contract and go for the others.

FWIW, the new CBA has changed the 2 tier 5th year option and ALL 1st rounders get the same 1st round money.

Using that calculation I would image that Tre's 5th year option will be a little over 14 million which is fully guaranteed now.

These 5th year options are not as cheap as people think they are.

17 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

He didn't get owned by Hopkins at all.  Isn't he the one that caused a fumble on Hopkins in the playoff game?  He's faced him twice and held his own both times. Hopkins made a few plays, but he wasn't owning Tre.  The game against Green he was his rookie year if I recall.  He's done well game in and game out against other great WRs.  Not sold?  You need to stop. LoL 

On 3/26/2020 at 11:56 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Cam Newton was once the NFL MVP and now he was cut. What does that have to do with anything?

Tre White was 1st team all-pro. That’s a fact. Tre White will end up the highest paid CB ever (that will be a fact when he signs an extension). Whether you think he’s top 2 or top 5 that can be debated. If you think he’s outside of the top 10 that’s not a reasonable argument. That can’t be supported. Even if you think he’s the 8th best CB in football (which would be a massive stretch) that’s where you want to draw the line? 

Remember Marcel Dareus.

18 hours ago, purple haze said:

He didn't get owned by Hopkins at all.  Isn't he the one that caused a fumble on Hopkins in the playoff game?  He's faced him twice and held his own both times. Hopkins made a few plays, but he wasn't owning Tre.  The game against Green he was his rookie year if I recall.  He's done well game in and game out against other great WRs.  Not sold?  You need to stop. LoL 

watch the second half