OldTimer1960

Draft: DE Prospect Opinions

7 hours ago, freddyjj said:

39 sacks over the past 4 seasons seems like good production to me.  Puts  him in top 10 in league range.  

Yea I saw that... I'd be interested to see those sacks last season.... I've rewatched some Carolina games from last season(Houston, Green Bay, SF). He was basically non existent in getting to the QB and providing pressure. Often engaged and stood up easily.... he does bust his ass for the entirety of the down though. 

Carter Coughlin is somebody in the 5th we could look at. OLB/ pass rusher. He could add 20 lbs and play end after being in the league a couple seasons. Developmental type. Hard worker with some twitch. 

Posted (edited)

Any players in the draft like Maxx Crosby?  Raiders drafted him in the 4th round out of Eastern Michigan and he had 10 sacks as a rookie. I do remember the Bills being linked to him predraft, but the Raiders got him. 

Any under the radar, small school DEs in the draft?

Found one. 6’ 5” - 225 lbs. Lake Forest College. 14.5 sacks as a senior. 

Jordan McInerney

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7877550

I always root for the long shot underdog. This guy will likely never make it, but who knows. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/sports/ct-lns-spt-college-football-lake-forest-jordan-mcinerney-st-111319-20191112-w253as2uaveaxd6bw466x7baui-story.html

Reminds me of Dan Brandenburg. It took me 30 minutes to remember his name, so I hope you appreciate it. 😁

https://gosycamores.com/honors/hall-of-fame/dan-bradenburg/43

Edited by PIZ

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

Any players in the draft like Maxx Crosby?  Raiders drafted him in the 4th round out of Eastern Michigan and he had 10 sacks as a rookie. I do remember the Bills being linked to him predraft, but the Raiders got him. 

Any under the radar, small school DEs in the draft?

Found one. 6’ 5” - 225 lbs. Lake Forest College. 14.5 sacks as a senior. 

Jordan McInerney

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7877550

I always root for the long shot underdog. This guy will likely never make it, but who knows. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/sports/ct-lns-spt-college-football-lake-forest-jordan-mcinerney-st-111319-20191112-w253as2uaveaxd6bw466x7baui-story.html

Reminds me of Dan Brandenburg. It took me 30 minutes to remember his name, so I hope you appreciate it. 😁

https://gosycamores.com/honors/hall-of-fame/dan-bradenburg/43

My sleeper who I have a 3rd on but I think I am higher than everyone else is Bryce Huff out of Memphis. Size, explosion, bend, hustle. Love the kid. 

On 3/26/2020 at 10:22 PM, ScottLaw said:

Addison isn’t a great pass rusher. He gets handled rather easily.... not sure a good edge guy will be there at 54, but I wouldn’t be opposed to them drafting one.

Doesnt matter if he's good or not

We signed him paid him a lot of money, and that's who were going with.

You don't do all that the reach at the same position early in draft

8 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

Gimme Greenard or Robinson in the 3rd.

Robinson is a buzz saw and would be great value RD3. Needs to be coached up more but could be a 8-10 sack per year kind of player. Should be there, if not give me Kenny Willekes.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Afernee Jennings OB/ER from Alabama. I saw a highlight video on him and he seems to be undervalued on many "big boards". The guy plays like a clone of Lorenzo Alexander. I could possibly see him as the Bills 2nd round pick.

Posted (edited)

I like Darrell Taylor from Tennessee, I don't think he has been mentioned here. Consistently good against top level competition. Not sure where he is projected but unfortunately he has been getting some positive buzz lately and could be moving up a little.

Some mentioned tight ends in this thread. I like Jacob Breeland from Oregon, he missed most of last year with injury and was not ready for the combine. The guy is a legitimate threat in the passing game and doesn't mind mixing it up in the run game. He could be a steal in the later rounds. (not sure where he is projected to go)

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/sacks-per-game

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2868989-nfl-power-rankings-final-2019-20-regular-season-review-and-standings

Let's not get too much in love with sack totals.  Sacks are exciting plays.  A play with QB pressure and tight defense that winds up with a safe incomplete pass are not.  Some teams really tee off on a poor team when they are way ahead and don't have to worry about a 20 yard running play with the clock running.  Here is a partial list of 2019 sack totals and a power ranking of teams at the end of the year.

team                sack per game  ranking at end of year (8 teams only)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pitt                   3.4

carolina           3.3

san fran           3.2                   2

new orlean       3.2                   3

LA                    3.1

Buffalo              3.0

Minni              2.9                   8

Tampa            2.9

Jack                2.9

Wash              2.9

KC                  2.8                   4         

Pats                 2.8

GB                  2.6                   5

Philli               2.6

Tenn               2.6

Indi                 2.6

…………

Baltimore       2.2                   1

Seattle             2.2                   7

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

22 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I like Darrell Taylor from Tennessee, I don't think he has been mentioned here. Consistently good against top level competition. Not sure where he is projected but unfortunately he has been getting some positive buzz lately and could be moving up a little.

Some mentioned tight ends in this thread. I like Jacob Breeland from Oregon, he missed most of last year with injury and was not ready for the combine. The guy is a legitimate threat in the passing game and doesn't mind mixing it up in the run game. He could be a steal in the later rounds. (not sure where he is projected to go)

The Draft Network has Taylor as the 86th ranked prospect, so that is in line for Buffalo's 3rd round pick.

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

The Draft Network has Taylor as the 86th ranked prospect, so that is in line for Buffalo's 3rd round pick.

Yea late 3rd feels about right. Was watching some of him earlier. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea late 3rd feels about right. Was watching some of him earlier. 

I watch a lot of college ball and I thought he was Tennessee's best player last year.

I wonder if the Bills like him though?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I watch a lot of college ball and I thought he was Tennessee's best player last year.

He reminds me a LOT of Shaq actually. His weakness is he is slow off the ball and he doesn't have Shaq's hands to compensate but if the Bills want to replace Shaq with a guy who like Lawson will never be out of his lane, understands how to set the edge and force the ball into the teeth of the defense and can win with effort and power then Taylor makes a lot of sense. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I watch a lot of college too and felt the same way. I have no idea if he's on their radar but I hope so. I've read a couple of profiles that said his attributes should translate well to the pro game physically but will need development. I'm thinking he could be a 3rd or 4th rounder maybe (just guessing) but really don't have a good idea where he projects to in the draft.

Edited by Turk71

Just now, Turk71 said:

I watch a lot of college too and felt the same way. I have no idea if he's on their radar but I hope so. I've read a couple of profiles that said his attributes should translate well to the pro game. I'm thinking he could be a 3rd or 4th rounder maybe but really have a good idea where he projects to in the draft.

Taylor looks explosive off the edge and if I am the Bills I would take him in the 3rd round.

Why the hell not? Hughes is 32, Addison is 33 and Murphy is 30.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Taylor looks explosive off the edge and if I am the Bills I would take him in the 3rd round.

Why the hell not? Hughes is 32, Addison is 33 and Murphy is 30.

I wouldn't hate it, not sure how that fits with their priorities this draft. 

Not having a first might have them drafting for certain positions of immediate need in the 2nd and 3rd?

Obviously have no idea what they are thinking but beyond the top tier edge prospects he's one that I like.

Edited by Turk71

On 3/26/2020 at 7:22 PM, ScottLaw said:

Addison isn’t a great pass rusher. He gets handled rather easily.... not sure a good edge guy will be there at 54, but I wouldn’t be opposed to them drafting one.

Are we talking about the Mario Addison that’s top 10 in the league in sacks over the past four years? You’re saying HE can’t rush the passer?!

I’ll say this about you: you’re consistent.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Logic said:

Are we talking about the Mario Addison that’s top 10 in the league in sacks over the past four years? You’re saying HE can’t rush the passer?!

I’ll say this about you: you’re consistent.

Was specifically referring to him last season.... watch some tape on him from 2019. I actually thought he looked better rushing from inside than at edge....and I was more impressed with Butler than Addison.

Edited by ScottLaw
  • Like (+1) 1

Weak group. Go get Clowney 

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Was specifically referring to him last season.... watch some tape on him from 2019. I actually thought he looked better rushing from inside than at edge....and I was more impressed with Butler than Addison.

And just to back you up a little Scott - his pressures were down in 2019 on 2018. He did a good job of finishing when he got there and the fact that he still produced the sacks is a credit to him. But he had 43 Quarterback pressures in 2018 and only 22 in 2019 according to PFF. Now people can say what they like about PFF and quibble about what is a pressure because it is an unofficial stat but both numbers are using the PFF system and show a significant drop off.

Maybe he continues to be as productive when he gets there as he was last year. But if he continues to struggle to generate as many pressures as he did in his prime then you can expect the sack number to begin to slide at some point.

I hope I am wrong but I think the sack number hides what was visually a decline in Addison's effectiveness in 2019. Will remain to be seen but I like this move the least of all the moves the Bills made. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And just to back you up a little Scott - his pressures were down in 2019 on 2018. He did a good job of finishing when he got there and the fact that he still produced the sacks is a credit to him. But he had 43 Quarterback pressures in 2018 and only 22 in 2019 according to PFF. Now people can say what they like about PFF and quibble about what is a pressure because it is an unofficial stat but both numbers are using the PFF system and show a significant drop off.

Maybe he continues to be as productive when he gets there as he was last year. But if he continues to struggle to generate as many pressures as he did in his prime then you can expect the sack number to begin to slide at some point.

I hope I am wrong but I think the sack number hides what was visually a decline in Addison's effectiveness in 2019. Will remain to be seen but I like this move the least of all the moves the Bills made. 

The tape doesn’t lie. I saw him get engaged and dealt with easily for the most part of the games I saw(Tampa, Arizona, SF, Jacksonville). I’m going to continue watching but it’s slightly concerning....But I was very impressed with Butler..... 

They got too ex Carolina happy with their FA signings, IMO. Maybe they surprise everyone and still bring in Clowney, but I’m a little more concerned about the current DE position to this point watching some of Addison last season and an older Hughes.... I’d be ok with edge rusher at 54. 

Edited by ScottLaw
  • Like (+1) 2